Audeze LCD-3: Sound wrecked by Fazor?
Jun 10, 2019 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

utdeep

Headphoneus Supremus
I have an LCD-3 in early 2014 (Pre-Fazor). It was easily the best headphone I had ever heard with incredible lightning quick bass and smooth vocals.

I recently purchased an LCD-3 from Audeze. It was very different. The bass did not go as low. The vocals felt recessed and mids overall felt wrong. I tried another recent LCD-3 and it was the same. After testing out an LCD-X, I found it was also lacking the remarkable musical nature of my first LCD-3s and matched the sound of my new LCD-3s..

Has anyone else had the same experience with Fazor vs. Pre-Fazor? Clearly, there is a desire for the Pre-Fazor with the emergence of the "classic" models. I would pay a significant premium for the Pre-Fazors since they are getting so rare. In fact, anything that still works in 2019 probably doesn't have the quality control issues that Audeze was also known for at the time.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #2 of 23
I'm fairly certain I've never owned a pair of pre-Fazor LCD-3s, but I have gone through 5 different LCD-3s trying to find the right one, all with Fazor. My very first was actually my favorite and it was an older pair. Unfortunately I sold it, thinking I could just buy a new LCD-3 and get the same sound, but like you've experienced, there is very noticeable variation between the early vs. current production LCD-3s.

Recently, I was able to acquire an LCD-3F with drivers from 2014 (serial number 261***) and it sounds as perfect as an LCD-3 could sound to me! Better bass than current production LCD-4s, though not as wide soundstage of course. Great headphone if you want an intimate sound. My suspicion would be driver revisions have had a greater impact on the over tonality than Fazor vs. non-Fazor. As for quality control, I definitely worry that my old LCD-3 drivers are going to die any time now...but I tell myself that if they've lasted this long, they must be one of the better built ones!

You'll probably get more response if you post in the full LCD-3 thread too. Best of luck finding your "unicorn" pair :o2smile:

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 23
Recently acquired an LCD-3F here, 2015 Q4 (sn 282****.) They are the best I've ever heard, nothing wanting WRT extension, dynamics, liquidity, imaging to die for.

[But, I believe, needs real amplification to shine, especially hybrids. Driving them balanced with Mjolnir works just fine, but Vali 2 also rocks.]

Feb 28, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 23
I have never heard the LCD-3 fazor...I own a pre- fazor and just adore the sound....delicious smooth milk chocolate mids :yum:

Feb 28, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #7 of 23
They could be in game but I like having more than one set of headphones around

Mar 4, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #9 of 23
Clearly, there is a desire for the Pre-Fazor with the emergence of the "classic" models.
I read that the LCD-2C sounds different from the pre-fazor LCD-2's, use of the newer, thinner diaphragms IIRC sans fazor arrays of course.

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 23
I can confirm with the same experience. I've owned both the pre fazor and post fazor, sold my pre fazor due to warranty concern. But the mids of the pre-fazor is a lot smoother, however, I do like the added dynamic post fazor , it sounds more punchy and faster in overall micro dynamic.

Mar 17, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #13 of 23
I just got the LCD3 Fazors... I am not too happy about the weight but been the first pair of Fazors I heave owned. I am pretty happy with them,

Sep 15, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #14 of 23
Just wanted to chime in and mention that this thread helped out in convincing me to keep my pre fazor LCD 3s that I was about to sell!

I always loved the way they sounded but rarely ever used them. My issue is my desktop listening wound up being relegated to just jamming out with my guitar to my favorite songs as backing tracks using an Axe Fx III (top of the line digital modeling and effects unit that I use for silent playing and as a mixer for the backing tracks). The open back nature of the LCD 3s is not ideal since I can hear the guitar strings if I don't have the volume loud enough or am playing solo without a song. I had switched over to using IEMs, JH Audio Roxanne's, because of this. So I was taking the LCDs for one last spin before posting a listing and fell in love with them again and will be converting back to using them going forward.

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #15 of 23
If you are happy with YOUR purchase, enjoy your music. If you enjoy the gear, God help your wallet. Just don't get caught in the "next miracle" hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back