AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
Oct 5, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #91 of 695
Its nice to see there's actual consideration being put into this. Really hoping the final product is improved over these impressions!
However, with the headphones being a limited release, I do hope international buyers can get a chance to listen. I dont think this is going to be the same price as it was mentioned with the prototype a while ago.

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #92 of 695
These units are 5-8 weeks away from final. The preview samples was meant to establish the sound from a mechanical placement of the driver.
Great to hear. The CanJam show sample was broken on day 2. When I think of Grell I immediately associate that name with sound quality far exceeding its price point and build quality far outlasting its competition.

I'm hopeful for a product that delivers on the promise of the name associated.

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #93 of 695
Surprised to see DROP's employee dropping messages here tho. The issue that OAE-1 broke at day 2 is quite a bad news, and initial industrial design didn't spark confidence if I am honest. I am I inspired on sound but not the build. Don't wanna return my phone from east to west tho.

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #94 of 695
Surprised to see DROP's employee dropping messages here tho. The issue that OAE-1 broke at day 2 is quite a bad news, and initial industrial design didn't spark confidence if I am honest. I am I inspired on sound but not the build. Don't wanna return my phone from east to west tho.
Nice to see Drop messaging. A few hours ago I had little to no hope but as long as the build quality and more importantly the tuning is being addressed we’ll see how this turns out.

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #95 of 695
Nice to see Drop messaging. A few hours ago I had little to no hope but as long as the build quality and more importantly the tuning is being addressed we’ll see how this turns out.
Frankly I’m not sure there’s much that can be done about the tuning at this stage of production.

The core principles of this design (minimal occlusion/acoustic output impedance) means they’re purposely avoiding any major damping of the front volume except the direct front of the driver (felt strips placed directly on the grill in front of the driver).

Unfortunately this means they’ve built themselves into a corner somewhat, as the main parameters they have left are pads, driver placement, driver type, and baffle impedance.

I told them to try going for as thin a pad as possible, but it seems they haven’t really changed the acoustic design from the NYC sample aside from getting a properly manufactured baffle mesh with the correct impedance for their goals (I assume), and a front damping scheme somewhere in between the totally undamped and fully frontally-damped prototypes at CanJam NYC.

I was personally very disappointed with the sound of OAE1 at CanJam SoCal, and as of now I don’t really see much of a use for it without EQ, as HD 6XX sounds miles better.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Oct 10, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #98 of 695
IMG_4179.jpeg

Very interesting, und, thank you.

Oct 11, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #99 of 695
So this is what Grell is saying on their website about the tuning:
"Sound characteristic:
front oriented loudness diffuse field equalization"

Not entirely sure what "loudness" means in relation to diffuse field, but if it is a DF field, that tuning can be pretty bright. However, I think DF can sound really great and natural if enough of an EQ tilt is applied. I'm reasonably certain that the HD 600 series is based on the ISO 11904-2 diffuse field curve with a tilt applied. So yeah, I'm guessing if this headphone has as tight tolerances as they're boasting, you could probably make it sound just about right with simply an EQ tilt.
The loudness diffuse field means it is equalized by someone listening to them and tuning so that their responseand feel in anechoic chamber is the same as speakers in the same chamber. Here is an explanation from Sennheiser Screenshot_2023-10-11-12-59-22-817_cn.wps.moffice_eng.jpg

Oct 12, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #101 of 695
When’s the headphone actually out??
Unannounced but based on some of the information Drop has shared it’ll most likely be available for preorder late November and release around Christmas.

Oct 12, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #103 of 695
How much will it cost??
Also unannounced. Drop is keeping that information very secret so we won’t know until they’ve finalized the build and tuning. We’ll see something akin to a final product at CanJam Dallas and hopefully hear a price announcement there as well.

Oct 12, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #104 of 695
There are particulars on the improvements to the D+Grell OAE that will affect cost. We don’t want to compromise on the mechanical integrity and promise of the Signature OAE1. The limited run is only going to be sold to the. Head Fi community . CJam SoCal was a great place to get feedback on the mechanical positioning of the driver.

Oct 12, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #105 of 695
There are particulars on the improvements to the D+Grell OAE that will affect cost. We don’t want to compromise on the mechanical integrity and promise of the Signature OAE1. The limited run is only going to be sold to the. Head Fi community . CJam SoCal was a great place to get feedback on the mechanical positioning of the driver.
On your Drop Internet Page, I clicked on the “Request” option. Is that sufficient to be put on a list or do I need to do anything else ?
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back