Any good tube AMP under 500$
Jan 13, 2015 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

xmathx

New Head-Fier
Hi , guys im pretty new to the audiophile world I have a pair of HD600 and the shciit stack magni/modi. I am looking for recommandation for a good tube amp under 500$ if its even possible for that price. Thx for your help. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 15
If you don't mind new or used gear theres some great amps in this price range...

Bottlehead Crack (used)
darkvoice, la Figaro 337/339 (used) 
Earmax original or The Pro version (latter used)
Woo Audio 3 (used)
Schitt LYR / 2 (new)
Little Dot 2/3/4 (new)
Darkvoice, La figaro 336SE (new)

I'm really happy with my 337 paired with my HD650.  The 337 or its stable mate 339 would be my recommendation.  Paper-oil audio caps, dual monoblock topography that uses dual triode 6as7G/6080 tubes with paralleled output to the headphones... no one else offers this in your price range (used).

IMHO the DV/LF 336SE also deserves a mention, don't let its price fool you... its a real over-achiever IMHO.  I am just a big fan of 6as7G / 6080 tubes and paper-oil audio coupling capacitors (shrug).  On that note you should also factor in additional $$$ to tube roll.  The tubes can be more expensive than the whole amp!!

All of these OTL amps work great with the HD600/650, and I am 99% certain their engineers used these headphones to develop their designs.

Of the bunch the DV/LF 339, and the Earmax Pro are the only ones designed for lower impedance loads... if you ever plan on going that route.  On that note every once in a long while someone on the BST board offers up a mad Ear+ for ~$550.  Great amp for both high and low impedance loads, and its the only one on this list thats output transformer coupled.

Good Luck!!!

Oh welcome to HF and sorry about the wallet

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 15
Oops how could I forget the Pete Millet hybrid!!

Well under your $500 ceiling at around $250 (used).  Its the only amp I know of (in this price range) that allows one to EASILY increase or decrease the tube plate voltages to taste... and adjust the even order harmonic distortion to ones liking.  Its a SAFE circuit too... it won't go thermonuclear or unleash bad tube voodoo as you tweek away.  Its a ~24V circuit that uses automotive tubes from the 50s... they last a freeking eternity.  If you can find one built on the BST boards its a great way to get into tubes and their harmonic richness.... IMHO of course.

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 15
  If you don't mind new or used gear theres some great amps in this price range...

Bottlehead Crack (used)
darkvoice, la Figaro 337/339 (used) 
Earmax original or The Pro version (latter used)
Woo Audio 3 (used)
Schitt LYR / 2 (new)
Little Dot 2/3/4 (new)
Darkvoice, La figaro 336SE (new)

I'm really happy with my 337 paired with my HD650.  The 337 or its stable mate 339 would be my recommendation.  Paper-oil audio caps, dual monoblock topography that uses dual triode 6as7G/6080 tubes with paralleled output to the headphones... no one else offers this in your price range (used).

IMHO the DV/LF 336SE also deserves a mention, don't let its price fool you... its a real over-achiever IMHO.  I am just a big fan of 6as7G / 6080 tubes and paper-oil audio coupling capacitors (shrug).  On that note you should also factor in additional $$$ to tube roll.  The tubes can be more expensive than the whole amp!!

All of these OTL amps work great with the HD600/650, and I am 99% certain their engineers used these headphones to develop their designs.

Of the bunch the DV/LF 339, and the Earmax Pro are the only ones designed for lower impedance loads... if you ever plan on going that route.  On that note every once in a long while someone on the BST board offers up a mad Ear+ for ~$550.  Great amp for both high and low impedance loads, and its the only one on this list thats output transformer coupled.

Good Luck!!!

Oh welcome to HF and sorry about the wallet

Great recommendations overall! 

I'd also look into the Schiit Valhalla 2. The stock tubes sound fine, and you don't have to worry too much about tube-rolling, which can accrue a lot of additional costs. 

If you're a decent hand at DIY, I'd definitely consider the Crack. It's a fun project and sounds fantastic.

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 15
There's also the Project Ember from Garage 1217 that's within your budget. It gets good reviews although I haven't heard it myself. I will be receiving a demo model in the next couple of weeks.

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 15
  Great recommendations overall! 

I'd also look into the Schiit Valhalla 2. The stock tubes sound fine, and you don't have to worry too much about tube-rolling, which can accrue a lot of additional costs. 

If you're a decent hand at DIY, I'd definitely consider the Crack. It's a fun project and sounds fantastic.

Thanks... Hopefully the OP can get outta here without blowing up his wallet too much.  Curious do you think a Valhalla2 would be a step up from the amps I currently have?... thanks !!!

Earmax original, DV337, Millet Hybrid

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 15
  Thx guy really appreciates for your time do you think upgrading the DAC in the future will make a difference or its only a placebo effect :p

Yes unless you can consistently pick things out on a blind ABX... you simply can't rule out placebo effects.  Its a steep slippery slope down the path of diminishing returns.  There are times I just plug my cans (including the HD650) into the headphone jack on my macbooks.  Shrug.  IMHO far greater bang for the buck can come from a headphone upgrade, or side-grade.  You might want to start out with the view at 30,000 feet... what don't you like about your setup now?

IMHO the 300 ohm senns are surprisingly efficient and easy enough to power providing the amp circuit can swing the AC voltage.  A source upgrade, or side-grade is something to strongly consider, and I think could be a wise decision.  Personally once amplification reaches a certain level, it just doesn't make much difference anymore.  Although it is cool looking at warm glowing things at night.

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 15
  Thanks... Hopefully the OP can get outta here without blowing up his wallet too much.  Curious do you think a Valhalla2 would be a step up from the amps I currently have?... thanks !!!

Earmax original, DV337, Millet Hybrid

Hey, 

Unfortunately, I can't commend on the Earmax, DV337 or the Millet Hybrid as I haven't heard those. Sorry!

I did build a Crack + Speedball for a friend, and we both were amazed at how good the HD650 sounded. 

I heard the Valhalla 2 under meet conditions with the HD800 and HD600, and both headphones sounded amazing from the amp. At the moment, I'm actually very happy with my Schiit Vali, but may actually upgrade to the Valhalla 2 at some point. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 15
Say kramer5150; in your opinion, between the Darkvoice or LittleDot == which amp has the best overall reliability record?  I understand tubes burn out, parts wear down, and electronics are susceptible to many problems over the years;  but having said that, I believe great design and part compatibility, (to my way of thinking), really can determine the best overall bang-for-buck construction with the long term use of the amp in the final equation. What's your take-- and if you were to select one of the three companies mentioned, what model would you select? thanks

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #11 of 15
I'll recommend one amp that's usually overlooked.  The Musical Paradise MP-301.  I've had one for almost 2 years and have enjoyed it a great deal.  Tube rolling is an aspect of this amp.  You can alter the sound with a variety of current production ( not NOS) tubes.
It works wonderfully with my older Senn HD580s.  Just another option to consider.

Apr 1, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #12 of 15
  Say kramer5150; in your opinion, between the Darkvoice or LittleDot == which amp has the best overall reliability record?  I understand tubes burn out, parts wear down, and electronics are susceptible to many problems over the years;  but having said that, I believe great design and part compatibility, (to my way of thinking), really can determine the best overall bang-for-buck construction with the long term use of the amp in the final equation. What's your take-- and if you were to select one of the three companies mentioned, what model would you select? thanks

I think its a wash.  There are scattered reports of circuit failures for both brands.  Usually its power resistors blowing.  One things for certain (at least for me)... P2P wire is easier to repair than thru hole PCBA.  US Customs did a piss-poor job repacking my 337.  I kid you not it was THRASHED, far beyond any amp abuse I have ever seen here on HF.  I had to replace the front panel switches and re-paint the chassis.  But the amp runs like a champ regardless.  I think that says something in regard to component selection and circuit layout from a physical durability standpoint. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back