Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
May 8, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #16 of 539
~40 hour mark of burn-in:

Wow.  These have really opened up and finally sound like they sounded when I first auditioned them at the store. 

Now I remember why I bought them.  I'm going to revise my review a little bit, because the balance has shot through the roof and these sound almost exactly like Beyerdynamic DT880's right now!  The A900X's are quickly becoming my favourite pair of cans.  The best part is that I don't -need- an amp!

May 8, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #17 of 539
Quote:
~40 hour mark of burn-in:

Wow.  These have really opened up and finally sound like they sounded when I first auditioned them at the store. 

Now I remember why I bought them.  I'm going to revise my review a little bit, because the balance has shot through the roof and these sound almost exactly like Beyerdynamic DT880's right now!  The A900X's are quickly becoming my favourite pair of cans.  The best part is that I don't -need- an amp!

That's great! How are the pads doing? Notice any change in those?

So, you mention they sound similar to the DT880. How's the bass between the two? How about midrange?

May 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #19 of 539
Quote:

That's great! How are the pads doing? Notice any change in those?

So, you mention they sound similar to the DT880. How's the bass between the two? How about midrange?

The pads are more comfortable now--perhaps not Denon D2000 level comfortable, but they feel softer and I never need to take the headphones off from fatigue due to the earpads now.  (It still gets a bit hot so I need to take them off to vent occasionally).

Quote:
Do the pads on these flake off like previous headphones in the Art series? 

I'm not sure!  As of now, I don't notice any flaking.  But I'll be sure to post updates if I notice anything.

I hope more people get a chance to try these headphones--I feel that they are underrated at the moment.  Not many people have heard these and the competition is pretty tough in the price category.

May 8, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #20 of 539
Glad you're enjoying the A900X, it seems this may be a good alternative for those who don't want to spend as much for a pair of W100X.

Quote:
Do the pads on these flake off like previous headphones in the Art series? 

The ear pads on the A900X are the same the ones on the A900LTD, A950LTD, and A1000 which are made of leather that are a bit on the stiff side. They won't flake or peel like the cheap pleather crap pads on the A500, A700, and A900, but they are a bit stiffer.

May 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #22 of 539
In my opinion you can't go wrong with either.  The DT770 has overpowering bass from when I last heard them, but some people may like that.

The A900X's will have a more vivid midrange and better instrument separation, while still maintaining amazing control on the lower end.

I haven't had the DT770's for long enough to really compare their comfort levels.

In the end it is down to what you prefer--good luck on your search!

May 9, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #23 of 539
lol been eyeing this headphone for so long, can't believe I missed this review for almost 3 days. Great review and glad to see that you liked them enough to post your opinions. Can I ask how much you got them for? There is only 1 UK shop selling them here for a massively inflated £303 which is ~$488. They have a 30 day return policy so I'll be sure to use it although it'll be annoying having such a big chunk of money out of my account for a while. 

A few questions if I may. You mentioned you listen to j-pop. Can I ask specifically which j-pop artist? As we all know Boa is Korean so she doesn't count 
tongue.gif
. That picture you showed of the shop was brilliant. Did you get to try all the headphones there? If you have heard them, a comparison between the AD2000 and AD900 would be nice if you can remember. If not a comparison with your dt880 would be helpful to the community as well since a lot of them have tried it.

Speaking of the air series, are the velour pads interchangeable? And if you have any children, or anyone around with a small head would you mind checking if these fit properly and if they can get a good seal.  I auditioned the a700x in a shop, and with my head being small I had to press against them to get the bass to come alive. I don't know if the headband can be bent.

And last question (sorry), are these better than the D2000's in your opinion?

May 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #24 of 539
Quote:
lol been eyeing this headphone for so long, can't believe I missed this review for almost 3 days. Great review and glad to see that you liked them enough to post your opinions. Can I ask how much you got them for? There is only 1 UK shop selling them here for a massively inflated £303 which is ~$488. They have a 30 day return policy so I'll be sure to use it although it'll be annoying having such a big chunk of money out of my account for a while. 

A few questions if I may. You mentioned you listen to j-pop. Can I ask specifically which j-pop artist? As we all know Boa is Korean so she doesn't count 
tongue.gif
. That picture you showed of the shop was brilliant. Did you get to try all the headphones there? If you have heard them, a comparison between the AD2000 and AD900 would be nice if you can remember. If not a comparison with your dt880 would be helpful to the community as well since a lot of them have tried it.

Speaking of the air series, are the velour pads interchangeable? And if you have any children, or anyone around with a small head would you mind checking if these fit properly and if they can get a good seal.  I auditioned the a700x in a shop, and with my head being small I had to press against them to get the bass to come alive. I don't know if the headband can be bent.

And last question (sorry), are these better than the D2000's in your opinion?

I bought them at $240ish CAD.  (I don't know if I'm allowed to post prices, so please PM me if this needs to be edited).

My favourite jpop artists are:  Yanagi Nagi, Miura Daichi, Capsule, Perfume, Nana Mizuki, Hiromi (R&B one!), Kana Nishino, Mami Kawada and Utada Hikaru.  BoA too, she totally counts =P  Can't discriminate--she also does jpop! 

I'm also totally obsessed with rhythm game music (Dance Dance Revolution, In The Groove, Guitar Freaks, Drummania, Taiko no Tatsujin, Jubeat, Reflect Beat, DJ Max series, Beatmania series) and also Touhou doujin music (Alstroemeria Records, EastNewSound).  Just feel the need to mention all this whenever I mention jpop, no clue why.

I got to try most of the headphones there.  I didn't notice a notable difference between the AD2000 and the AD900--or at least, not a big enough difference for it to catch my eye.  Mind you, this was all unamped so I'm sure the difference would be there with an amp.

I feel that the DT880's are superior to the AD900's without a doubt. 

I actually have no clue whether the pads are interchangeable, but on a positive note, the pads have broken in enough that they're pretty comfortable.  I'm a 22 year old broke university student--so no children! =P  I had a friend with a smaller head wear them and he said they felt fine and they sounded great, but I'm not sure if he had anything to really base the sound off of.

Lastly, I can't say these are better than the D2000's.  They're different and give a different sound.  I do prefer the A900X's more than the D2000's for these reasons:

- I enjoy the super spacious sound relative to the D2000's
- I think the midrange is addictive on the A900X's, where as they're just ''there'' on the D2000's
- The bass sounds a lot more natural

Now, someone may prefer the D2000's for these reasons:

- They're more comfortable in the short run (but they get hotter faster and the D2000's need more frequent ventilation)
- The bass is more convincing--it hits harder, it hits deeper, it's more engaging
- The construction of the D2000 is more ''solid'' feeling than the A900X

They both have wonderful highs and they're both easily driven without an amp, so that's a big plus for both cans.  They both also seem to excel in the exact same category of music (trance, jpop, all that stuff I listed in my review).

If anyone has anymore questions, feel free to ask away!  I want this thread to be a pool of useful information, though I'm afraid I've said almost all that I could possibly say about these headphones by now, unless I am to get another pair of headphones to compare these with.

May 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #25 of 539
Quote:
I feel that the DT880's are superior to the AD900's without a doubt. 

Now, someone may prefer the D2000's for these reasons:

- The bass is more convincing--it hits harder, it hits deeper, it's more engaging

I actually liked the AD900 more. Comfort, build, and sound.

I personally don't think the D2000's bass is all that great anyway. Glad the A900X is toned down from the D2000.

May 9, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #26 of 539
lol Silly me. I meant the a900x not the ad900's 
darthsmile.gif
. Are the DT880's and D2000's better than the 900x in your opinion?

Seems you're really into the Japanese culture (like a lot of us). I'm unfamiliar/don't listen to most of the artists you listed, apart from perfume who I thought were really annoying up until a week ago where I've been watching their youtube videos non stop. Love their music. Getting their albums now. Their songs sound great on my $30 panasonics, but I'm not sure if I'll really notice any difference with more expensive phones apart from sound signature. I'm sure I've heard of capsule before but can't remember where. Maybe in some anime? 

May 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #27 of 539
Nice review!

I've been looking at these and the k550s for a while now- I think I'm going to get these.

I had a chance to listen to both(unamped) a few days ago, and I really think the 900x was better in just about every facet.

May 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #28 of 539
Quote:
lol Silly me. I meant the a900x not the ad900's 
darthsmile.gif
. Are the DT880's and D2000's better than the 900x in your opinion?

Seems you're really into the Japanese culture (like a lot of us). I'm unfamiliar/don't listen to most of the artists you listed, apart from perfume who I thought were really annoying up until a week ago where I've been watching their youtube videos non stop. Love their music. Getting their albums now. Their songs sound great on my $30 panasonics, but I'm not sure if I'll really notice any difference with more expensive phones apart from sound signature. I'm sure I've heard of capsule before but can't remember where. Maybe in some anime? 

Was that directed at me or OP?

May 9, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #30 of 539
Quote:
Oh no! Just saw the A700X on Amazon for $100 cheaper than the A900X. I wonder what I should do...?

Don't know Katun. All plastic or all aluminum. Less refined vs more refined.  That my friend is up to you. Though I have to admit I am kinda curious about them A700X myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back