Audio Technica/Sony IEMs for J-POP/Anime music.
Jul 30, 2023 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Art3misxo

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone! Looking for a new pair of iems for j-pop and anime music. I am only specifically asking about Audio Technica and Sony because i own alot of others and am just curious as there arent many j-pop specific reviews for these 2 brands.

I like my iems to be vocal forward and bright. Mostly female vocals but i need something good for both male/female. I dont want the vocals to be the only thing though. I would like the vocals to be forward but still have the rest of the band or instruments picking up the sound. I'm fairly new to IEM's so just wanted to hear your thoughts and reccomendations for these two brands specifically. Budget is anything less than 1500 USD.

Here is my playlist if it helps:

Jul 30, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 10
Nice playlist (Check my location)! I'm more of an anime or video game OST fan.

I'm no IEM expert, nor have I heard any TOTL IEMs, so keep that in mind. Honestly, I feel keen to reply just because of your playlist. Looking at Audio-Technica, they only have one wired IEM that is even close to your budget. Even with that, there are no popular Audio-Technica IEMs discussed or reviewed here. About Sony, they have the notorious IER-Z1R and also the IER-M7/9, but none of them have the vocal forwardness and bright profile you want. But that is something EQ can fix if you so desire. Based on your ideal sound profile, a "weeb" tuning comes to mind. Brighter IEMs can be found in brands like Moondrop or QDC, but that is something you aren't looking for. Feel free to use the Head-Fi library of subjective reviews for IEMs like the IER-Z1R. And if you do EQ them, note that some notable characteristics may disappear. For example, the Z1Rs are known to have bombastic bass.

As for Head-Fi users and reviewers who listen to J-Pop, all that comes to mind is RikuodouGoku and AmericanSpirit. Super Review on YouTube enjoys a brighter sound signature. Some IEM reviewers who like K-Pop include Precogvision and Crinacle. IEMs adhering to the IEF Neutral target may also be something you want to look into.

Jul 31, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 10
Nice playlist (Check my location)! I'm more of an anime or video game OST fan.

I'm no IEM expert, nor have I heard any TOTL IEMs, so keep that in mind. Honestly, I feel keen to reply just because of your playlist. Looking at Audio-Technica, they only have one wired IEM that is even close to your budget. Even with that, there are no popular Audio-Technica IEMs discussed or reviewed here. About Sony, they have the notorious IER-Z1R and also the IER-M7/9, but none of them have the vocal forwardness and bright profile you want. But that is something EQ can fix if you so desire. Based on your ideal sound profile, a "weeb" tuning comes to mind. Brighter IEMs can be found in brands like Moondrop or QDC, but that is something you aren't looking for. Feel free to use the Head-Fi library of subjective reviews for IEMs like the IER-Z1R. And if you do EQ them, note that some notable characteristics may disappear. For example, the Z1Rs are known to have bombastic bass.

As for Head-Fi users and reviewers who listen to J-Pop, all that comes to mind is RikuodouGoku and AmericanSpirit. Super Review on YouTube enjoys a brighter sound signature. Some IEM reviewers who like K-Pop include Precogvision and Crinacle. IEMs adhering to the IEF Neutral target may also be something you want to look into.
Thanks for the suggestion! Also i have demo'ed the sony z1rs but they are SOOO UNCOMFORTABLE. I cant wear them for more than like 30 mins. I have checked out rikoudougoku. He has alot of picks that i like. American spirit i havent heard of so i'll check thier profile out. For reviews iusually watch timmy from gizaudio, HBB or crinacle. But i'll take ur suggestion and check out the other guys you mentioned. Again thank you for the help!

Jul 31, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 10
How about the Audio Technica LS200iS, or above?

When I bought my Etymotics years ago, the ER4XR and LS200iS were my final two picks. I went with the ER because of the better isolation but I didn’t forget the sound of the LS.

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #6 of 10
How about the Audio Technica LS200iS, or above?

When I bought my Etymotics years ago, the ER4XR and LS200iS were my final two picks. I went with the ER because of the better isolation but I didn’t forget the sound of the LS.
I am looking at audio technica as stated in my post. Btw wdym by ls200iS or above? Likethe higher end models of that series? Anyways im also looking at Fiio fd5s cause i saw it in @RikudouGoku list. And his music taste is kinda similar to mine like with reoNa (the GOAT) and the legendary sawano hiroyuki

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 10
I am looking at audio technica as stated in my post. Btw wdym by ls200iS or above? Likethe higher end models of that series? Anyways im also looking at Fiio fd5s cause i saw it in @RikudouGoku list. And his music taste is kinda similar to mine like with reoNa (the GOAT) and the legendary sawano hiroyuki
Yeah, I meant the 200, or the higher end models after that. I think the numbering system goes like LS200, 300 and 400.

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #8 of 10
Sorry if I led you to believe that similar libraries would lead to you liking the exact same IEMs. Truthfully, that is not always case. It is the case if you want to accentuate the standout features in the music, but some people would rather tame it (this is one example where subjectivity comes into play). We have people like Aminus who enjoy the HD600 with classical music, while someone else may enjoy it with classic rock. Super*Review will not recommend an IEM if all you provide him with is a music genre. What I am saying is that people might tell you (if you have the time and passion) to check out other reviews, learn more about graphs, and overall learn about IEMs.

Rikuodou's ideal IEM target is posted in Squiglink, a database of IEM graphs. You can type in https://squig.link to reach it.

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 10
Anyways im also looking at Fiio fd5s cause i saw it in @RikudouGoku list. And his music taste is kinda similar to mine like with reoNa (the GOAT) and the legendary sawano hiroyuki
Hey, I dont think the FD5 is really that viable nowadays. Power creep happened during the year I didnt try anything new and you can get really good stuff at the 100-200 usd range now.

Simgot EA500 for example is one really good and much cheaper iem.

Jul 31, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 10
Hey, I dont think the FD5 is really that viable nowadays. Power creep happened during the year I didnt try anything new and you can get really good stuff at the 100-200 usd range now.

Simgot EA500 for example is one really good and much cheaper iem.
If it isnt the man himself! Thanks for the heads up i was intruiged by fiio cause ive heard good things about their iems alot. And yeah i would prefer something thats cheaper. I just set the budget high so i could have a RANGE of iems to demo and use. There are a few stores near me in kuala lumpur (a bit away but close enough) so i demo alot when i have the time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back