Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Mar 22, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #1,262 of 2,669
Iirc, the MBP has a pretty good headphone jack as far as laptops go, but most computers should have no problem with the R70x. Even my phone (Xperia Z3 Compact) gets the R70x's to a pretty acceptable volume when I tried. But I leave these at my desk plugged in to an E10K anyways. 

Halfway on a FiiO E10K low gain gets them to about as loud as I would ever use. It be nice if they were harder to drive so I could actually use more than half of the volume knob. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #1,263 of 2,669
I have had the Brainwavz HM5 Sheepskin Leather for two months and have just received the Shure HPAEC1540 and I have to say that I prefer the comfort of the Shure HPAC1540 by a large margin.

The Shure earpads feel like two pieces of pillow softly cushioning my ears, whereas the Brainwavs earpads feels rough in comparison.

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #1,264 of 2,669
Will these pads fit?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ath-m50x-velour-earpads?1=1&utm_placement=10&referer=6CX42E&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202017-04-04&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional&utm_content=1491298751481.569135057647328655372291

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #1,266 of 2,669
I just picked a used pair of these cans in immaculate condition, and I am very happy with them. I haven't made a direct comparison between the R70x and my HD6XX or HE-400i yet, but I am enjoying them immensely listening to Ry Cooder and Andres Segovia. Very light and comfortable, too. Handsome, as well!

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #1,268 of 2,669
I just picked a used pair of these cans in immaculate condition, and I am very happy with them. I haven't made a direct comparison between the R70x and my HD6XX or HE-400i yet, but I am enjoying them immensely listening to Ry Cooder and Andres Segovia. Very light and comfortable, too. Handsome, as well!

Love to hear your views about those comparisons. I bought mine after just one listen and is due to arrive any day. I compared it to the HD650 and HD600 at the shop and found neither to sound as natural and smooth as the R70x.

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #1,271 of 2,669
Nice to see these headphones getting some love here. I saw this thread earlier this evening and decided to throw on my pair. It has been a few months and I wanted to see if I still loved them. I have moved twice in the last 9 months and just recently had some DAC issues so it is a bit complicated, but I am very confident I have a handle on these things and will let you know what I think about how they compare to HD600 from memory and a few other higher end phones that while not a fair comparison may be helpful to others none the less.

My system has changed significantly over the last year so I will start at the beginning with the R70x... heard them at a meet in Minneapolis, immediately liked them better than my HD600 after listening to them both side by side on my Gustard stack (X12/H10). I will stand by that judgement call to this day, but after more listening on a few more different systems I would not be so quick to assume everyone else would come to the same conclusion. The HD600 and especially HD650 have a richer more full bodied sound and IMHO more cohesive and balanced across the range for a wider variety of music. If you share my love for the Audio-Technica house sound however, and sometimes feel like the Senns can be too smooth at times, then yes, the R70x is a real contender. First, it has a little more magic with my favorite vocals, mostly female, but a better midrange in general most of the time (but not all the time). If find that brass has a little more realistic bite without getting harsh, and as others have mentioned I think it delivers a faster and better delineated (more instrument separation) presentation. Bass is not as deep, and has a little less punch, but I think it has better texture and definition and thus more enjoyable for me. I ordered a balanced cable from Surf and plugged them into my Cavalli Liquid Carbon v2 and was completely blown away. I am not sure how I feel about balanced anything, but in this particular case the synergy was there, bringing the whole signal chain together in a fantastic way.

Downside? Sure, I think the imaging is not as wide as it could/should be, and can at times get a bit congested sounding when the going gets tough. Depending on recording, the bass can drift into a bit of a wooly direction, losing some clarity around the edges. Treble is to my liking, but not as consistent and extended as it could be, and a little rolled off in general (which to me is correct, I am an AQ Nighthawk fan so I think most phones are bright by default).

My real reason for keeping them while others have come and gone however boils down to weight and comfort. When I want to just do some casual listening and not worry about my ears getting hot, my head feeling pressurized or my neck feeling burdened, these are my go to "relaxation" headphones. Not to take away from what I feel is great performance for the buck, but at the end of the day it is more physical than musical merits for me. I listened today on my latest system setup Emotiva DC-1 DAC (waiting to get my Matrix X-Sabre Pro serviced) feeding Cavalli Liquid Crimson (Carbon was a gateway drug, my wallet is still crying). A bit overkill for this headphone, but at least I feel like I am pushing it well beyond it's full capabilities. I do think it needs a good kick to come alive, even if you are experiencing good volume you are probably missing out just a bit on the added grip and control a strong desktop amp can give it.

I am getting to the point of sending these back out into the world as my needs have changed, but before I do I wanted to stop in here and pay my respects. I think this is a great headphone. Compared to AQ NightHawk, bass is not as deep but the upper bass and lower mids feel a bit better defined. Top end is very similar and of course the voicing is different. I think the AQ are more honest and consistent though they don't sound as "flat" as the R70x can sound on some music. Ditto the Beyer DT1990, better bass and even a smidge more resolution across the board than both the AQ and AT. If I wanted something to do double duty, both casual listening and some headphones for a home studio or serious musician, the R70x is a great starting point but the DT 1990 does bring you up to another level (at twice the price).

For the last year my game plan has been R70x for fun, DT1990 for bigger punch, extension and dynamics when I am in the mood, and something close to end game TBD for me as the personal flagship. Well, I just got lucky and picked up a new HD800S, and it is so comfortable that the R70x is just not going to get the head time it deserves. As I was mostly swimming around at the mid-fi level (hope that doesn't sound pompous) for many years now, I really wish I had spent that time with the R70x instead of the many others I had come through my house, but they just didn't exist back then. Yes, it is not the best studio tool, and it is not really all that influenced by the AT house sound, but it is there... but if you value definition and speed and a little bit of that airy sound AT vocal presentation these are a real gem. I have recently switched to Martin Logan ESL (the entry model) for my small living room, and I think the voicing between those and the R70x is actually very similar. Small, light, quick, and a dangerously charming voice. What's not to like? If you want more extension and resolution without giving up any of those strengths, you are going to have to really cough up a lot more bucks.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #1,272 of 2,669
Nice to see these headphones getting some love here. I saw this thread earlier this evening and decided to throw on my pair. It has been a few months and I wanted to see if I still loved them. I have moved twice in the last 9 months and just recently had some DAC issues so it is a bit complicated, but I am very confident I have a handle on these things and will let you know what I think about how they compare to HD600 from memory and a few other higher end phones that while not a fair comparison may be helpful to others none the less.

My system has changed significantly over the last year so I will start at the beginning with the R70x... heard them at a meet in Minneapolis, immediately liked them better than my HD600 after listening to them both side by side on my Gustard stack (X12/H10). I will stand by that judgement call to this day, but after more listening on a few more different systems I would not be so quick to assume everyone else would come to the same conclusion. The HD600 and especially HD650 have a richer more full bodied sound and IMHO more cohesive and balanced across the range for a wider variety of music. If you share my love for the Audio-Technica house sound however, and sometimes feel like the Senns can be too smooth at times, then yes, the R70x is a real contender. First, it has a little more magic with my favorite vocals, mostly female, but a better midrange in general most of the time (but not all the time). If find that brass has a little more realistic bite without getting harsh, and as others have mentioned I think it delivers a faster and better delineated (more instrument separation) presentation. Bass is not as deep, and has a little less punch, but I think it has better texture and definition and thus more enjoyable for me. I ordered a balanced cable from Surf and plugged them into my Cavalli Liquid Carbon v2 and was completely blown away. I am not sure how I feel about balanced anything, but in this particular case the synergy was there, bringing the whole signal chain together in a fantastic way.

Downside? Sure, I think the imaging is not as wide as it could/should be, and can at times get a bit congested sounding when the going gets tough. Depending on recording, the bass can drift into a bit of a wooly direction, losing some clarity around the edges. Treble is to my liking, but not as consistent and extended as it could be, and a little rolled off in general (which to me is correct, I am an AQ Nighthawk fan so I think most phones are bright by default).

My real reason for keeping them while others have come and gone however boils down to weight and comfort. When I want to just do some casual listening and not worry about my ears getting hot, my head feeling pressurized or my neck feeling burdened, these are my go to "relaxation" headphones. Not to take away from what I feel is great performance for the buck, but at the end of the day it is more physical than musical merits for me. I listened today on my latest system setup Emotiva DC-1 DAC (waiting to get my Matrix X-Sabre Pro serviced) feeding Cavalli Liquid Crimson (Carbon was a gateway drug, my wallet is still crying). A bit overkill for this headphone, but at least I feel like I am pushing it well beyond it's full capabilities. I do think it needs a good kick to come alive, even if you are experiencing good volume you are probably missing out just a bit on the added grip and control a strong desktop amp can give it.

I am getting to the point of sending these back out into the world as my needs have changed, but before I do I wanted to stop in here and pay my respects. I think this is a great headphone. Compared to AQ NightHawk, bass is not as deep but the upper bass and lower mids feel a bit better defined. Top end is very similar and of course the voicing is different. I think the AQ are more honest and consistent though they don't sound as "flat" as the R70x can sound on some music. Ditto the Beyer DT1990, better bass and even a smidge more resolution across the board than both the AQ and AT. If I wanted something to do double duty, both casual listening and some headphones for a home studio or serious musician, the R70x is a great starting point but the DT 1990 does bring you up to another level (at twice the price).

For the last year my game plan has been R70x for fun, DT1990 for bigger punch, extension and dynamics when I am in the mood, and something close to end game TBD for me as the personal flagship. Well, I just got lucky and picked up a new HD800S, and it is so comfortable that the R70x is just not going to get the head time it deserves. As I was mostly swimming around at the mid-fi level (hope that doesn't sound pompous) for many years now, I really wish I had spent that time with the R70x instead of the many others I had come through my house, but they just didn't exist back then. Yes, it is not the best studio tool, and it is not really all that influenced by the AT house sound, but it is there... but if you value definition and speed and a little bit of that airy sound AT vocal presentation these are a real gem. I have recently switched to Martin Logan ESL (the entry model) for my small living room, and I think the voicing between those and the R70x is actually very similar. Small, light, quick, and a dangerously charming voice. What's not to like? If you want more extension and resolution without giving up any of those strengths, you are going to have to really cough up a lot more bucks.

This is an awesome review. Thank you. I'm coming from a HD800S and recently ordered the R70x as a second pair of cans to 'relax' things down a bit for my more analytical gear. Looks like you've gone the other way round. It should arrive any day now and will share my thoughts soon.

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #1,273 of 2,669
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I get the physical comfort I am looking for with HD800S but the R70x definitely feels lighter on the head and perhaps some of the alternative pads mentioned here would take the comfort up further and even past the HD800S. The king of imaging (though maybe that is still the original HD800) can still sound a little bit thin or sterile at times and I will definitely keep some alternatives to that sound to some degree. For me that is the DT1990 and then possibly an Elear or planar magnetic in the future. I have the EL-8 Open but have my eye on the growing group of higher end planars from the usual suspects. The AudioQuest Nighthawk is still the champ of relaxed voicing and long term listening for me, but I like the comfort and more present treble of the DT1990, it is the first Beyer I have ever tried that did not give me treble fatigue.

I used to keep the Mass Drop / AKG K7XX around as my son wears glasses and found them very comfortable and I like how they just fit and felt different from most other headphones, and they are also fairly light, but I think the R70x is a better headphone in every way other than the imaging, which to me is not a big deal because I find the imaging to be a little artificial sounding and most like driven by the unique frequency response of the AKG 7 series overall. I am obviously a big fan of the R70x, but I will say it is a tough transition going back and forth with the HD800S as the differences are so stark, but you get a really nice alternative voicing in the midrange and significantly relaxed high frequencies so your ears will be thankful even if your brain complains about the massive step down in overall resolution.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #1,274 of 2,669
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I get the physical comfort I am looking for with HD800S but the R70x definitely feels lighter on the head and perhaps some of the alternative pads mentioned here would take the comfort up further and even past the HD800S. The king of imaging (though maybe that is still the original HD800) can still sound a little bit thin or sterile at times and I will definitely keep some alternatives to that sound to some degree. For me that is the DT1990 and then possibly an Elear or planar magnetic in the future. I have the EL-8 Open but have my eye on the growing group of higher end planars from the usual suspects. The AudioQuest Nighthawk is still the champ of relaxed voicing and long term listening for me, but I like the comfort and more present treble of the DT1990, it is the first Beyer I have ever tried that did not give me treble fatigue.

I used to keep the Mass Drop / AKG K7XX around as my son wears glasses and found them very comfortable and I like how they just fit and felt different from most other headphones, and they are also fairly light, but I think the R70x is a better headphone in every way other than the imaging, which to me is not a big deal because I find the imaging to be a little artificial sounding and most like driven by the unique frequency response of the AKG 7 series overall. I am obviously a big fan of the R70x, but I will say it is a tough transition going back and forth with the HD800S as the differences are so stark, but you get a really nice alternative voicing in the midrange and significantly relaxed high frequencies so your ears will be thankful even if your brain complains about the massive step down in overall resolution.

Well I'm prepared for a step down in resolution in favour of a more relaxing listen, as long as it's not to the extend of being muddy. Based on all I've read, I thought HD650 would be the obvious choice, and nearly pulled the trigger, but thought I should at least give it a listen at the store. Turned out it wasn't quite my cup of tea and actually found the cheaper HD600 more likeable. Perhaps it has that cleaner signature like the HD800S. That's when the sales guys suggested the r70x. I loved the sound at first listen. It's clean and soothing. A quick A/B confirmed that the HD800S is brighter or as you say thinner sounding, which is a good thing given what I'm after. The r70x is less detailed of course but my hope now is that using it on my revealing set-up will compensate for that. I'll know soon!

By the way I was eyeing the Elear too but more because it's lively. But it would probably be a bad match for highly analytical gear.

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #1,275 of 2,669
Received the R70x for a few days now and refrained from describing it until I spent a good amount of time listening to it.

After going through my collection of music, I can say this is a pair of seriously underrated headphones. Clarity is good. Vocals are gorgeous and full bodied. Mids has just the right amount of richness and bass is hefty. It's just what I hoped it would be to pair with my analytical set-up. In fact, it imparts a very organic, analog-like quality to my digital system, one I've only heard from my turntable set-up. It's like I'm listening to vinyl.

I know amps for the R70x has been discussed thoroughly in earlier posts. I'll just mention that I find my iCAN SE doing a great job, but what I like most is the 3D effect. It opens up the R70x's already nice soundstage, allowing me to hear more micro details, musical layers and nuances. And bass texture is also much more evident with the effect turned on. Not everyone is in favour of such effects, but to me it shows what the R70x's really capable of.

Just a final word on soundstage. This cans is the first I heard that has one so up front that it puts me practically inside the soundstage. It's quite an enjoyable experience, but to suit my preference, I apply Roon's crossed effect to move the stage slightly in front of me.

What a pair of cans. And to think I've never heard about it until a couple of weeks ago. A very happy discovery.

UPDATE: I turned down the gain of the iCAN SE and OMG, the noise (didn't realise until it's gone) disappeared, black space appeared and the micro details became jaw droppingly apparent. The whole soundstage is wide, open with clear and defined separation. NO NEED FOR ANY 3D EFFECT! The R70x clearly performs better at low gain, as long as the amp has sufficient voltage to match its impedance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back