Aune S17 pro
Mar 8, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #1,711 of 2,360
Hello,

I'm new in this thread although I've got Aune S17Pro for months and liked it a lot.
I wonder if anybody has knowledge of Aune's power consumption with e.g 1/10, 1/2 and max power output in 50 mw(AB) and 100mw(A) states?
I remember a comment that Aune uses quite a lot of power in A state but haven't seen any actual numbers.
The only thing that I could find on Aune's page about this amp it's that it has a 50w PSU, so in theory, when you have it at 100ma at high gain, you're probably consuming about as much, I think I read somewhere in this thread that this amp consume about 35w, but I'm not sure, maybe this is a question that @AuneAudio representative can answer.

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #1,712 of 2,360
The only thing that I could find on Aune's page about this amp it's that it has a 50w PSU, so in theory, when you have it at 100ma at high gain, you're probably consuming about as much, I think I read somewhere in this thread that this amp consume about 35w, but I'm not sure, maybe this is a question that @AuneAudio representative can answer.
Thanks! Propably the 50 watt max is correct. Quite modest, if so it is, for A class 7.5 w max output i guess. I hope I could drive the very power hungry Raal Ca-1a headphones with Aune. We'll see.

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #1,713 of 2,360
Thanks! Propably the 50 watt max is correct. Quite modest, if so it is, for A class 7.5 w max output i guess. I hope I could drive the very power hungry Raal Ca-1a headphones with Aune. We'll see.
You should definitively check with Aune if it's safe to use this kind of ribbon headphones with this amp for sure, I know this HP comes with it's own transformer box and full kit to connect it properly to any headphone amp with a 4-pin xlr HP output, but better be safe than sorry.

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #1,714 of 2,360
My rec is
sell the arya
grab hek stealth and
LCD-X as they compliment each other nicely.
Thanks, I appreciate the response. And that's certainly not unreasonable advice and it's occurred to me as well but the problem with that is I just don't sell things (mostly because I'm ridiculously lazy but other reasons as well, including that I don't even know the procedures to securely arrange payment for a deal with strangers; I realize that probably sounds silly to most of you, but I freely acknowledge that I'm odd). And without selling stuff (I have other headphones, amps and DACs I rarely or never use) I can't afford both the LCD-X and the HEK Stealth any time soon--I'm retired on a fixed income and I can buy the LCD-X later this month after saving since December (but I wouldn't be able to buy the HEK Stealth instead, which is $200 more, until mid-April). After one of these two in the spring, my next major purchase wouldn't be possible until late summer or, more likely, the fall. And since the Arya Stealth (which I remain pretty happy with) appears (like all the Hifiman egg shaped cans) to have a lot in common with the HEK Stealth, albeit with somewhat lesser technicalities, it sounds like you'd agree that the LCD-X would be a good complement to it as well.

In any case, I'm sort of thinking that my next purchase (probably in the fall) is an unusual one: the R9, FiiO's new Swiss army knife DAC/amp/streamer, which would replace the FiiO Q7 in my bedside setup. I have absolutely no real need for the R9 (though it would be more convenient to use than the Q7 and have several solid upgrades) and it's $1500 USD, but somehow I just want it. I bet everyone here knows how that feels.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #1,715 of 2,360
You should definitively check with Aune if it's safe to use this kind of ribbon headphones with this amp for sure, I know this HP comes with it's own transformer box and full kit to connect it properly to any headphone amp with a 4-pin xlr HP output, but better be safe than sorry.
It's definitely so. I've got the transformer bought also, there are anyhoe a few amps that work directly with Raals.

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #1,716 of 2,360
Hello,

I'm new in this thread although I've got Aune S17Pro for months and liked it a lot.
I wonder if anybody has knowledge of Aune's power consumption with e.g 1/10, 1/2 and max power output in 50 mw(AB) and 100mw(A) states?
I remember a comment that Aune uses quite a lot of power in A state but haven't seen any actual numbers.
Welcome to the thread. :)

Starting cold (22 degrees), low gain, XLR input, no music playing, HE1000 Stealth headphones plugged into the 4.4mm socket, volume set to max and controlled by my DAC:

50ma mode - 24w reducing to 22w as it warms up
100ma mode - 34.4w reducing to 32.4w/0.168 amps/52 degrees after 55 minutes.

(Mine normally runs at 59 degrees all night with a short headphone cable but overheats with a long cable.)

No difference when playing music, unplugging the headphones or changing the gain to high.

BTW, 50ma mode is still class A, not AB.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #1,717 of 2,360
Welcome to the thread. :)

Starting cold (22 degrees), low gain, XLR input, no music playing, HE1000 Stealth headphones plugged into the 4.4mm socket, volume set to max and controlled by my DAC:

50ma mode - 24w reducing to 22w as it warms up
100ma mode - 34.4w reducing to 32.4w/0.168 amps/52 degrees after 55 minutes.

(Mine normally runs at 59 degrees all night with a short cable but overheats with a long cable.)

No difference when playing music, unplugging the headphones or changing the gain to high.

BTW, 50ma mode is still class A, not AB.
Thanks for your detailed answer. I remember reading somewhere that in 50 mw Aune works in AB state. I haven't any other information concerning this. If it works always in A state, thats fine. I don't find so big differences between 50mw and 100mw when listening. With higher volumes 100 mw sounds anyhow still more tubey imo.

Mar 8, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #1,718 of 2,360
Thanks, I appreciate the response. And that's certainly not unreasonable advice and it's occurred to me as well but the problem with that is I just don't sell things (mostly because I'm ridiculously lazy but other reasons as well, including that I don't even know the procedures to securely arrange payment for a deal with strangers; I realize that probably sounds silly to most of you, but I freely acknowledge that I'm odd). And without selling stuff (I have other headphones, amps and DACs I rarely or never use) I can't afford both the LCD-X and the HEK Stealth any time soon--I'm retired on a fixed income and I can buy the LCD-X later this month after saving since December (but I wouldn't be able to buy the HEK Stealth instead, which is $200 more, until mid-April). After one of these two in the spring, my next major purchase wouldn't be possible until late summer or, more likely, the fall. And since the Arya Stealth (which I remain pretty happy with) appears (like all the Hifiman egg shaped cans) to have a lot in common with the HEK Stealth, albeit with somewhat lesser technicalities, it sounds like you'd agree that the LCD-X would be a good complement to it as well.

In any case, I'm sort of thinking that my next purchase (probably in the fall) is an unusual one: the R9, FiiO's new Swiss army knife DAC/amp/streamer, which would replace the FiiO Q7 in my bedside setup. I have absolutely no real need for the R9 (though it would be more convenient to use than the Q7 and have several solid upgrades) and it's $1500 USD, but somehow I just want it. I bet everyone here knows how that feels.
Well thatts all quite understandable, I'd say between Paypal and Headfi Classifieds it's pretty safe and ive never been stiffed except once from Ebay and Ive ebeen sellinbg on there a decade.

That said- i totally understand. Might I suggest Facebook Marketplace ? then you could sell it to someone local and have cash in hand (an Old School sale you'd be more comfortable with)

Again, I get it. I myself am disabled/retired and on a fixed income myself; often saving for months to make a $1000 type purchase.

*I think you will be ecstatic with the LCD-X- and you'd be ecstatic with the HeK Stealths as well. What genres are your "mains"?

As a Fiio K9 owner I've looked at the R9 and it looks RAD. I would love one for my Xbox series x since it has the HDMI passthru. Would also been awesome for Movie/Tv.
A great piece of kit.

And , yeah, EVERYBODY here, and I do mean everybody, feigns for gear.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #1,719 of 2,360
Thanks for your detailed answer. I remember reading somewhere that in 50 mw Aune works in AB state. I haven't any other information concerning this. If it works always in A state, thats fine. I don't find so big differences between 50mw and 100mw when listening. With higher volumes 100 mw sounds anyhow still more tubey imo.
One, maybe two, of the respected reviewers said it was so and IIRC, Aune confirmed it earlier in this thread. Also the temperature suggests it is the case as AB runs cool when not doing anything whereas 50ma mode here is still warm.

There are definite differences in the sound between 50ma and 100ma modes and most agree that 100 does sound quite warm and tubey. I find 50ma mode a little bit more clean and detailed and sometimes prefer it but usually stick to 100ma.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #1,720 of 2,360
It's confusing and at least a couple of reviewers (and good ones IMO) stated that the 50mA/100mA modes toggled between Class A and Class AB. However, Aune clearly and flatly stated earlier in this thread that the S17 is always in Class A regardless of the current mode selected:
The S17 Pro is pure Class-A. Both 50mA mode and 100mA mode are class-A. There’s no Class-AB.

Mar 8, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #1,721 of 2,360
Well thatts all quite understandable, I'd say between Paypal and Headfi Classifieds it's pretty safe and ive never been stiffed except once from Ebay and Ive ebeen sellinbg on there a decade.

That said- i totally understand. Might I suggest Facebook Marketplace ? then you could sell it to someone local and have cash in hand (an Old School sale you'd be more comfortable with)

Again, I get it. I myself am disabled/retired and on a fixed income myself; often saving for months to make a $1000 type purchase.

*I think you will be ecstatic with the LCD-X- and you'd be ecstatic with the HeK Stealths as well. What genres are your "mains"?

As a Fiio K9 owner I've looked at the R9 and it looks RAD. I would love one for my Xbox series x since it has the HDMI passthru. Would also been awesome for Movie/Tv.
A great piece of kit.

And , yeah, EVERYBODY here, and I do mean everybody, feigns for gear.

I appreciate your kind reply. I listen to almost everything at some point with some exceptions--no hip hop, no EDM (not even sure what that is except it has a lot of sub-bass) and certainly no modern pop (by which I mean Taylor Swift, Beyonce, etc.). Primarily, I listen to all types of rock from the '50s to the present, a lot of folk, and even a fair amount of country (though not the Nashville pop variety, more the kind of stuff on which they've hung the dumb name of Americana--The Flying Burrito Brothers, Gram Parsons, Lucinda Williams, though some more traditional stuff like Willie Nelson and Emmy Lou Harris).

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #1,722 of 2,360
Hello,

Hi, thanks for liking the S17 Pro:)
Both 50mA mode and 100mA mode are class-A.

Power consumption:
50mA: around 25w
100mA: around 35w

aune For music we design. Stay updated on aune at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/auneaudioofficial https://twitter.com/auneaudio https://www.instagram.com/auneaudio http://www.auneaudio.com sales@auneaudio.com
Mar 9, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #1,723 of 2,360
I appreciate your kind reply. I listen to almost everything at some point with some exceptions--no hip hop, no EDM (not even sure what that is except it has a lot of sub-bass) and certainly no modern pop (by which I mean Taylor Swift, Beyonce, etc.). Primarily, I listen to all types of rock from the '50s to the present, a lot of folk, and even a fair amount of country (though not the Nashville pop variety, more the kind of stuff on which they've hung the dumb name of Americana--The Flying Burrito Brothers, Gram Parsons, Lucinda Williams, though some more traditional stuff like Willie Nelson and Emmy Lou Harris).
I have to say, with those genres I really think you'd prefer the He1000 as they are very detailed and melodic cans with a bit less of a bass emphasis than the LCD-X.
Food for thought. He1000 Stealths are truly a special set of headphones and are a fantastic deal when you consider they were released as $3000 headphones.
Now that's a lot higher than LCD-X or Arya, and a huge reason I took a look at them to begin with.
Haven't regretted it a bit.

Mar 9, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #1,724 of 2,360
I have to say, with those genres I really think you'd prefer the He1000 as they are very detailed and melodic cans with a bit less of a bass emphasis than the LCD-X.
Food for thought. He1000 Stealths are truly a special set of headphones and are a fantastic deal when you consider they were released as $3000 headphones.
Now that's a lot higher than LCD-X or Arya, and a huge reason I took a look at them to begin with.
Haven't regretted it a bit.
I think mostly same as you. I've got both Arya Stealth and He1000Stealth. Considering the new priceline of Hifimans I'll recommend He1000Stealth also. It's simply more TOTL headphone like although Arya Stealth is great too.
Both are very good all rounders. High frequencies are a bit crisp in Hifiman style. So tubey like Aune S17Pro is a Very good pairing with Hifimans imo.

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #1,725 of 2,360
I recently purchased the S17 Pro and I'm very pleased with it thus far.

Fantastic sounding headphone amp. Maybe the best I've ever owned.

I was pleasantly surprised by its performance as a pre-amp as well. I just sold my Schiit Freya N pre-amp because I thought the S17 sounded even more "tube-like" than the Freya, which is an actual tube pre-amp :wink:

My unit has never reached 69 degrees in 100 mA mode yet and the relay volume control has worked flawlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back