Astell&Kern Launches KANN Ultra DAP and AK HB1 Bluetooth Amp/DAC
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #436 of 464
Maybe you can get a UP5 in Germany? Except of the crappy app, it`s a really nice device, too! I used it with joy for several years! Or what about BTR7?
thank you for keeping up with suggestions! I bought the up4 a couple of days before and like it much better than the btr15, not only as it works flawless, to me the soundstage sounds more natural too. would the up5 be a step up regarding soundstage depth?
BTR7 utilizes THX amps and i found them to have very restricted soundstage depth and layering. I read afterwards on other forums, that it has to do with the way they achieve amping, but i am not able to understand this fully, as i am very bad in physics.

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #437 of 464
The Kann Ultra has plenty of output, but it started to distort at moderately loud volumes with Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire and E3 models. I think those headphones are notoriously demanding. I have no such issue with the Focal Stellia I now have!
I did own the M17 for a while but didn't really get on with it. At the time I found its sound a little uninspiring, and didn't really get on with its charging stand/fan thing, which I found cumbersome and noisy! However, I'm using different headphones now, so perhaps if I heard it again with my current ones it would sound different.
As a footnote, I am very happy with the Kann Ultra. It is versatile, snappy in use with a great screen, and above all sounds lovely. A noticeable step up from the Acro CA1000 I still have (I had the 1000T for a while but sent it back for an annoying volume "cap").
Sound wise, is the ultra a step up over the ca1000 too?

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #438 of 464
My first A&K DAP is on the way ! Let's see if it holds up to the big name.

1712612666540.png

I see we still don't have a dedicated thread for this DAP but this sponsor thread ?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #440 of 464
Everything is good! I've had the Astell&Kern Kann Ultra for over 3 months now and I'm still really impressed! And these are extraordinary times. Most people simply don't have enough money anymore due to high inflation and the resulting very high cost of living. A DAP like this is also a very exotic toy. Especially compared to the ubiquitous smartphones. For many people, a bad stream is enough. I have a 4k player. And so on and so forth... I'll try to write a little review. If I find the time... :wink:

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #441 of 464
Everything is good! I've had the Astell&Kern Kann Ultra for over 3 months now and I'm still really impressed! And these are extraordinary times. Most people simply don't have enough money anymore due to high inflation and the resulting very high cost of living. A DAP like this is also a very exotic toy. Especially compared to the ubiquitous smartphones. For many people, a bad stream is enough. I have a 4k player. And so on and so forth... I'll try to write a little review. If I find the time... :wink:
I reckon another reason this thread is so oddly quiet is that there’s simply nothing to complain about the Ultra. The Kann series has been going on strong for quite some time now with each new model coming out as a slight but undeniable improvement on its predecessors and Ultra is exactly that next step up. There’s no controversy to fire up any chat discussions- it just looks better, sounds better and, unfortunately, comes in at a bit higher price. I’ve had mine for a few months now as an upgrade to my previous Kann Max and so far I’m perfectly happy with the device.
Congrats on your new toy and enjoy!

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #442 of 464
any decent deals in the US market like the ones on Amazon UK?

I reckon another reason this thread is so oddly quiet is that there’s simply nothing to complain about the Ultra.
Then you have not read the complete thread or have not been playing attention. Many of us(in the US mainly) have experienced disabling Wifi issues with the Ultra. The Ultra will connect but be unable to hold the connection. You then have to exit Wifi and then try to connect again. This was turned over to A&K development almost 3 months ago with no updates or mention since. I returned my Ultra and the dealer traded me up to SE300.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #443 of 464
Then you have not read the complete thread or have not been playing attention. Many of us(in the US mainly) have experienced disabling Wifi issues with the Ultra. The Ultra will connect but be unable to hold the connection. You then have to exit Wifi and then try to connect again. This was turned over to A&K development almost 3 months ago with no updates or mention since. I returned my Ultra and the dealer traded me up to SE300.
You’re right, I totally forgot that issue. Sorry to hear about your troubles and hope you’ve found what you were looking for in your alternate choice. I myself don’t stream, all my music is on my player’s hard drive and I’ve never had any Wi-Fi issues during the brief times I’ve connected to the internet for software updates. I like Kann because I need a player that can store my entire music collection and plug into my home hi Fi setup, as well as easily take it on the go with me when leave, without any worries if the amp power would suffice for the headphones I’d like to take. For this I still see Ultra as one of the better options out there.

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #444 of 464
You’re right, I totally forgot that issue. Sorry to hear about your troubles and hope you’ve found what you were looking for in your SE300. I myself don’t stream, all my music is on my player’s memory card and I’ve never had any Wi-Fi issues during the brief times I’ve connected to the internet for software updates. I like Kann because need a player that can store my entire music collection and plug it into my home hi Fi setup, as well as easily take it on he go with me when leave, without any worries if the amp power would suffice for the headphones I’d like to take. For this I’d say Ultra is one of the better options out there.

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #445 of 464
Ich denke, ein weiterer Grund, warum dieser Thread so seltsam ruhig ist, ist, dass es einfach nichts gibt, worüber man sich über den Ultra beschweren könnte. Die Kann-Serie ist seit geraumer Zeit stark, wobei jedes neue Modell als leichte, aber unbestreitbare Verbesserung gegenüber seinen Vorgängern herauskommt und Ultra genau der nächste Schritt ist. Es gibt keine Kontroverse, um irgendwelche Chat-Diskussionen anzuzünden - es sieht einfach besser aus, klingt besser und kommt leider zu einem etwas höheren Preis. Ich habe meine jetzt seit ein paar Monaten als Upgrade auf meine vorherige Kann Max und bisher bin ich mit dem Gerät vollkommen zufrieden.
Herzlichen Glückwunsch zu Ihrem neuen Spielzeug und genießen Sie! Iv. H.

Ich denke, ein weiterer Grund, warum dieser Thread so seltsam ruhig ist, ist, dass es einfach nichts gibt, worüber man sich über den Ultra beschweren könnte. Die Kann-Serie ist seit geraumer Zeit stark, wobei jedes neue Modell als leichte, aber unbestreitbare Verbesserung gegenüber seinen Vorgängern herauskommt und Ultra genau der nächste Schritt ist. Es gibt keine Kontroverse, um irgendwelche Chat-Diskussionen anzuzünden - es sieht einfach besser aus, klingt besser und kommt leider zu einem etwas höheren Preis. Ich habe meine jetzt seit ein paar Monaten als Upgrade auf meine vorherige Kann Max und bisher bin ich mit dem Gerät vollkommen zufrieden.
Herzlichen Glückwunsch zu Ihrem neuen Spielzeug und genießen Sie!
I agree. Where there is nothing to complain about and many people are happy with their achievement, there is little discussion. I started out with the Alpha (also a fantastic player!). Then for a short time I had the Fiio M17 at home (whose design and sound I didn't like at all) through the Astell&Kern Kann Max (a brilliant player, but the update policy was a horror) to the Kann Ultra (the icing on the cake for me).

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #446 of 464
Had to return mine for the very same reason. Got an AK CA1000 at a fraction of the price and I actually prefer its sound.

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #447 of 464
Thanks for all the replies guys, feels better to know I’m not alone with this DAP :D

I am aware of the WiFi issues as I have been following this thread since the beginning. I’m also assuming those are isolated issues as not everyone has reported it. I’m also good at solving these kind of problems usually so let’s see if my device has it too. There’s always the possibility to return or exchange in case of a faulty device.

Excited but it will take some days to get mine. The waiting begins !

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #448 of 464
How do you like the sound of SE300 vs the Ultra ? I was debating between these two but I went for the Ultra in the end mainly due to the new ESS DAC which I’ve already heard and am impressed with. I have enough AKM devices so no SP3KT for me and I’m not fully decided on R2R either.

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #449 of 464
Had to return mine for the very same reason. Got an AK CA1000 at a fraction of the price and I actually prefer its sound.
I also have the CA 1000. I agree it is a great piece. I prefer it to my SE 300.
Thanks for all the replies guys, feels better to know I’m not alone with this DAP :D

I am aware of the WiFi issues as I have been following this thread since the beginning. I’m also assuming those are isolated issues as not everyone has reported it. I’m also good at solving these kind of problems usually so let’s see if my device has it too. There’s always the possibility to return or exchange in case of a faulty device.

Excited but it will take some days to get mine. The waiting begins !
Almost if not all of the problems have been in the US. You will probably be good.

How do you like the sound of SE300 vs the Ultra ? I was debating between these two but I went for the Ultra in the end mainly due to the new ESS DAC which I’ve already heard and am impressed with. I have enough AKM devices so no SP3KT for me and I’m not fully decided on R2R either.
The Ultra would not play longer than 5 minutes so not really able to compare. I needed a portable unit or I just would have used the CA 1000. The sound from the CA 1000 I find superior to the SE 300 especially with my Caldera. I do not do critical listening with the SE 300 and the whole R2R thing is immaterial to me. I bought the Ultra for its better power and superior processor.

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #450 of 464
I also have the CA 1000. I agree it is a great piece. I prefer it to my SE 300.

Almost if not all of the problems have been in the US. You will probably be good.

The Ultra would not play longer than 5 minutes so not really able to compare. I needed a portable unit or I just would have used the CA 1000. The sound from the CA 1000 I find superior to the SE 300 especially with my Caldera. I do not do critical listening with the SE 300 and the whole R2R thing is immaterial to me. I bought the Ultra for its better power and superior processor.

When you all complaints were from the U.S., I feel it might be related to WiFi channels. May be A&K screwed up for this region ?
If anyone still has one of those faulty units, I can tell you how you can check if this is the problem.

I'm also just fishing for yet another portable device (you know hobby, wallet and all haha).

Users who are viewing this thread

• wj18
Back