AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 30, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #6,661 of 10,196
  I apologize in advance as I'm sure that this has been covered before, yet I've been away from this site for a while and thought I've been looking I've yet to find the info I need.

I'm trying to find an online store to buy the AudioQuest Protein Leather Pads for my NightHawks. I've used the http://www.audioquest.com/dealer-locator/ but haven't found one yet that has them in stock. Is there a secret password needed that I'm not aware of or are they simply not available right now?  

Thanks! 

You might be able to email Audioquest and buy direct from them

info@audioquest.com

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #6,662 of 10,196
I'll give it a try, I'd checked their website and didn't see "Pads" listed anywhere but it's worth a shot.
Thanks so much! 

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #6,663 of 10,196

Again, so sorry for not being clear originally (totally my bad) - my experience was with the X5 as source. Tried it via line in and also....coax? Not 100% sure, but tried it with X5 as DAC and iDSD as DAC - didn't hear much difference (so perhaps didn't really use the DAC of the iDSD)

I was able to try the Mojo with the X5 but it really didn't deliver at all....I suspect it was not set up properly since it was a bit of a rush as I was leaving the store having sadly decided I couldn't spring for the iDSD - then saw the Mojo and grabbed it for a try.

So yes, my life-changing experience was X5 into iDSD (as amp) and then Nighthawks. I agree that the price of the unit is fine, considering the incredible quality of audio. And it's not like I don't have the money, I just can't justify it as a gift to myself (coming in the same 12 month period as purchases of Nighthawks, LZA4s and a GTX 1070 graphics card!!!)

Well if you are using the X5 as the source, arent the filters DAC dependent? It means that the rest of the features that you need would be available on the iCan.... That should probably be the next test that you do to verify ur thoughts.

Oh that's fantastic news - did not know the filters only affected onboard DAC output. In that case, the iCan may well be exactly the right match.
I don't think I can audition it (I was VERY surprised to see the iDSD on show)....might have to just go ahead and purchase and hope for the best.
Thanks for that key bit of info! Super helpful!!!

Hmm...thought I'd posted this....perhaps the internet is messing me up. Anyway - just ordered the iCan Micro. Super excited!!

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #6,664 of 10,196

Again, so sorry for not being clear originally (totally my bad) - my experience was with the X5 as source. Tried it via line in and also....coax? Not 100% sure, but tried it with X5 as DAC and iDSD as DAC - didn't hear much difference (so perhaps didn't really use the DAC of the iDSD)

I was able to try the Mojo with the X5 but it really didn't deliver at all....I suspect it was not set up properly since it was a bit of a rush as I was leaving the store having sadly decided I couldn't spring for the iDSD - then saw the Mojo and grabbed it for a try.

So yes, my life-changing experience was X5 into iDSD (as amp) and then Nighthawks. I agree that the price of the unit is fine, considering the incredible quality of audio. And it's not like I don't have the money, I just can't justify it as a gift to myself (coming in the same 12 month period as purchases of Nighthawks, LZA4s and a GTX 1070 graphics card!!!)

Well if you are using the X5 as the source, arent the filters DAC dependent? It means that the rest of the features that you need would be available on the iCan.... That should probably be the next test that you do to verify ur thoughts.

Oh that's fantastic news - did not know the filters only affected onboard DAC output. In that case, the iCan may well be exactly the right match.
I don't think I can audition it (I was VERY surprised to see the iDSD on show)....might have to just go ahead and purchase and hope for the best.
Thanks for that key bit of info! Super helpful!!!

Hmm...thought I'd posted this....perhaps the internet is messing me up. Anyway - just ordered the iCan Micro. Super excited!!

Amazon trial, don't like it, return it. Usually only pay shipping, unless it's defective

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #6,665 of 10,196
Amazon trial, don't like it, return it. Usually only pay shipping, unless it's defective

The OP, misteral201103, is located in Shanghai China and likely does not have the 30 day trial from Amazon available. 
blink.gif

I was thinking of the same suggestion, Amazon or perhaps Music Direct, then noticed his location.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #6,666 of 10,196
Oooohhhh.....ya i didn't notice that......well so much for that.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #6,667 of 10,196

The OP, misteral201103, is located in Shanghai China and likely does not have the 30 day trial from Amazon available. 
blink.gif

I was thinking of the same suggestion, Amazon or perhaps Music Direct, then noticed his location.

Yeah, absolutely right. Options for testing in-store and returning purchases are very limited. That's why I was so delighted that my favourite audio place had both the iDSD and the Mojo available for demo!

Feeling very slightly (really only a little bit) nervous in case the iCan doesn't live up to my experience of the iDSD but about 85% confident it will. Should arrive in a couple of days and I'll report back. Again, I'd say to any Nighthawk owners running on a tight-ish budget, it's really worth taking them out into the world and trying them on every bit of gear you can, just in case you're not getting the most from them. Having spent the day listening to some very nice upper-range headphones, this experience made me even more sure than ever that the 'hawks were the ones for me!

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #6,668 of 10,196

blink.gif

Yeah, absolutely right. Options for testing in-store and returning purchases are very limited. That's why I was so delighted that my favourite audio place had both the iDSD and the Mojo available for demo!

Feeling very slightly (really only a little bit) nervous in case the iCan doesn't live up to my experience of the iDSD but about 85% confident it will. Should arrive in a couple of days and I'll report back. Again, I'd say to any Nighthawk owners running on a tight-ish budget, it's really worth taking them out into the world and trying them on every bit of gear you can, just in case you're not getting the most from them. Having spent the day listening to some very nice upper-range headphones, this experience made me even more sure than ever that the 'hawks were the ones for me!

Wish I had an audio enthusiast place here in Madison WI. All I can test out is piece of junk Beats, Skull Candy and Bose.

So a user PM'd me about opening up the soundstage on these by removing the diffuser paper behind the drivers. Does anyone have experience with this? What are the pro's con's here. I'd be more than happy to try it but being as there's an adhesive holding them on I don't want to tear them off then having them utterly destroy the sound somewhere.

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #6,669 of 10,196

Wish I had an audio enthusiast place here in Madison WI. All I can test out is piece of junk Beats, Skull Candy and Bose.

So a user PM'd me about opening up the soundstage on these by removing the diffuser paper behind the drivers. Does anyone have experience with this? What are the pro's con's here. I'd be more than happy to try it but being as there's an adhesive holding them on I don't want to tear them off then having them utterly destroy the sound somewhere.

I grew up in Madison... have you not tried Paragon?

I've bought a number of my tubes from the owner and it's a very well-stocked shop.

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #6,670 of 10,196

I grew up in Madison... have you not tried Paragon?

I've bought a number of my tubes from the owner and it's a very well-stocked shop.

Never bothered with him, dunno when you were last around but the guys got a really bad reputation for being a dick head and telling people their stuff is junk and pushes them into the stuff he's selling. The vinyl shop across the street won't even deal with the guy to have turntables etc fixed.

Was thinking about trying to have him restore my pioneer 9500 mark II but ended up taking it to the shop i know in Rockford instead.

Maybe I'll wander in there one of these days just to look.

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #6,671 of 10,196
Never bothered with him, dunno when you were last around but the guys got a really bad reputation for being a dick head and telling people their stuff is junk and pushes them into the stuff he's selling. The vinyl shop across the street won't even deal with the guy to have turntables etc fixed.

I was last there a couple of years ago, to pick up some tubes (he has an insane collection of glass in the back store room). I though he was pretty nice, to be honest, but he does try to push you into stuff he's selling (like, I don't know, every audio salesman I've ever met
rolleyes.gif
 ). He's in business to make money, no doubt.

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #6,672 of 10,196
Well, after being curious about them and thinking about it since late last year I've finally purchased a lightly used original Nighthawk through an Ebay seller.  I offered him $320 and he accepted so I feel pretty good about them for that price based on what I have heard and read about them.  Hopefully they will be arriving by Wednesday or so and I am excited to hear them.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #6,673 of 10,196
  Well, after being curious about them and thinking about it since late last year I've finally purchased a lightly used original Nighthawk through an Ebay seller.  I offered him $320 and he accepted so I feel pretty good about them for that price based on what I have heard and read about them.  Hopefully they will be arriving by Wednesday or so and I am excited to hear them.

Just to say it from everyone that told me, they've got a unique sound signature, stick with them for a few days and let your ears adjust to them.

Apr 3, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #6,674 of 10,196
iCan Micro + Nighthawks

Well, the micro arrived in very good time and I've had a good chance to play around with it. Works well with either no gain or lowest gain. Not sure which I prefer yet...

Having opted for this as opposed to the iDSD Micro (which I demoed) in order to save some money, I am not at all disappointed.
What this brings to the 'hawks that the Little Dot (and the Cayin C5) do not is a greatly improved high frequency clarity. I was content to listen to the Nighthawks without this until I heard them with. I now have the same kind of treble definition that I get with the LZA4 iems (black front filter) but with no hint of fatigue or sharpness. This is enhanced slightly with the 3D switch engaged at full effect, which obviously also improves the soundstage, both width and depth.

The 3D suits most genres, but there are some recordings where it makes the lead vocals a little too low in the mix. Easily fixed by changing to the lower setting or turning off altogether - I'm still getting a more precise sound than with my other options.

Listening to Carmina Burana (Orff recording, first track, the 'devil' music that everyone knows) is truly a revelation. Suddenly there are two groups of voices, with sopranos on the left side and lower registers on the right. I had NEVER been aware of this and I've listened to that recording many times. Also, I had previously thought there was some distortion on the higher voices. What I can now very clearly hear is that there is a brass section playing the same notes that the choristers are singing. All of this with all the aspects that made me fall in love with the 'hawks in the first place.

That whole thing about 'a particular signature that you get used to' with the Nighthawks is basically gone - the 'getting used to' part. Because they are really kicked up a couple of notches with this improvement in signal. I am in love all over again.

I'm done for gear for a bit now - no, really, I think I've pushed my wife to her limit until I figure out a way to make more money! When I AM making more money, I will investigate other amp choices but for now I am a very very happy listener. Imaging, size of soundstage, treble definition - all noticeably improved and still with that gorgeous musicality and comfort that the Nighthawks supply. Chuffed!!!

Apr 3, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #6,675 of 10,196
  iCan Micro + Nighthawks

Well, the micro arrived in very good time and I've had a good chance to play around with it. Works well with either no gain or lowest gain. Not sure which I prefer yet...

Having opted for this as opposed to the iDSD Micro (which I demoed) in order to save some money, I am not at all disappointed.
What this brings to the 'hawks that the Little Dot (and the Cayin C5) do not is a greatly improved high frequency clarity. I was content to listen to the Nighthawks without this until I heard them with. I now have the same kind of treble definition that I get with the LZA4 iems (black front filter) but with no hint of fatigue or sharpness. This is enhanced slightly with the 3D switch engaged at full effect, which obviously also improves the soundstage, both width and depth.

The 3D suits most genres, but there are some recordings where it makes the lead vocals a little too low in the mix. Easily fixed by changing to the lower setting or turning off altogether - I'm still getting a more precise sound than with my other options.

Listening to Carmina Burana (Orff recording, first track, the 'devil' music that everyone knows) is truly a revelation. Suddenly there are two groups of voices, with sopranos on the left side and lower registers on the right. I had NEVER been aware of this and I've listened to that recording many times. Also, I had previously thought there was some distortion on the higher voices. What I can now very clearly hear is that there is a brass section playing the same notes that the choristers are singing. All of this with all the aspects that made me fall in love with the 'hawks in the first place.

That whole thing about 'a particular signature that you get used to' with the Nighthawks is basically gone - the 'getting used to' part. Because they are really kicked up a couple of notches with this improvement in signal. I am in love all over again.

I'm done for gear for a bit now - no, really, I think I've pushed my wife to her limit until I figure out a way to make more money! When I AM making more money, I will investigate other amp choices but for now I am a very very happy listener. Imaging, size of soundstage, treble definition - all noticeably improved and still with that gorgeous musicality and comfort that the Nighthawks supply. Chuffed!!!

I wonder if you are using xbass or 3d with the NH on the ican. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back