Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC
Jan 9, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #16 of 652
You guys who write off gear before ever listening to it need to go. Your comments have absolutely ZERO merit. But good, don't listen to it, don't buy it, and move along to your beloved buzzword-compliant equipment. Allow those actually interested to enjoy this product in the near future.

Turn the snark down a notch please.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #18 of 652
I'm going off Audeze themselves who's website states it's not optimal. If they don't think its good enough for the LCD, why bother for those. That being said, it's certainly worth listening to and evaluating, especially with the phones it's designed for. :). I'm actually looking forward to hearing one, especially with their new headphones. It also seems to have a decent voltage swing into high impedance loads which will be interesting to listen to.
You guys who write off gear before ever listening to it need to go. Your comments have absolutely ZERO merit. But good, don't listen to it, don't buy it, and move along to your beloved buzzword-compliant equipment. Allow those actually interested to enjoy this product in the near future.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #19 of 652
Based on my complete lack of expertise or experience with this amp, this is probably a foot-in-the-door product for Audeze.  They might try something a little sexier (maybe with dual 3-pin and 4-pin balanced jacks) down the road when they have a better handle on the process. Judging by the money we as a community have thrown at this company the past four years, I think it's safe to say they know what they're doing.  

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #20 of 652
Well, I heard it.... And I can say it's ok. Nothing wrong... but also nothing great.

It is not like something terrible or underpriced..... But seriously this is a typical me-too product. People who are not familiar with other hifi brand will buy this.

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #21 of 652
Any photos of the inside yet?

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #22 of 652
Any photos of the inside yet?

Just kidding!  
wink_face.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #23 of 652

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #24 of 652

They were using a Pono as a DAC to demo the EL-8. I'll let you draw your own conclusions on what that means for the DAC in the Deckard.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #25 of 652

They were using a Pono as a DAC to demo the EL-8. I'll let you draw your own conclusions on what that means for the DAC in the Deckard.

It looks to me like they are using the line out of the Pono player into the RCAs of the Deckard amp. This doesn't mean the DAC in the Deckard is no good. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #26 of 652

The input in this picture is set to RCA (analog ins), not USB. Are sure about your statement? It looks to me like they are just using the line out of the Pono player into the RCAs of the Deckard amp. 

Yes?  Analog inputs mean the Deckard is just acting as an amp, not as a DAC.  They used the Pono for the DAC and the Deckard for the Amp.  Why would they do that when the Deckard has a DAC built-in?  It doesn't give me confidence in the DAC implementation.

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #27 of 652
  Why would they do that when the Deckard has a DAC built-in?  It doesn't give me confidence in the DAC implementation.

Maybe because it was the Pono booth? Or they didn't have a computer to hook up at that moment to the Deckard amp. It could be any number of reasons.

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #28 of 652

Maybe because it was the Pono booth? Or they didn't have a computer to hook up at that moment to the Deckard amp. It could be any number of reasons.

You're like my wife, constantly giving everyone the benefit of the doubt.  It's adorable.  
biggrin.gif

But no, it was the Audeze booth (source:  I took that picture) and they had many tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment there.  They could have gotten a few laptops or tablets if needed.

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #29 of 652

You're like my wife, constantly giving everyone the benefit of the doubt.  It's adorable.  
biggrin.gif

But no, it was the Audeze booth (source:  I took that picture) and they had many tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment there.  They could have gotten a few laptops or tablets if needed.

Well maybe they wanted to show off the Pono sound through the amp. You can't do that if connecting the amp to a computer, you'd need to actually connect the Pono for that. 

Others have shown pics above in this thread of the Deckard connected to computers via USB, so not sure what your point is. 

The fact that they connected the amp via different inputs does not mean the DAC sucks, as you seem to imply.

Anyone who has been to can-jam or any other audio shows knows that multiple devices are often connected to any amps on display throughout the day. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #30 of 652

Well maybe they wanted to show off the Pono sound through the amp. You can't do that if connecting the amp to a computer, you'd need to connect the Pono for that. 

Others have shown pics above in this thread of the Deckard connected to computers so not sure what your point is. 

No point, feel free to draw your own conclusions.  

In my mind, I see a company selling a new DAC/Amp combo yet not demo'ing the DAC at the biggest electronics show in the world.  To me that smacks of lack of confidence.  Obviously you feel differently, and that's perfectly fine with me.  I just thought the folks questioning the quality of the DAC might find this little tidbit interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back