Awesome jazz mash-ups! Must see and hear!!!!
May 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLiZCi8EXMw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pMsKH8YsUU&feature=related

May 4, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 10
Those are awesome! Thanks for the videos LFF.

May 4, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 10
The first one sounds like background music from the animal channel the Fats Waller one was just dreadful. Why cut stuff up and make it worse than it was in one piece?

May 5, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #4 of 10
Had never seen the "Choppertone" before…I actually dig the Waller more than Coltrane, with the exception of that Casiotone brush sound keeping time. Folks interested in better examples of this kinda thing might try those Verve Remixed discs.

…there's also a kind of mashup of Coltrane on the Cuban percussionist Miguel "Angá" Diaz's disc Echu Mingua…runs it through muted trumpets and charanga

May 5, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Had never seen the "Choppertone" before…I actually dig the Waller more than Coltrane, with the exception of that Casiotone brush sound keeping time. Folks interested in better examples of this kinda thing might try those Verve Remixed discs.

…there's also a kind of mashup of Coltrane on the Cuban percussionist Miguel "Angá" Diaz's disc Echu Mingua…runs it through muted trumpets and charanga

Verve remixed discs are awesome as well but this guy is doing this live!

May 5, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 10
I can't remember ever being more angry than when I heard the Verve remixed version of Billie Holiday's Strange Fruit. It took a song that was haunting and poignant and turned it into, "hey look! This lady's got a weird voice. Let's loop it over a drum track!" totally disrespectful and wrong headed.

May 5, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
I can't remember ever being more angry than when I heard the Verve remixed version of Billie Holiday's Strange Fruit. It took a song that was haunting and poignant and turned it into, "hey look! This lady's got a weird voice. Let's loop it over a drum track!" totally disrespectful and wrong headed.

I actually agree with that but I wasn't angry as much as I was "well....they missed the point of that song!". LOL!

May 6, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 10
It's a pretty important song to miss the point of.

May 6, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
It's a pretty important song to miss the point of.

Indeed. A lot of people don't even know what the song is talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back