Aune X8 VIII anniversary edition
Oct 29, 2022 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 128

Ichos

Reviewer at hxosplus
Nov 6, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 128
I'm surprised it's so quiet here. I've had the X8 XVIII + Sparkos SS3602 for about 4 weeks.

I can confirm everything that has been said so far. Sounds absolutely fantastic. It's a great DAC. The build is also excellent.

I'll compare it against some R2R DAC soon. I'm not dissatisfied with it, but I'm curious.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 128
I'm surprised it's so quiet here. I've had the X8 XVIII + Sparkos SS3602 for about 4 weeks.

I can confirm everything that has been said so far. Sounds absolutely fantastic. It's a great DAC. The build is also excellent.

I'll compare it against some R2R DAC soon. I'm not dissatisfied with it, but I'm curious.

Hi rab900,

Did you just compare the Aune with a R2R dac? I'm planning to buy a new Dac for my Burson amp, and I think the combination between aune x8 + Sparkos SS3602 could be really good without spending too much

Regards

Dec 4, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 128

Sounds like a great deal anyone might want to jump on.

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 128
Hi rab900,

Did you just compare the Aune with a R2R dac? I'm planning to buy a new Dac for my Burson amp, and I think the combination between aune x8 + Sparkos SS3602 could be really good without spending too much

Regards
Yes, I now use a Musician Pegasus R2R DAC and the X8 has moved to the living room. The X8 sounds fantastic, but R2R is a whole different world. The Pegasus sounds very analog and smooth. The sound stage has gained in all directions, especially in depth. There is generally more space between the tones.
I no longer use the tubes of my ifi Pro iCAN. Sound becomes too muddy then. Maybe i'll switch to an other SS amp.

The X8 + Sparkos is a very good buy. It all depends on what you want to achieve. Your Burson should already play very smooth, so a R2R DAC could be too much.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 128
Yes, I now use a Musician Pegasus R2R DAC and the X8 has moved to the living room. The X8 sounds fantastic, but R2R is a whole different world. The Pegasus sounds very analog and smooth. The sound stage has gained in all directions, especially in depth. There is generally more space between the tones.
I no longer use the tubes of my ifi Pro iCAN. Sound becomes too muddy then. Maybe i'll switch to an other SS amp.

The X8 + Sparkos is a very good buy. It all depends on what you want to achieve. Your Burson should already play very smooth, so a R2R DAC could be too much.
Many thanks for your reply rab. my burson has some years now, but sounds amazing and moves everything (first Burson Conductor le).

I think I'll buy the Aune + Sparkos. I want something rich with good sound stage, but not too smooth (as you've said, burson sounds smooth, I like it a lot with my mdr-z1r, maybe a smooth dac would be too much).

And thanks a lot for doing your youtube reviews (I'm subscriber), they are top notch

Regards

Attachments

• 20221130_080454.jpg
    20221130_080454.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Dec 5, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #10 of 128
The Aune should be fine for you :)

This is not my YT channel btw :D

Dec 17, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #11 of 128
I just bought an Aune X8 recently. Mine came with JRC5532DD and OPA2134.
I like the JRC5532DD over the OPA2134.
I also bought a discrete opamp and really like it. The X8 was sitting vertically for now because the discrete opamp was sticking out about 12mm.

BTW do not drop the op amp cover screws into the slop slot. The screws could fall inside the DAC and a pain to shake it back out.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 128
I just bought an Aune X8 recently. Mine came with JRC5532DD and OPA2134.
I like the JRC5532DD over the OPA2134.
I also bought a discrete opamp and really like it. The X8 was sitting vertically for now because the discrete opamp was sticking out about 12mm.

BTW do not drop the op amp cover screws into the slop. The screws could fall inside the DAC and a pain to shake it back out.
Which discrete?
Sparkos or Burson?

Dec 17, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 128
I've received my aune x8bt xviii some days ago via amazon (hifilab is the shop that sells it), and sparkos ss3602 via audiophonics. the amp is a burson conductor. Premium presentation, very well built for 330 euros. With 5532dd it sounds as good as my su8. with burr brown 2134 sounds (for me) more musical than 5532dd. but with sparkos soundstage improves, everything is richer and airy. I think it surpasses one of my other dacs, topping d70s
I'm really really happy with the purchase
in two or three weeks I'll receive the aune xp2 lps. I'm a bit skeptical with that type of products, hope that the sound improves something

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 128
I've received my aune x8bt xviii some days ago via amazon (hifilab is the shop that sells it), and sparkos ss3602 via audiophonics. the amp is a burson conductor. Premium presentation, very well built for 330 euros. With 5532dd it sounds as good as my su8. with burr brown 2134 sounds (for me) more musical than 5532dd. but with sparkos soundstage improves, everything is richer and airy. I think it surpasses one of my other dacs, topping d70s
I'm really really happy with the purchase
in two or three weeks I'll receive the aune xp2 lps. I'm a bit skeptical with that type of products, hope that the sound improves something
Hear and then be a believer!
Let as know your impressions after you add the XP2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back