Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #6,751 of 13,139
Hi LCD2 owners

This is the 1st time I am stepping into Headphones territory, I tried a few cans like HD800, hifiman & fostex.
Still like the LCD2 alot.
I have tried using the Cayin N5 DAP driving the LCD2 and find it ok until I hook it up with a mojo and there's a big difference in soundstage, depth and clarity.
Just wan to ask if there any other DAP & Amps I can audition that come close to mojo. Tks.

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #6,752 of 13,139

That's actually what I've been doing, removing the cable from the 'phones themselves instead of from the Amp. Thought I was safe at that point. No idea how the hell it blows up while on.

The Amp has made the occasional pop/ringing sound while on though, sort of sounds like if you flicked the tube itself, maybe that caused something to blow. Maybe I've had a defective Lyr, dunno, it was number #275 off the lot, so it was definitely one of the early birds out. People seem to be super happy with Schiit so it can't be a normal occurrence.

Sadly this has been my only tube amp, I'm running from my PC > Audio-GD NFB-11 > Lyr.

Man, I don't even know what to do anymore. Super frustrated that it seems like even trying to baby my equipment is costing me money, When compared to my old $200 pair of M-Audio 'phones from 10 years ago that I've been super rough on still work great, other than the pads.

Schiit, deepest sympathies. This is the first I've heard of an LCD getting fried by an amp.

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #6,758 of 13,139
Hey guys , I just bought a second hand lcd2 rec2 for 2011.... And I found out the left side is softer than right side and its annoy me.... But I am not sure is because of the cable or what.... And not sure am I thinking too much? What should I do? So I need to send it back to audeze? I am living in Singapore and I doubt how many months I have to wait

It happened to me too.. Left is softer,then the left driver just died.. I send my Lcd2's to audeze service centre (Eng Siang international) at kaki bukit..I got the drivers replaced n collection within 5days..

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #6,759 of 13,139
  This is the first gen Lyr though, not the Lyr 2

Also, I'd be wary of blaming the amp, when LCD headphones have been known to fail frequently anyways

Had mine for 2.5 yrs, out of BHA-1, Soloist, HA-160. Not a whimper.

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #6,761 of 13,139
I think the stats are skewered. Those with faulty LCD's may post here, but those with perfectly good units won't post anything (obviously). So we get a misleadingly alarming sampling here on this thread. But I agree, there amy be something amiss with the fazs vs. the older pre-fazs.

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #6,762 of 13,139
  I think the stats are skewered. Those with faulty LCD's may post here, but those with perfectly good units won't post anything (obviously). So we get a misleadingly alarming sampling here on this thread. But I agree, there amy be something amiss with the fazs vs. the older pre-fazs.

Audeze has acknowledged this problem, according to posters in the LCD3 driver failure thread.

I hear what you're saying, but it's relatively common.  It's not 20% of people, but it could be 1%, which is a lot, compared to maybe Sennheiser

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #6,763 of 13,139
I haven't seen much talk about how these sound for a while, so I thought I'd chime in. I got my new LCD-2 with Fazor about two weeks ago and I am so impressed with the sound - it was even better than I expected. I'm surprised to see that they're described as dark and lacking soundstage or imaging, but I guess that applies a lot more toward the pre-Fazor version. The new ones, IMO, are quite neutral and have great imaging and soundstage. If there's any darkness, it's in the lower treble region (somewhere around 2-6 KHz) where it's a little quieter than most headphones. It's a slight thing though, it's not way off neutral. This is exactly what I prefer since it makes them a little less harsh and, to me, more natural. The upper treble is very much there.

It's much better than my HD598 and SA5000 and makes them obsolete, so I won't compare it more with them. I'll say a little about it versus my JH13 though, which I think are great with few flaws, and I was sceptical that the LCD-2 would be worth buying from a sound perspective. After getting the LCD-2 though, I was immediately impressed and I like it a fair bit more than the JH13. The IEMs are pretty quiet in the upper midrange/lower treble region (kind of like the LCD-2 but much more so, to me), and they also suffer from the usual IEM lack of interaction with your ear that shapes the sound to be more natural. None of these were a problem at all until I heard the LCD-2, which really trumps the IEMs there. The imaging and soundstage is much better, and it sounds more transparent. The JH13 do have pretty good imaging and soundstage too, but the coloration puts you into some sort of virtual room with its own feel, while the LCD-2 sound more natural and realistic.

I also auditioned a few other headphones when I initially tried out the LCD-2, although listening conditions were pretty bad. I thought the HD800 (with its counterpart amp/DAC in balanced connection) sounded amazing with some types of music, including trance, which is one of my main genres. However, I think it's overall flawed, being harsh, with too much treble, and thin sounding. I don't dismiss this as just being revealing of bad recordings - real recordings are not all designed to hide harshness that's inherent to a lot of music like metal, and I don't consider only listening to pleasant recordings an option. LCD-2 handle any genre that I listen to well. Some songs of course still sound harsh or bad, but that's because that's how they are and the LCD-2 doesn't hide it, unlike the HD800 which I think just exaggerates it instead and brings it out where it shouldn't happen. Also, when I tried the LCD-3 at the same time, I didn't think it sounded significantly better than the LCD-2, but that could change with longer and better comparison.

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #6,764 of 13,139
  I haven't seen much talk about how these sound for a while, so I thought I'd chime in.

Yep…I’ve only had my pre-fazors for just over 2 months but there is something special/addictive about LCD-2s tonal qualities …believe it’s that richness and full bodied bass…and while do I find them great for most music…more so for trance, pop and electronic…I still keep my Sennheiser HD700s (which I personally preferred over the 800s) on hand as they do offer an alternative satisfying presentation to the music.

So far though I have also been pleasantly surprised/impressed with what Audeze had to offer.

Nov 9, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #6,765 of 13,139
  I haven't seen much talk about how these sound for a while, so I thought I'd chime in. I got my new LCD-2 with Fazor about two weeks ago and I am so impressed with the sound - it was even better than I expected. I'm surprised to see that they're described as dark and lacking soundstage or imaging, but I guess that applies a lot more toward the pre-Fazor version. The new ones, IMO, are quite neutral and have great imaging and soundstage. If there's any darkness, it's in the lower treble region (somewhere around 2-6 KHz) where it's a little quieter than most headphones. It's a slight thing though, it's not way off neutral. This is exactly what I prefer since it makes them a little less harsh and, to me, more natural. The upper treble is very much there.

It's much better than my HD598 and SA5000 and makes them obsolete, so I won't compare it more with them. I'll say a little about it versus my JH13 though, which I think are great with few flaws, and I was sceptical that the LCD-2 would be worth buying from a sound perspective. After getting the LCD-2 though, I was immediately impressed and I like it a fair bit more than the JH13. The IEMs are pretty quiet in the upper midrange/lower treble region (kind of like the LCD-2 but much more so, to me), and they also suffer from the usual IEM lack of interaction with your ear that shapes the sound to be more natural. None of these were a problem at all until I heard the LCD-2, which really trumps the IEMs there. The imaging and soundstage is much better, and it sounds more transparent. The JH13 do have pretty good imaging and soundstage too, but the coloration puts you into some sort of virtual room with its own feel, while the LCD-2 sound more natural and realistic.

I also auditioned a few other headphones when I initially tried out the LCD-2, although listening conditions were pretty bad. I thought the HD800 (with its counterpart amp/DAC in balanced connection) sounded amazing with some types of music, including trance, which is one of my main genres. However, I think it's overall flawed, being harsh, with too much treble, and thin sounding. I don't dismiss this as just being revealing of bad recordings - real recordings are not all designed to hide harshness that's inherent to a lot of music like metal, and I don't consider only listening to pleasant recordings an option. LCD-2 handle any genre that I listen to well. Some songs of course still sound harsh or bad, but that's because that's how they are and the LCD-2 doesn't hide it, unlike the HD800 which I think just exaggerates it instead and brings it out where it shouldn't happen. Also, when I tried the LCD-3 at the same time, I didn't think it sounded significantly better than the LCD-2, but that could change with longer and better comparison.

I'm with you on the LCD2 vs HD800.
Lots of people say HD800 is more transparent because of more treble energy. But actually.it makes them less transparent (in the scientific definition of transparency).
I try to explain this here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/575751/new-audeze-lcd3/10875#post_12063024

Personally I like the LCD2rev2 (non fazor) better than LCD2F. More foundation (bass extension) but a bit less treble for the rev2.
Might be a question of taste but the LCD2 non fazor have this audeze lowend that I like very much and which II never heard except on the LCD3 non fazor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back