Amp and Cable suggestions
Aug 20, 2001 at 1:45 AM Post #16 of 29
Ctn, I wouldn't recommend any of those cables on the link you gave. Transparents are a bit pricey and supposedly cut off highs and don't sound the best possible and Monster is the Bose of cables, overpriced & underperforming.

A preamp is used for accepting mutliple inputs, something else, and sends it to the power amp, I doubt you need this. Something on balancing the power amp's input...

A normal amp would destroy your headphones (too much power, unless you have AKG K1000s at least) so stick with a headphone amp (some integrated amps have headphone amps, though not as good as an independent amp).

Actually for some reason, some headphone amps can act as preamps...

I'd recommend bootman's suggestion now though... $200 for the Creek OBH-11 and $80 for the MIT T2, you can get it from www.audioadvisor.com

Aug 20, 2001 at 3:03 AM Post #17 of 29
great thanx...that's what i needed to know
smily_headphones1.gif

how about a normal amp with a phone jack?
i want to save on cost when i add some speakers later

what kind of cables would u recommend?

Aug 20, 2001 at 5:20 AM Post #18 of 29
A "normal" amp, rather, integrated amplifier, which consists of the preamp and poweramp (I recommend a Nad C340, I think <$400 or a Rotel amp) has a decent headphone output, not as good as getting a dedicated but it is fairly good. It can drive speakers and headphones but trust me, you will be spending more than that in this hobby
wink.gif

And I'd go to www.audioadvisor.com and check out cables from MIT, I'd recommend like a MIT Terminator 4 or something cheap for starters. There are tons of other good cheap cables out there. I would not get Monster cable though, just for the reference... but if you want, get any cheap shielded cable temporarily and worry about better ones later.

Aug 20, 2001 at 7:17 AM Post #19 of 29
hehe i know
tongue.gif

this can b a very expensive hobby...heck i see cables cost as much as 30k !!!! and that's only at 1 shop i been to
frown.gif

im trying to get in cheap then build up when i get more cash hehe

there arent ne retailers in oz that sell nad amps nor headphone amps
frown.gif

how about denon or amc integrated amps?

Aug 20, 2001 at 7:53 AM Post #20 of 29
I JUST ordered a new Creek OBH-11 from Headroom for auditioning against the X-Cans I won on eBay. The X-Cans wound up as a better match for the 580's I have, but if you need a Creek then I would be glad to sell you mine. Otherwise, I'm going to return it to Headroom for a refund before the 30-day period is up.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll hang onto it for you.

Aug 20, 2001 at 8:22 AM Post #21 of 29
what's ur email
smily_headphones1.gif

im interested
smily_headphones1.gif
but a little short on cash atm lol
too much spent on headphones and cd player
biggrin.gif

how much for the creek?

i live in oz...if u dont like in oz...prob too much of a hasle for u

Aug 20, 2001 at 9:02 AM Post #25 of 29
hehe im not aussie
tongue.gif
just live here

aww that's kewl then
thanx for the offer
smily_headphones1.gif

ill try to find a shop down here that stocks them
i dont like my eq travelling great distances hehe incase some1 drops em in transit

Aug 20, 2001 at 10:00 AM Post #27 of 29
will do
smily_headphones1.gif

out of curiousity what didnt u like about the creek with ur 580's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back