Appropriate amp for 225/325 and 580/600 level of headphones
Jul 8, 2001 at 9:48 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Alan_P
Hey Jude,

(Ha! 'Hey Jude' .....)

Out of that list of amps you've tried with the 600s, which would you consider the best, or just your favorite, regardless of price?

Alan_P,

Without a doubt, the Max by a solid margin. I'll be finishing up my full review of it, hopefully soon.

-- Jude --

Jul 9, 2001 at 11:30 AM Post #18 of 21
I love my corda, but since it doesn't hide ANY highs, on harsh recordings it will sound harsh. particularly with the Grado SR series(or so I've heard). So just keep an EQ or treble control handy. Other than that the Corda is probably good for any kind of headphones you ever get in the future as well.

Jul 10, 2001 at 6:15 AM Post #19 of 21
Jude,

Glad to hear that my Max is no slouch with the 600s. But it is the only headphone amp I have ever heard and all the talk of different amps on the board here, I thought I might be missng out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there any tube based headphone amp that can compete with the Max in its price range?

Jul 10, 2001 at 6:47 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Alan_P
Jude,

Glad to hear that my Max is no slouch with the 600s. But it is the only headphone amp I have ever heard and all the talk of different amps on the board here, I thought I might be missng out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there any tube based headphone amp that can compete with the Max in its price range?

Wow, your first amp was straight to the Max? As it turns out, you're a smart guy, because the one I've got is a phenomenal amp.

Regarding tube amps that compete with the Max: Yes, I'm sure there are, but it's hard for me to comment on any of them in that price range because I haven't heard them. I can say this, however: The distributor of MG Head DT's sent me an extensively hotrodded version that he said sounded "very close" to the AudioValve RKV. I believe it because it was a significant sonic step up from the already good-sounding (and popular) stock MG Head DT (I ended up returning both MG Heads because of a persistent low-level hum). I speak only from audio memory (which to some isn't saying much), and I know that to my ears, the Max is the superior amp.

The Max I've got is at once musical and highly detailed. I was getting addicted to crossfeed, but decided to try listening with it off for a couple straight days. I'm back to listening without crossfeed for now, as I find the tonal balance more neutral with it off (but I do miss the more head-filling presence that crossfeed provides). One thing that none of the other amps I've listened to so far can touch is the impact, tactility and body that the Max conveys, most notably in the lower registers (hey, I'm giving away some of my review here!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back