Audio-Technica AT-BHA100 & AT-DAC100
Nov 26, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #121 of 152
Do keep us posted. Hope it works out for you. Make sure to upgrade the PSU to unleash all the sonic potential of the AT-BHA100.

Dec 1, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #122 of 152
Do keep us posted. Hope it works out for you. Make sure to upgrade the PSU to unleash all the sonic potential of the AT-BHA100.

So it arrived today and…it was legit! Was worried being an unknown Chinese 3rd party seller but it’s all here, warranty cards, legit looking stickers, DHL tracking, & a nice thank you card.

I’m not lying when I say I’ve been waiting since MAY to get my hands on one of these. Talked to so many distributors and on wait for months with two of them. And I have to say, I wasn’t disappointed which after my long saga to get one I expected to be. Tried it with the native DAC and my Grado GS3000x and it does exactly what I wanted it to do, it takes another brand’s HP and gives it the typical Audio Technical flavor with juicy female vocals, light bass and a upper midrange twist. Definitely a colored amp versus neutral but I got plenty of those damn things already so I’m happy. I know some people don’t like the native dac with it or think it’s too much of a good thing, but I love it and will definitely experiment with others. It’s got a nice syrupy easy-going sound. Will also look into a better PSU too.

One criticism, I freaked out a bit at first because I used balanced output with a SE input and after pushing the balanced input button the amp started freaking out making popping sounds and flashing colors and I quickly pulled my HP cable, set it back and it stopped. Is this normal? Do I need to use a balanced in to access balanced out? It’s especially silly if true as the DAC has no balanced out.

here is the link again for anyone wanting their last chance to get one new.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...612742!sh!US!4503426427!&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Attachments

• IMG_0692.jpeg
    IMG_0692.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #123 of 152
So it arrived today and…it was legit! Was worried being an unknown Chinese 3rd party seller but it’s all here, warranty cards, legit looking stickers, DHL tracking, & a nice thank you card.

I’m not lying when I say I’ve been waiting since MAY to get my hands on one of these. Talked to so many distributors and on wait for months with two of them. And I have to say, I wasn’t disappointed which after my long saga to get one I expected to be. Tried it with the native DAC and my Grado GS3000x and it does exactly what I wanted it to do, it takes another brand’s HP and gives it the typical Audio Technical flavor with juicy female vocals, light bass and a upper midrange twist. Definitely a colored amp versus neutral but I got plenty of those damn things already so I’m happy. I know some people don’t like the native dac with it or think it’s too much of a good thing, but I love it and will definitely experiment with others. It’s got a nice syrupy easy-going sound. Will also look into a better PSU too.

One criticism, I freaked out a bit at first because I used balanced output with a SE input and after pushing the balanced input button the amp started freaking out making popping sounds and flashing colors and I quickly pulled my HP cable, set it back and it stopped. Is this normal? Do I need to use a balanced in to access balanced out? It’s especially silly if true as the DAC has no balanced out.

here is the link again for anyone wanting their last chance to get one new.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805696705978.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allProduct.8148356.5.245367331Hrkv1&pdp_npi=4@dis!USD!US $1,336.00!US $1,189.04!!!1336.00!1189.04!@210318c317014812780693304e7385!12000034693612742!sh!US!4503426427!&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa
Still loving your amp? I recently add a 4.4 mm input using a genuine Penntaconn jack. Really like the convenient of 4.4 mm input from my Ibasso DX320 Max. This also allows a 4.4 mm loop out if the XLR input is used

You really need to buy the iFi iPower Elite for your amp. The improvement is immediate and wholesome.

Attachments

• IMG_5972.jpeg
    IMG_5972.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5961.jpeg
    IMG_5961.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5964.jpeg
    IMG_5964.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #124 of 152
Still loving your amp? I recently add a 4.4 mm input using a genuine Penntaconn jack. Really like the convenient of 4.4 mm input from my Ibasso DX320 Max. This also allows a 4.4 mm loop out if the XLR input is used

You really need to buy the iFi iPower Elite for your amp. The improvement is immediate and wholesome.

I’m inundated with new toys and reconfiguring my whole audio setup to more easily handle my suite of dacs and amps so unfortunately haven’t had time to listen much :frowning2: however I did get the DC tips you recommended in the earlier thread and planned on experimenting with using my Ferrum Hypsos for power.

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #126 of 152
Has anyone tried other tubes other the JJs the BHA100 came with? Something less noisy perhaps?

Looking at the photo, looks like the amp can take 2 sets of dual tubes (BAL and SE) and pretty much any 12ax7 compatible tubes.
bh100tubes.jpg

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #127 of 152
Is the use of four 12AT7s (gain: 60x) vs 12AX7s (gain: 100x) feasible in BHA-100 to reduce / eliminate 'noise floor'?

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #128 of 152
Has anyone tried other tubes other the JJs the BHA100 came with? Something less noisy perhaps?

Looking at the photo, looks like the amp can take 2 sets of dual tubes (BAL and SE) and pretty much any 12ax7 compatible tubes.
bh100tubes.jpg
Rolling tube isn’t easy here. You need to desolder and solder the tube back. That’s not easy to do at all. No socket for easy tuberolling.

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #129 of 152
Feb 6, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #131 of 152
No wonder BHA-100 was discontinued. Until now, I have never heard of a tube amp with non-removable tubes 🤨😠...

Feb 6, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #132 of 152
No wonder BHA-100 was discontinued. Until now, I have never heard of a tube amp with non-removable tubes 🤨😠...
You can, just have to be really good at DIY installing four tube sockets that’s all.

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #134 of 152
Yes, I am sure. If the tubes are socketed, I will be one of the very first people to tube roll. This is also the case for the HA5050H. Honestly though, the circuit and these JJ tubes are tuned together and this amp does sound excellent with plenty of driving power especially with an upgraded PSU. You always can fine tuned the sound with good interconnect and DAC.

Feb 10, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #135 of 152
As measured at by A7Audiolab his unit has channel imbalance and in the comments someone wrote that the tubes are not matched at the factory. Now whether tubes at input stage has to be matched or not matters is up to ones opinion.

Moving on.. I stumbled upon this.. so it appears the tubes are rather fit in super tight rather than soldered?

Original post

RE: [Experience] Audio-Technica AT-BHA100 Listening​

A few days ago, I watched K University’s brief discussion on BHA-100 tube replacement.
Later, I privately messaged K University and asked a lot of questions.
Finally decided to change the tube and have a look
--
First of all, please remind
The tube of BHA-100 is really difficult to disassemble and assemble
If you are not confident, it is best to ask the store to help you exchange it.
--
Here are some thoughts on changing pipes
Preparation tools
A shaped screwdriver
A flat-blade screwdriver
A needle about the same thickness as a vacuum tube pin or something similar (I use a mechanical pencil)
--
First use a star-shaped screwdriver to remove the upper cover

(The vacuum tube is half removed in the picture)
--
Dismantle the tube again
It took half an hour just to remove the original pipe.
Later I got the trick
Hold the tube lightly with the index finger and thumb of your right hand, pull it outward and shake it gently
Hold a flat-blade screwdriver in your left hand against the middle of the base and the tube, and gently apply downward pressure while shaking it.

After digging out a small gap
Insert a flat-blade screwdriver into the gap on the left (right) side of the pipe, and use leverage to slowly push the pipe out.
After pushing out one part, switch to the other side to prevent the pin from being dented

--
After removing all the original pipes, prepare to replace them with new pipes
I think it's more difficult to install the tube than to remove it.
It took me an hour to do this step
Because the hole in the base is quite tight, and because there is a fixed clamp where the tube is placed, it is difficult to insert the tube straight in (I pushed it in with a lot of force and it was not moved at all)

So take out the prepared needle (automatic pen) and poke it into the hole of each base, shake it left and right or keep inserting and pulling it in to force the hole to expand (X) and loosen (O)

After loosening, align the tube with the hole. Hold the base with your left hand. Press the top of the vacuum tube with your right index finger and thumb and press it in until it gets stuck. At this time, keep pushing up with your right hand. Insert some of the upper pins, then tuck in some of the lower pins, and continue this process until the vacuum tube is completely inserted into the base. It should be noted that if it cannot be pushed in no matter how hard you apply, use a slotted screw to pull out the vacuum tube with a lever, use a needle to loosen some of the gaps in the base and try again -

After installation, turn on the phone and listen immediately.
When I first heard it, the background became darker, the dynamics became better, and it was full of emotion.
I think the improvement is greater than that of line electrical analysis.
However, the sound becomes noisy, but this should be solved by running the vacuum tube for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back