Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #2,656 of 13,140
New LCD-2's today, running off ODAC to Audio-GD Fun.  I prefer the ODAC to the internal Wolfson 8471, but both sound nice.  The fun seems to drive the LCD's ok, I don't listen that loud, but the high gain switch helps with that. My other rig is a Crack with HD-600's, and so far while I find the LCD quite good, that Crack and HD-600 combo is a killer setup. I'm already thinking about amplifier options specific to the LCD, but the Fun seems capable for now.  Glad to be part of the appreciation thread.

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #2,658 of 13,140
Yes, vegan with bamboo.  Glad I opted for the vegan pads, they are very soft, and quite comfortable, I had them on for about 3 hours earlier today, and while the LCD isn't the lightweight of the 600, they are comfortable.  The sheer size of the pads does take some adjustment to get used to compared to the relatively small ovals of the 600.  I've listened to a ton of stuff today to sample the LCD:

Rush Moving Pictures 96/24
Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs
NIN Hesitation Marks (audiophile Master) 48/24
Beatles 24 bit remasters - this was an eye opener! Amazing definition of sounds, and low end extension that I just did not know was there.
Lots of SRV tracks.  Awesome.
Rammstein - The LCD is like a Marshall stack on your head.

After listening this afternoon, I'd agree the FUN seems to be quite capable, I think its about a 1 watt amp at 60ohms (spec says 900ma at 100ohm).  I think I may have a long night ahead of me.

RonO

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #2,659 of 13,140
enjoy :wink:

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #2,662 of 13,140
Is there a definitive way to tell the rev 2 from the earlier model. I emailed Audeze a week ago with the S/N and have heard nothing back, which is a little disappointing considering how quickly Grado always gets back to me.

Anyway here are a couple of pictures, I was told by the seller that they are from the first batch of rev 2s, can anyone confirm?

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #2,665 of 13,140
I'm really loving these. I find them INCREDIBLY comfortable, much more so than the Grado's. I mean, I have absolutely zero complaints as far as comfort goes. My Lyr will be arriving this week, looking forward to getting it hooked up!

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #2,666 of 13,140
I'm really loving these. I find them INCREDIBLY comfortable, much more so than the Grado's. I mean, I have absolutely zero complaints as far as comfort goes. My Lyr will be arriving this week, looking forward to getting it hooked up!

Very nice setup. I'm with you on the comfort. I wear them for hours on end and find them to be more comfortable than my HD600's. I don't know if they just fit my head well, or what. I was a bit concerned that they'd be a comfort nightmare based on comments I read, but alas. My only real gripe is that the stock cable is rubbish. I moved to a Moon Audio Silver Dragon and it dramatically improved the sound quality on virtually all fronts, far more than I anticipated. Pretty incredible. Great headphone!   

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #2,667 of 13,140
Is there a definitive way to tell the rev 2 from the earlier model. I emailed Audeze a week ago with the S/N and have heard nothing back, which is a little disappointing considering how quickly Grado always gets back to me.

Anyway here are a couple of pictures, I was told by the seller that they are from the first batch of rev 2s, can anyone confirm?

Those are indeed early rev.2's with rev.1's foam headband (assuming seller changed them due to the extra comfort from the foam headband then the stock leather one). 

One way that gives it away that those are rev.2's is the grills. LCD2 rev.1's has Audeze Audio Research printing on the top whereas starting from the rev.2's it just says LCD2's. (Though one exception I have seen 2 rev.2 pairs that had the extra printing rev.1's exhibit, so YMMV). I doubt there is even a serial sticker present on the gimble holder (unless the seller swapped it out) as no rev.2's ever came with foam headbands, but a separate option you can buy through Audeze.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #2,668 of 13,140
Mar 16, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #2,669 of 13,140
Those are indeed early rev.2's with rev.1's foam headband (assuming seller changed them due to the extra comfort from the foam headband then the stock leather one). 

One way that gives it away that those are rev.2's is the grills. LCD2 rev.1's has Audeze Audio Research printing on the top whereas starting from the rev.2's it just says LCD2's. (Though one exception I have seen 2 rev.2 pairs that had the extra printing rev.1's exhibit, so YMMV). I doubt there is even a serial sticker present on the gimble holder (unless the seller swapped it out) as no rev.2's ever came with foam headbands, but a separate option you can buy through Audeze.

Thanks for the info. Is the foam headband generally considered more comfortable than the leather?

bassboysam, you might be able to track your serial number here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/509255/audeze-lcd-2-owner-roll-call-list-your-serial-number-here/225#post_9766800

Defqon is probably correct, even though yours look the same as mine - looking at the grilles, indeed mine has different writing.

I checked that list earlier. Mine are not in there and fall right between the last rev1 and first rev2. Which makes sense if they are in fact early rev 2s.

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #2,670 of 13,140
If you have grizzly amounts of hair such as an afro or goldy lock curls then the standard leather ones shouldn't bug you. If you have short low cut hair or bald the foam headband is night and day different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back