Audeze MM-100
Jan 28, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #1,396 of 1,447
Just received these yesterday. I am very surprised (in a good way). Clearly they are mixing/mastering headphones, but the sound is enjoyable and clean and the build for $399 are you kidding me? These are very well buillt. Simple but they have their own elegance. Comfortable and having the cable on only one side is a nice benefit.

Great job Audeze !
When you say clearly they are mixing/mastering headphones, what do you mean specifically? Are they clinical or overly analytical? I’m looking for a fun, spacious sounding planar to compliment my 6xx and Focal Clear and none of the Hifimans I’ve tried scratched my itch.

Jan 28, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #1,397 of 1,447
Just received these yesterday. I am very surprised (in a good way). Clearly they are mixing/mastering headphones, but the sound is enjoyable and clean and the build for $399 are you kidding me? These are very well buillt. Simple but they have their own elegance. Comfortable and having the cable on only one side is a nice benefit.

Great job Audeze !
Greetings Searchingtom! I will get some
time today to finally check them out. From the most recent comments the quality, fitment, and overall performance sounds pretty encouraging to me. Thank you for your sharing and hope to hear more...:)

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #1,398 of 1,447
Just shows that spending lots doesn't necessarily buy you good engineering. Surely, pads are the one thing that should be easily and cheaply replaceable ... ?

Having replaced earpads on DCA and Audeze headphones that use adhesive, I can say that it's still relatively easy to do. It does make pad rolling harder

Jan 28, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #1,399 of 1,447
Had a listen yesterday.
  • Heavy
  • Adjustment mechanism is a joke.
  • Plastic pads. Huge on the outside, small on the inside. Glued. Will make ears slimy over time (useless in summer, unless you have aircon.)
  • Magnesium cups are Ok.
  • Sound is better than anticipated. Slightly shouty, but usually well balanced. Not for bass-heads, but not overly lean either nor flat. Can be fun.
Fot the asking price in EU, they do have strong competition.

Time to give Fiio FT5 a listen :)

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #1,401 of 1,447
I too had a brief listening session. Right out of the box: for me, perfect fit and balance on my head. Nicely made and seems solid, more so than my 400se...ha ha. Sound wise, seems like they would do well to give them some time before truly enjoying them. But, they do have promise, using the stock cable and my Cayin N3pro on tube mode nice and controlled upper mids, lower, and upper treble. Which was My greatest fear. Running them now on the Whammy at about 7 o'clock on the volume pot. Plenty of sound coming through.
Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #1,402 of 1,447
When you say clearly they are mixing/mastering headphones, what do you mean specifically? Are they clinical or overly analytical? I’m looking for a fun, spacious sounding planar to compliment my 6xx and Focal Clear and none of the Hifimans I’ve tried scratched my itch.
They are trying to show you everything as it is presented meaning no shaping of sound. But these are not $2000 headphones. They are doing their presentation at $400 in a build that feels much more robust than most $400 headphones (especially that are produced stateside). For the money you cannot get a better pair of clean sounding, well built and comfortable headphones. I have tried over 100 headphones and these value wise are probably at the top.

I will probaby buy a second pair before the price goes up.

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #1,403 of 1,447
They are trying to show you everything as it is presented meaning no shaping of sound. But these are not $2000 headphones. They are doing their presentation at $400 in a build that feels much more robust than most $400 headphones (especially that are produced stateside). For the money you cannot get a better pair of clean sounding, well built and comfortable headphones. I have tried over 100 headphones and these value wise are probably at the top.

Well stated, I now clearly understand the value of these, having a limited "history" of owned headphones to compare ...Still breaking them in (at 10hrs now), took a quick listen this am and they seem to be opening up a bit. For a heavy-ish headphone, they are amazingly comfortable. Will see later how long sessions pan out.

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #1,404 of 1,447
Yeah, it really can't be overstated the value you for your money with the MM-100. The pleather strap could offer more minute adjustments but really that's my only complaint, and that's a nitpick. The stock setting works fine for me. More annoying than glued pads would be Audeze overcharging for a pair of replacements. Exceptional build quality for the price, which makes me wonder what a new entry-level LCD would be like with this chassis. Certainly for the price no one's coming this close. But this build even compares favorably to more boutique brands like ZMF and Meze.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #1,405 of 1,447

I agree they are very stellar build wise! Why do you think the price would go up?

Jan 30, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #1,406 of 1,447

I don’t find my Focal Clear OGs to be shaping the sound. If you are able, how would these compare to somthing like the Clears or the Austrian Audio X-65s?!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 3:11 AM Post #1,408 of 1,447
An average product at best.

In EU, where quality matters, so far no hype.

Jan 31, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #1,409 of 1,447
An average product at best.

In EU, where quality matters, so far no hype.
It really depends on your use IMO! For recording guitar these are the most accurate sounding to how my guitar sounds coming out of my actual amp speakers and I’ve tried just about everything under $500 meant for studio use and even higher with the Arya, HE1000V2, denon9200, hd800s.

The 800s gets really close guitar wise but isn’t ideal for recording use for me and I find the mm100 to be super comfortable and the gel pads are cooling

For pure listening, I’d agree that they are nice and fun sounding but have some issues without EQ. Whatever the mid boost/shouty sound is works quite well for recording IMO!

For $400 I’d disagree they are an “average product at best” and when they get down more to $300 used I’d say they are pretty stellar deal and product for their intended use

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #1,410 of 1,447
For 1602zł I’d disagree they are an “average product at best” and when they get down more to 1202zł used I’d say they are pretty stellar deal and product for their intended use

Fair enough. In EU however they cost close to 575$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back