Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones
Jan 21, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #121 of 304
  Just want to know is it ok, if I purchase ATH-W5000 and use it with FiiO X3 player (no additional amp). Does W5000 require a lot of power to drive?

I listen to 70% vocal, 30% jazz.

Thanks for any input

They tend to be picky with amps, but the only way to know here is to try. Fiio X3 have a decent headphone output, 

Have you considered another headphone for your portable setup? 

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #122 of 304

They tend to be picky with amps, but the only way to know here is to try. Fiio X3 have a decent headphone output, 

Have you considered another headphone for your portable setup? 

If not W5000, I will keep using my ATH-W1000X. The reason why I interest in W5000 is many people said that it very good for female voice and that what I want.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyhow, I'm a lazy guy. Just need one phone and one player to walk around. Never want to use neither portable nor desktop amp.

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #123 of 304
May be I keep on using my W1000X, it's already good for Alison Krauss, Celtic Woman, Eva Cassidy, etc.

But if W5000 is an improvement, I do need it.
duggehsmile.png

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #125 of 304
They're big, somewhat heavy, and not that secure on your head (they can slip off). They are home headphones.

And man now that I'm finally listening to my T5p with orchestral recordings it's starting to really kick the W5000 where it hurts...

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #126 of 304
I agree they are really meant for home use since the cable is quite long on them but, as for the weight, I don't see it being an issue.  I feel like they're one of the lighter over the ear headphones out there.  Compared to the HE-500 they're super light.  I would say on par with the HD-650 in terms of weight.  I actually have both the x3 and w5000 but I've never tried using them together but, I'll let you know once I try...I just need to buy an adapter to fit it to the x3.  

I'm using the w5000 right now as my work set up with a creek audio amp and audio engine dac and it sounds pretty good.

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #128 of 304
  I agree they are really meant for home use since the cable is quite long on them but, as for the weight, I don't see it being an issue.  I feel like they're one of the lighter over the ear headphones out there.  Compared to the HE-500 they're super light.  I would say on par with the HD-650 in terms of weight.  I actually have both the x3 and w5000 but I've never tried using them together but, I'll let you know once I try...I just need to buy an adapter to fit it to the x3.  

I'm using the w5000 right now as my work set up with a creek audio amp and audio engine dac and it sounds pretty good.

LOL, I am not bold enough to bring them to work, and using them in a portable setup is totally out of question, plus 3d wings make my hair look fancy. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #129 of 304

When you can find adapter to 3.5 mm. Please kindly let me know the result of X3 + W5000. I almost pull the trigger to order it from amazon.

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #130 of 304
  When you can find adapter to 3.5 mm. Please kindly let me know the result of X3 + W5000. I almost pull the trigger to order it from amazon.

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

I used to have W5000. Tried with a few amps, DACs and cables - they were not to my taste, tiring after short listen, lacked bass. I sold them. You can get better headphones at the price nowadays. So unless you like W5000's presentation of vocals very very much and you listen at moderately low volumes, I would go for another headphone.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #131 of 304
  I used to have W5000. Tried with a few amps, DACs and cables - they were not to my taste, tiring after short listen, lacked bass. I sold them. You can get better headphones at the price nowadays. So unless you like W5000's presentation of vocals very very much and you listen at moderately low volumes, I would go for another headphone.

Thanks, I listen to female vocal mostly. If you can recommend any phone that has sweet mid, details in high (but not harsh), I'm very appreciate. price range from 300$ to 800$

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #135 of 304

Fit and amping are two things that are finicky and hard to get right with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back