Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC
May 16, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #619 of 652
If you can get a reconditioned one, the amp is decent and versatile but the DAC is lacking. I used to own one and I enjoyed it very much. It comes down to how you’re planning on feeding it music.
Thanks. Probably feeding from the WM1Z, single ended output, if that is possible, otherwise using USB from computer.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #620 of 652
Thanks. Probably feeding from the WM1Z, single ended output, if that is possible, otherwise using USB from computer.

There’s RCA input. I highly recommend avoiding the USB input. I wonder if it would bring much to the table vs the WM1Z, but if you have the funds spare it is a lovely bit of kit so why not treat yourself.

May 17, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #621 of 652
There’s RCA input. I highly recommend avoiding the USB input. I wonder if it would bring much to the table vs the WM1Z, but if you have the funds spare it is a lovely bit of kit so why not treat yourself.
That’s what I was wondering. I can get it for £200 when buying the 4Z. I wondered if the 4Z would benefit from the extra power (or some future headphone i’m not aware of wanting to buy yet.....) :D

May 17, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #622 of 652
That’s what I was wondering. I can get it for £200 when buying the 4Z. I wondered if the 4Z would benefit from the extra power (or some future headphone i’m not aware of wanting to buy yet.....) :D

I used to use it with a pair of LCD-3F and MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed. It’s versatile for sure and can be used as a preamp too. I think at the price you’re getting it you can easily sell it on at minimal loss, maybe even a profit if/when you want something else.

Aug 11, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #623 of 652
I have a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball, a tube amp that works best with high impedance headphones. I have LCD-3 headphones that are low impedance. I use them with the Audeze Deckard and JDS Labs “EL DAC”.

Question - has anyone used the Bottlehead Crack hooked to a solid state amp like the Deckard? This would make the Bottlehead Crack a preamp to the Deckard. The way I would attach them is using a 3.5 mm to RCA cord, from the Bottlehead Crack headphone jack to the Deckard RCA input.

I’m wondering if this will add the “tube” sound to the Deckard?

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #624 of 652
Hello folks !
Have a good few years on my Deckard now ..well and truly used as they say and very happy still with its performance :) well worth it if they come up second hand at £200 or so ... not going to get much better for double that amount... its amp section is quality... and heats the room on winter nights !!

May 28, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #625 of 652
Hi,

Picked up a Dackard a few weeks ago.what gain setting do you guys use for your LCD-2f ?

I Find medium to be more forward than low gain anyone else experience this.

Cheers

I know this is reply to an old post but I just wanted to chime in on this, low gain (0dB) on this amp sounds a lot better than med gain (10dB) imo, med gain is a lot more forward and even becomes a little shouty if you crank the volume, ultimately I guess it will depend on the headphones as to which you prefer, I'm using AKG K712's and on low gain my perfect listening volume is around 12'oclock which I think is perfect, it allows for good volume control and stays away from the low end of the potentiometer for better channel balance.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #626 of 652
Is this amp still viable in 2021? I've found a used one for 350$ (planning to use with Aeolus and DCA Noire)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #627 of 652
Nov 4, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #628 of 652
I still love mine. I use a Schiit Bifrost 2 as a DAC instead of the built-in one and use either OG Audeze LCD2s or Focal Celestees. Still listen to it daily for streaming Tidal/Qobuz and gaming.

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #629 of 652
I still use mine. It's the best amp I've heard with my beloved XCs 2C8727B5-DF44-4BFA-9C42-AD2CA273112F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back