AMP/DAC Combination for HD800S (Schiit, Fostex, Marantz, TEAC)
May 23, 2020 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Kagelou

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Been a while since I came to this section in headfi, as I was quite content with what I have.
However, I believe I have contracted the all to familiar "upgradetitus", and this time its a severe case.

I am now looking for what will probably be my end game setup (or at least a long term setup) since I plan to get married soon.
Currently planning to center the setup around the HD800S, as I will be using this solely with my desktop computer for both listening to music and gaming (probably a 7:3 ratio).

To accompany the HD800S, I am also looking to get a nice amp and dac.
After looking around head-fi and reddit, I have read good reviews on the below amp/dacs as well as some comments that address synergy with the HD800S.
※I currently live in Japan, so would need to consider shipping + tax for Schiit; I can get the Fostex locally

Schiiit Audio Jotunheim (AMP + AK4490 DAC)
・$685 total
 ⇒Jotunheim: $500
 ⇒Shipping: $55
 ⇒Taxes: $30
 ⇒Transformer: $100

Schiit Audio Bifrost 2 + Valhalla 2
・$1320 total
 ⇒Bifrost: $700
 ⇒Valhalla: $350
 ⇒Shipping: $105
 ⇒Taxes: $65
 ⇒Transformer: $100

Fostex HP-A4BL
・$400 total
 ⇒HP-A4BL: $400

Marantz HD-DAC1
・$700 total
 ⇒HD-DAC1: $700

TEAC UD-505-B
・$1200 total
 ⇒UD-505-B: $1200

I am leaning towards the Bifrost + Valhalla combo, but the additional $170 from shipping and taxes is making me think I might be able to get something better locally for $1200. Same goes for the Jotunheim, I feel that the HP-A4BL would just be a safer choice considering shipping, taxes, and ease of return if anything goes wrong.
(I do like the fact that all of the Schiit devices look simple and elegant; sound is most important, but I do want my desk looking crisp.)

I am open to any other suggestions, especially if I can get my hands on it easily in Japan.
Budget would be around $500~$1200 and yes I understand its diminishing returns after around $300.

Some other points I am trying to get answers to, would be great if anyone can give their insight.
・If I get the Jotunheim or the HP-A4BL, should I also consider going balanced on the HD800S? (would probably cost an additional $150 or so)
・I dislike the fact that the Jotunheim and Valhalla both have the power switch on the back, hence if I decide on one of them, I was thinking of leaving the power switch on and controlling the power via the outlet; any reason this should not be advised?
・I am not really considering the Jotunheim Multibit unless the difference is substantial; should I even consider it?
・If I get any of the Schiit devices (115V), will I need to get a step-up transformer to use them in Japan (110V)?

Looking forward to comments and suggestions, have always appreciated the feedback from the members on head-fi!

Sincerely,
Kagelou
_________
5/24 edit: Added Marantz HD-DAC1, TEAC UD-505-B, added cost of transformer

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 15
I've heard really good things about either of those Schiit combos. I personally run a Mjolnir 2+Gungnir Multibit and I feel like it couldn't get any better. In all honestly it probably sounds the same as the gear you listed. I just went this route so i could preamp studio monitors as well. Did you buy the HD800S yet? It already comes with a voucher that will get you balanced cable from their store for free. I would personally go for the Jot since it can run planars if you end up going that route down the line. As far as the difference between D/S and Multibit goes.. apparently D/S is more accurate but Multibit sounds better. Don't ask me how.

EDIT: Always turn off the amp via the switch lol.

May 23, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 15
Hi all,

Been a while since I came to this section in headfi, as I was quite content with what I have.
However, I believe I have contracted the all to familiar "upgradetitus", and this time its a severe case.

I am now looking for what will probably be my end game setup (or at least a long term setup) since I plan to get married soon.
Currently planning to center the setup around the HD800S, as I will be using this solely with my desktop computer for both listening to music and gaming (probably a 7:3 ratio).

To accompany the HD800S, I am also looking to get a nice amp and dac.
After looking around head-fi and reddit, I have read good reviews on the below amp/dacs as well as some comments that address synergy with the HD800S.
※I currently live in Japan, so would need to consider shipping + tax for Schiit; I can get the Fostex locally

Schiiit Audio Jotunheim (AMP + AK4490 DAC)
・$585 total
 ⇒Jotunheim: $500
 ⇒Shipping: $55
 ⇒Taxes: $30

Schiit Audio Bifrost 2 + Valhalla 2
・$1220 total
 ⇒Bifrost: $700
 ⇒Valhalla: $350
 ⇒Shipping: $105
 ⇒Taxes: $65

Fostex HP-A4BL
・$400 total
 ⇒HP-A4BL: $400

I am leaning towards the Bifrost + Valhalla combo, but the additional $170 from shipping and taxes is making me think I might be able to get something better locally for $1200. Same goes for the Jotunheim, I feel that the HP-A4BL would just be a safer choice considering shipping, taxes, and ease of return if anything goes wrong.
(I do like the fact that all of the Schiit devices look simple and elegant; sound is most important, but I do want my desk looking crisp.)

I am open to any other suggestions, especially if I can get my hands on it easily in Japan.
Budget would be around $500~$1200 and yes I understand its diminishing returns after around $300.

Some other points I am trying to get answers to, would be great if anyone can give their insight.
・If I get the Jotunheim or the HP-A4BL, should I also consider going balanced on the HD800S? (would probably cost an additional $150 or so)
・I dislike the fact that the Jotunheim and Valhalla both have the power switch on the back, hence if I decide on one of them, I was thinking of leaving the power switch on and controlling the power via the outlet; any reason this should not be advised?
・I am not really considering the Jotunheim Multibit unless the difference is substantial; should I even consider it?
・If I get any of the Schiit devices (115V), will I need to get a step-up transformer to use them in Japan (110V)?

Looking forward to comments and suggestions, have always appreciated the feedback from the members on head-fi!

Sincerely,
Kagelou

I can't answer all of your questions but like you I live in Japan and I own a schiit magni 3. You will have to get a step up transformer, if you don't there will be a very loud feedback sound.

May 23, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 15
I've heard really good things about either of those Schiit combos. I personally run a Mjolnir 2+Gungnir Multibit and I feel like it couldn't get any better. In all honestly it probably sounds the same as the gear you listed. I just went this route so i could preamp studio monitors as well. Did you buy the HD800S yet? It already comes with a voucher that will get you balanced cable from their store for free. I would personally go for the Jot since it can run planars if you end up going that route down the line. As far as the difference between D/S and Multibit goes.. apparently D/S is more accurate but Multibit sounds better. Don't ask me how.

EDIT: Always turn off the amp via the switch lol.

Mjolnir and Gungnir would be out of budget, but as you mentioned, I think the Jotunheim or Bifrost + Valhalla combo should suffice my needs.
Nope, I have yet to get the HD800S and was not aware of the voucher, thanks for this heads up! I assume you use the HD800S with the balanced XLR?
Thanks for the input on D/S vs Multibit and amp on/off too.

I can't answer all of your questions but like you I live in Japan and I own a schiit magni 3. You will have to get a step up transformer, if you don't there will be a very loud feedback sound.

Ah, so that's an additional cost to getting any of the Schiit products...Don't have a transformer yet, could you share which one you use as reference?

May 23, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 15
Mjolnir and Gungnir would be out of budget, but as you mentioned, I think the Jotunheim or Bifrost + Valhalla combo should suffice my needs.
Nope, I have yet to get the HD800S and was not aware of the voucher, thanks for this heads up! I assume you use the HD800S with the balanced XLR?
Thanks for the input on D/S vs Multibit and amp on/off too.

Ah, so that's an additional cost to getting any of the Schiit products...Don't have a transformer yet, could you share which one you use as reference?

I bought this one on Amazon.
VCT VT-1000J - Japanese Step Up/Down Voltage Transformer Converts Japan 100 Volts To 120Volts OR Vice Versa -1000 Watt,black

May 23, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 15
I bought this one on Amazon.
VCT VT-1000J - Japanese Step Up/Down Voltage Transformer Converts Japan 100 Volts To 120Volts OR Vice Versa -1000 Watt,black

Thanks for the share!
That is quite an expensive converter though, an additional $250...

May 23, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 15
Oh wow I ordered on US Amazon and it was $69.

May 23, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 15
Screenshot_20200524-122150.png

May 23, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 15
Oh wow I ordered on US Amazon and it was $69.

Amazon Japan has it up for 27,807 JPY which is around 250 USD =/
Just to confirm, seems like this transformer converts between 100V and 120V (both ways), no issues with running the 115V Schiit products?

May 23, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 15
It converts both ways and it's on my vanatoos right now working perfectly. I would look at making a US account and ordering that way.

May 23, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 15
It converts both ways and it's on my vanatoos right now working perfectly. I would look at making a US account and ordering that way.

I actually found a step-up transformer (1 input and output, 100V⇒120V) for around 30 USD and one of the reviews mentions that it works with the Magni 3.
If I get a Bifrost + Valhalla, would I need to get 2 of these transformers or can I connect a power strip to the transformer and connect the Schiit to the power strip? (100V wall outlet ⇒ 100V to 120V transformer ⇒ power strip ⇒ Schiit)

May 24, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 15
Yes you should be able to run it with a power strip. My personal preference would be to find one with 2 outlets if it's possible.

May 24, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #13 of 15
Yes you should be able to run it with a power strip. My personal preference would be to find one with 2 outlets if it's possible.

My power strip has 4 outlets so no issue there, and I think it can withstand up to 125V so should have no issue.
Also found another review in the $35 transformer that states it works without issue with the Valhalla 2; I'm surprised so many people are buying these transformers just for Schiit products!

Now I just need to decide whether the Schiit suite is worth the shipping, tax, and transformer (total $200 for the Bifrost + Valhalla).
I found another possible amp/dac that might go well with the HD800S, can easily get my hands on it in Japan as well.

Marantz HD-DAC1
・$700 total
 ⇒HD-DAC1: $700

May 24, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #14 of 15
As I've often mentioned at this point a lot is about preferred sound signature, hearing, music type and of course matching between all the components of the chain . ... so it's not easy to give good advice. System matching is even more important for the HD800(S), since it's a headphone whose sound signature is more system dependent than other headphones.

Generally speaking: matching a bright headphone with a bright amp and DAC is not a very good idea unless you're looking for a bright and sterile sound.

The Jotunheim is on the neutral/bright side and I personally didn't find it a good match with the HD800's, especially with the Delta-Sigma DAC ...

My recommendation would be trying to find a used HDVA 600 which can usually be found for around 700$ and DAC that is on the more euphonic side to pair with your HD800S, for example one of Schiit's multibit DAC's. I've tried a lot of different combinations with the HD800s and still stick with this one until today.

Best of luck and have fun :)

May 24, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #15 of 15
As I've often mentioned at this point a lot is about preferred sound signature, hearing, music type and of course matching between all the components of the chain . ... so it's not easy to give good advice. System matching is even more important for the HD800(S), since it's a headphone whose sound signature is more system dependent than other headphones.

Generally speaking: matching a bright headphone with a bright amp and DAC is not a very good idea unless you're looking for a bright and sterile sound.

The Jotunheim is on the neutral/bright side and I personally didn't find it a good match with the HD800's, especially with the Delta-Sigma DAC ...

My recommendation would be trying to find a used HDVA 600 which can usually be found for around 700$ and DAC that is on the more euphonic side to pair with your HD800S, for example one of Schiit's multibit DAC's. I've tried a lot of different combinations with the HD800s and still stick with this one until today.

Best of luck and have fun :)

Thank you for the input.
Yep, definitely understand the fact that the HD800S are relatively picky in terms of source/the entire line up from source to HD800S.
I did look for a used HDVA600 and HDVD800 as well but could not find any locally =/

Noted on the Jotunheim, I read comments that since its bright, it might not fit well with the HD800S but also read comments that the combo was on-point.
Still not entirely convinced on Multibit vs D/S, but Bifrost only comes in Multibit so if I go that route, I should be fine.

Would you recommend a tube amp to go with the HD800S instead of a solid state?
Also, may I ask what combination you have stuck with? (HDVA600 + Schiit Multibit Bifrost?)

※Noticed I can get the TEAC UD-505-B for around $1200 in Japan so added in first post

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back