Astell&Kern Launches KANN Ultra DAP and AK HB1 Bluetooth Amp/DAC
Apr 9, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #451 of 464
When you all complaints were from the U.S., I feel it might be related to WiFi channels. May be A&K screwed up for this region ?
If anyone still has one of those faulty units, I can tell you how you can check if this is the problem.

I'm also just fishing for yet another portable device (you know hobby, wallet and all haha).
We haven't done exhaustive scientific testing, but it seems to be related to either 5ghz WiFi or routers than can combine the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels to a single network (5 has faster speeds and 2.4 has better range) where the device autoconnects to whichever is better. So, for example, the first time I tested the device, I wanted to give it the hardest connectivity test I could and I went to our office "dead spot." It connected perfectly (because in the dead spot, it picked the longer range 2.4ghz channel over the 5ghz channel), but then if you're near the router, you get the 5ghz and it disconnects after 2 minutes.

So basically if you're savvy enough to mess with your wifi router settings, you can probably get it working fine on the wifi.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Apr 9, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #452 of 464
We haven't done exhaustive scientific testing, but it seems to be related to either 5ghz WiFi or routers than can combine the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels to a single network (5 has faster speeds and 2.4 has better range) where the device autoconnects to whichever is better. So, for example, the first time I tested the device, I wanted to give it the hardest connectivity test I could and I went to our office "dead spot." It connected perfectly (because in the dead spot, it picked the longer range 2.4ghz channel over the 5ghz channel), but then if you're near the router, you get the 5ghz and it disconnects after 2 minutes.

So basically if you're savvy enough to mess with your wifi router settings, you can probably get it working fine on the wifi.
Thanks for checking it for us Stephen :)

It’s very weird that the 5ghz WiFi disconnects after 2 minutes.
I can test this when I get my DAP. My router is configured with separate SSIDs for 2.4ghz and 5ghz and my devices are usually within 2-3 meters of the router.

If it disconnects after 2 minutes on 5ghz then I’m returning the device as that sounds like a major fault. I’m not going to use 2.4ghz after paying 1.5k+ for a device whose only functionality is playing audio and streaming via WiFi. I have intentionally separated the SSIDs so that no device switches to 2.4ghz automatically.

Here’s what I think that the problem might be.

To me this still sounds like a WiFi channel issue. By channel I mean 1, 6, 11 etc. Every region in the world has a set of channels that are supported, some channels are reserved for radar and so on. This is why if you buy a device in the US and use it in the EU, chances are the WiFi won’t work always, it will connect only when the channels match. When the router switches to a different channel due to congestion or radar detected, the device may not connect to that channel anymore. One way to get the WiFi working again is to login to the router and manually refresh the channel. The other way it would start working is when the channel switches again to one that is supported by the device.

@stephenkostas Can you try this ? When the device disconnects on 5ghz, login to your router and Refesh WiFi channels for 5ghz and see if it connects back again. If this works then like I said, A&K screwed up by having wrong channel configuration.

For eg. on my router, this option looks like this.

1712707218181.png

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #453 of 464
@JasonNYC Would you be able to ask HQ and confirm what WiFi channels are supported by the Kann Ultra please (on 2.4ghz and 5ghz} for US and EU markets ? By channels I mean 6, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 etc. Product engineering team should know this.

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #454 of 464
Anyone owned the old kann max? Are there any significant sound changes with the ultra from max? I like my Max due to its compact portable size if the sound changes isnt significant i dont think i will upgrade to the bigger ultra.

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #456 of 464
Anyone owned the old kann max? Are there any significant sound changes with the ultra from max? I like my Max due to its compact portable size if the sound changes isnt significant i dont think i will upgrade to the bigger ultra.
It’s rather a matter of slight improvements but in almost every aspect of SQ. I’m not sure if it’s worth the upgrade from Max but for me, once I got it, it felt like a general step up in everything and never regretted it. Even the larger size doesn’t bother me as Max wasn’t exactly a pocket-friendly device either. I actually quite like the flatter and more solid body shape of the Ultra- it lays better when placed on my desk like a proper desktop player and still slides in nicely in my laptop bag’s inside pockets for on-the-go listening. Plus, the larger screen adds to the overall premium experience.

Apr 12, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #457 of 464
Got my Kann Ultra today !
Used it for around 2 hours - no issues with WiFi (connected to a 5ghz SSID). Range is same as other devices. After it disconnects when out of range, it connects again when back in range. So normal behavior.

@stephenkostas May be the WiFi problem only exists for US devices or perhaps there were some faulty early units and it has since been rectified.

Apr 12, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #458 of 464
Used it for around 2 hours - no issues with WiFi (connected to a 5ghz SSID). Range is same as other devices. After it disconnects when out of range, it connects again when back in range. So normal behavior.

@stephenkostas May be the WiFi problem only exists for US devices or perhaps there were some faulty early units and it has since been rectified.
Congrats! How do you like the sound? At first I thought the bass was a bit lackluster but soon it warmed up and extended even reaching lower than I expected. The high frequencies however seemed to me particularly refined in the Ultra and I loved them right out of the box.

Apr 12, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #459 of 464

4 units in the US. Will share an update soon.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Apr 12, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #460 of 464
Congrats! How do you like the sound? At first I thought the bass was a bit lackluster but soon it warmed up and extended even reaching lower than I expected. The high frequencies however seemed to me particularly refined in the Ultra and I loved them right out of the box.
Thank you.

My first impression is exactly the same as you. At first out of the box it sounded not so energetic and flat. Once the device warmed up, it reallly opened up. I’ve only used it for about 2 hours and I already did some A/Bing with some of my other DAPs. The detail retrieval of this DAP is what got my attention the most. God, I can hear so much details that I missed before with other players. Also gotta love the pitch black background, no matter how sensitive the headphone is. This one is definitely a keeper for now !

It’s a chunky beast though, especially with the leather case on. I wish Dignis would do a more sleek case. They made an amazing case for the SE300 already, perhaps this one is next.

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #464 of 464

Users who are viewing this thread

Back