Amp with Grado SR60
Mar 24, 2005 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

iPodphile

Head-Fier

I am sorry as I am sure this has been asked and answered many times. I just couldn't find an opinion for my specific situation. I just got some SR60s and use them with my iPod. I am very happy with the sound, I just wonder how much an amp would improve this. I will upgrade the cans down the line as well (just up the Grado line, it's Grado for life now) but I would keep the 60s for transportable cans. Therefore, I need to know if it is worth looking at amps for the 60s and I will probably go to the 225s for home use.

1) Do I need an amp for either?
2) What do you recomend? I have looked at headroom and I am very keen to working with them as they are great, and have been very helpful, but I am open to other amps.

Thanks for your help and sorry again if this is too repetitive.
rs1smile.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 14
As general concensus, any headphones will improved with an amp. I have an Grado SR-60 that I used to plug-in to my CMOY, I got more volume, then I recently built PIMETA and it improves dramatically! Richer, tighter sound/bass. I havent heard any headroom amps in action so I cant really say how much it would improved the SR60.

Mar 24, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks...

As a newbie I am not familiar with what CMOY or PIMETA mean.

Mar 24, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 14
just search around the forums. they contain a wealth of knowledge. as well as numerous pictures, reviews, suggestions, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPodphile
Thanks...

Mar 24, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 14
I would buy the amp, rather than DIY, so I am looking for recomendations or experiences with SR60s and various amps. Or people who just drive them from a portable.

Mar 24, 2005 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 14
I had a Totalbithead from headroom and was unhappy with the sound from my computer (toshiba laptop USB port) to my ER 4P's their was a lot of hiss in the background.

I now I have a SR-71 amp. and their is no hiss, but the differance in the sound from my 2 vintage CD, players amped (from the line out) V unamped (headphone out) is not (in my opinion) that great. I am on my 4th. set of 9V. batteries and now can tell the differance, more than I first thought, but still not wow, as I had hoped. Im going to my first headphone meet soon. I can't wait I hope to learn so much more about amps headphones!

I do agree that Headroom is a great place. I got my ER 4P headphones their. I can say it was a great place, nice on the phone and quick to answer all my e-mails. good luck!

Mar 24, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

I have looked at headroom and I am very keen to working with them as they are great

Big HeadRoom fan here. I use my SR60s through a previous generation Total AirHead with my portable CDP and would say the improvement is noticeable but not dramatic - a cleaner sound, overall, with a bit more controlled bass. I've only listened to an iPod briefly with the SR60s and would say the headphone output is pretty good unamped - comparable to my CDP.

The reason I'd recommend you audition a HeadRoom amp is to try out the crossfeed processor. It turned me into a committed headphone user more than 10 years ago. It works exactly as advertised, providing a more natural listening experience with most recordings and truly enhancing soundstage and sense of depth with quality recorded material.

I can't compare other amps for you but I can give the image processor a big thumbs up and suggest that it alone merits a 30-day trial from HeadRoom.

Good luck!
Beau

Mar 24, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks Beauregard I didn't think about it as a 30 day trial. Why not just get the amp and if I feel it is not worth it, send it back! Nice. Thanks to everyone else who helped, keep sugestions coming though.

Mar 24, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Thanks...

They are both headphone amps, and if im not mistaken alot of people around here make them themselves.

Mar 25, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Thanks Beauregard I didn't think about it as a 30 day trial. ...

That's the only way to think of it! One of the nice things about headphones and related gear is that the good manufacturers and online retailers are very liberal with their return policies. They want folks to try out their products and it's good for the consumer to know that they're only risking shipping charges if they're not happy with something.

Some people even order a couple different items from the same or different sources to compare during the 30-day period. I've never done that myself - but I have tried and returned items that I decided weren't what I wanted with no probs at all.

Best,
Beau

Mar 28, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 14
hi,

i recently bought a cmoy amp with a opa2227 chip to use with my grado sr60's. i immediately noticed an improvement in the bass. its much tighter and even with my unskilled ears, i could tell of an improvement in overall sound quality. sr60s are pretty low impedence headphones, so they can be driven easily by most sources and an amp isnt required. ideal situation for the sr60s (in my opinion): unamped source (eg: line out from ipod dock, sound card, whatever) -> amp (cmoy, pimeta, etc) -> sr60s ->your ears.

hope this helps!

Mar 28, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #13 of 14
if you want a really good amp for any grado headphones, get the gilmore lite. It can be had for $250, and its pretty small. Its not portable but its small for a home amp, and its really neat. It offers the best sound for grado's.

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #14 of 14
I see that it's been a while since anybody's posted on this thread, but I'm a newcomer and was looking for an answer to the same question.

My plan is to get the NuForce u-DAC2 for my laptop, and a portable amp for my ipod as well. For now I've got the SR60s and some Koss PortaPros.

For the portable amps, who offers the biggest bang for the buck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back