Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Jun 17, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #32 of 1,722
Don’t feel bad. I just like the idea of a compact all in one, and the R-28 doesn’t seem to make any compromises either. But the separates stack is going to be awesome, and you get more flexibility with it as well.

At the price the NFB-1 + R2R 1 stack is an audio bargain of note, and is the way I would consider going rather than the AIO route.
I prefer seperate PSU's and the awesome flexibility that the stack offers.

I can fully appreciate the appeal of the R-28 to those preferring the neat and tidy approach.
I like going up rather than sideways though!

Looking forward to some hands-on feedback on this beast!

Jun 17, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #33 of 1,722
At the price the NFB-1 + R2R 1 stack is an audio bargain of note, and is the way I would consider going rather than the AIO route.
I prefer seperate PSU's and the awesome flexibility that the stack offers.

I can fully appreciate the appeal of the R-28 to those preferring the neat and tidy approach.
I like going up rather than sideways though!

Looking forward to some hands-on feedback on this beast!
Until the R-28 was announced (and don’t forget it’s been less than a week) I was of the same mind - going up (from an AIO like the R2R-11) meant getting a separate high-powered balanced amp and dac. That’s still a reasonable position, and there are advantages to separates no doubt. But to my mind (and for my purposes) the R-28 looks to be, even at this early stage, a gamechanger. A no-compromise AIO that actually *improves* on the separates it combines.

Now we wait to see if it lives up to its promise, and if it does, game over.

Jun 17, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #34 of 1,722
really instead of conjecture only listening will really tell us. because clean power (and therefore power supply) is very important to the SQ but also shortening the signal path as a result of going AIO so really depends on the implementation. i cant wait to give it a listen and hope for a sound signature like the r2r11

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #35 of 1,722
Until the R-28 was announced (and don’t forget it’s been less than a week) I was of the same mind - going up (from an AIO like the R2R-11) meant getting a separate high-powered balanced amp and dac. That’s still a reasonable position, and there are advantages to separates no doubt. But to my mind (and for my purposes) the R-28 looks to be, even at this early stage, a gamechanger. A no-compromise AIO that actually *improves* on the separates it combines.

Now we wait to see if it lives up to its promise, and if it does, game over.
There is at least a new feature: same output power single-ended and balanced. Ant the transfo is a 50w or bigger, not sure. I think there is a very good chance it will be awesome. To get a signature similar to the r2r 11, one will need to use it in nos mode.i expect it won't be exactly the same.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #36 of 1,722
I think a lot of it will come down to the headphone amp section.

Jun 18, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #38 of 1,722
Hmmm, 5% off sale going on right now for "finished products". Wonder if that includes the R-28?

Jun 18, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #40 of 1,722
Email Kingwa and ask. Let us all know...:blush:

Well, I guess there's no need. He's updating the website to include all the costs pre-calculated with different options and shipping. It's happening right now.
By my calculations, the R-28 price quote now listed on the audio-gd website of $1150 shipped to USA, w/TCXO upgrade, does indeed include the 5% discount. It would be about $1200 without the discount, if my maths are correct.

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #41 of 1,722
Well, I guess there's no need. He's updating the website to include all the costs pre-calculated with different options and shipping. It's happening right now.
By my calculations, the R-28 price quote now listed on the audio-gd website of $1150 shipped to USA, w/TCXO upgrade, does indeed include the 5% discount. It would be about $1200 without the discount, if my maths are correct.

Right you are! I know from experience... :)

Jun 18, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #42 of 1,722
Really debating getting this, but also considering the NFB 29.38. Going to mostly use SE but might buy a balanced cable for my HD800S (I bought used so it didn't come with one). Also planning on using IEM (hopefully the Andromeda soon) with it. Anyone have any insight?

Jun 18, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #43 of 1,722
The r-28 is more versatile. Also it really depends on whether you prefer prefer the r2r or the delta-sigma sound. But as i often mention, if you can do a software conversion to dsd on the fly, the audio-gd r2r dacs will sound like delta-sigmas. And you have 3 nos modes to choose from on top of that.

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #45 of 1,722
Can any give me an idea of how much improvement would be seen with the R2R-28 vs the R2R-11? Would there be a truly noticeable improvement with the substantially higher costs system?
You will get better dynamics, sharper attacks. A better soundstage as well. But you most likely will need a very good transport to extract the best out of it. The beauty of the r2r 11 is it sound amazing through the on-board usb input. The signal path is not as direct with the dacs with a dsp board. So you need a source with very low noise level and jitter level to maximize sound quality. At least, that is the case with the r2r 7. The r2r-1 and r-28 should be somewhere in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back