Axpona 2022
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #16 of 32
This is my first Axpona but I've been to 2 RMAF events in Denver and numerous other shows in Southern California. They would always do request if possible. Some rooms might not be streaming though, and your music choices may be limited. Also, if they are really crowded or if some important reviewer walks in, they may not do it. They usually cater to them, and they get first choices of music. I once had Robert Harley walk in and sit right next to me. The first question out of the vendors mouth was what do you want to listen to.

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #17 of 32
I'm going for sure as I live in Chicago. I have been to every Axpona thus far. Bummed no ZMF this time. Was wanting to try the Atrium. Left with a used Aeolus last time. Guess I'll have to wait to hear it at Chicago CanJam. I do enjoy the listening rooms as well. Lots to hear and if you're an audio enthusiast and live in the area it's a no brainer event to attend.

Apr 18, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #18 of 32
Also living in Chicago, I've been a couple times. I can only go on Friday this year, but that's better than nothing! My weakness in the past has been that open exhibits area where all the headphone manufacturers are as well as the LPs and SACDs for sale.

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #19 of 32
1 day to go!!

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #20 of 32
I will be there mostly in the estelon room my buddy owns the local shop and is an msb and estelon dealer.

Apr 21, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #21 of 32
I'm a local so I'll be going. First time too! No idea what to expect, but if there's going to be a CanJam Chicago this year, I might opt to see more non-headphone exhibits this time around. Though I'm probably going to try and stop by the Meze and Audeze booths.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #22 of 32
Apr 22, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #23 of 32
I had to keep it short today, and missed out on listening to any headphones save for Shure's KSE1500 electrostatic in ears(!). They sound very good, at least on the track I heard. They didn't have a USB-C to micro-USB cable handy at their table, so I couldn't listen to anything from my Android phone. And I didn't think to bring a 1/8" cable. Anyway, they said Shure's the only manufacturer producing electrostatic ears. Oh, and searching for info on head-fi reveals they've been around for years.

On the speaker front, I heard an amazing system on the 2nd floor from Dynaudio (Confidence 60) speakers & Octave all-tube pre & power amps. I can't find the cost(s), but I have little doubt it's all out of my price range. The cables probably cost more than my whole system!

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #24 of 32
The headphone side was pretty stacked this time around! The Moon Audio, HeadAmp, and Upscale Audio booths both had some amazing stuff this time around. Finally got to listen to the Diana's, though admittedly they were not for me. Not the biggest fan of the tonality personally, but the comfort is there and I can see why people like it. Focal also had their entire HP lineup in their separate room too which was a nice treat. The Stellia's were a bit of a standout for me, definitely a step up from the Utopias. Focal is running a 20% off sale on all their HPs too, so it's a solid shot to pick up a discounted brand new set.

Standout for my at the show was the Ferrum Audio booth. They were demoing their OOR + HYPSOS and OOR + ERCO stacks and safe to say, the hype is true. They handled both IEMs and full sized headphones with ease. The sound was overall quite delicate and smooth, helping to level some of the harshness of tracks and even tamed the Utopia away from their peaky highs. No noise on super sensitive IEMs but still enough power to drive demanding planars. Sadly, they didn't have a demo of just the HYPSOS without the power supply—would've loved to listen to the difference between the amp alone and the combo.

Another highlight was the JH booth. They brought out most of their lineup (though only tabled 3—just ask for the rest) and showed their brand new, unreleased Sharona set. A 16BA flagship which adds a lot of air on top of the Layla, while keeping the bass and midrange. They are intending on releasing it on 5/2/22 and taking CIEM pre-orders at the show for $2399 (base) with additional cost for customizations. Definitely love the set and have one on the way after a mere 30 minutes, instantly fell in love.

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #25 of 32
I had to keep it short today, and missed out on listening to any headphones save for Shure's KSE1500 electrostatic in ears(!). They sound very good, at least on the track I heard. They didn't have a USB-C to micro-USB cable handy at their table, so I couldn't listen to anything from my Android phone. And I didn't think to bring a 1/8" cable. Anyway, they said Shure's the only manufacturer producing electrostatic ears. Oh, and searching for info on head-fi reveals they've been around for years.

On the speaker front, I heard an amazing system on the 2nd floor from Dynaudio (Confidence 60) speakers & Octave all-tube pre & power amps. I can't find the cost(s), but I have little doubt it's all out of my price range. The cables probably cost more than my whole system!
I need to go check out the room but if they are the big monos they are either the MRE220 for $20k a pair or jubilee and they are north of $40k a pair.

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #26 of 32
The headphone side was pretty stacked this time around! The Moon Audio, HeadAmp, and Upscale Audio booths both had some amazing stuff this time around. Finally got to listen to the Diana's, though admittedly they were not for me. Not the biggest fan of the tonality personally, but the comfort is there and I can see why people like it. Focal also had their entire HP lineup in their separate room too which was a nice treat. The Stellia's were a bit of a standout for me, definitely a step up from the Utopias. Focal is running a 20% off sale on all their HPs too, so it's a solid shot to pick up a discounted brand new set.

Standout for my at the show was the Ferrum Audio booth. They were demoing their OOR + HYPSOS and OOR + ERCO stacks and safe to say, the hype is true. They handled both IEMs and full sized headphones with ease. The sound was overall quite delicate and smooth, helping to level some of the harshness of tracks and even tamed the Utopia away from their peaky highs. No noise on super sensitive IEMs but still enough power to drive demanding planars. Sadly, they didn't have a demo of just the HYPSOS without the power supply—would've loved to listen to the difference between the amp alone and the combo.

Another highlight was the JH booth. They brought out most of their lineup (though only tabled 3—just ask for the rest) and showed their brand new, unreleased Sharona set. A 16BA flagship which adds a lot of air on top of the Layla, while keeping the bass and midrange. They are intending on releasing it on 5/2/22 and taking CIEM pre-orders at the show for $2399 (base) with additional cost for customizations. Definitely love the set and have one on the way after a mere 30 minutes, instantly fell in love.
I found the head gear are really lacking this year. Maybe I am just more into speakers now or I am just jaded from many years of headphones. It is great to see old friends at the show though.

Apr 23, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #27 of 32
I found the head gear are really lacking this year. Maybe I am just more into speakers now or I am just jaded from many years of headphones. It is great to see old friends at the show though.I need to go check out the room but if they are the big monos they are either the MRE220 for $20k a pair or jubilee and they are north of $40k a pair.
I had the same impression. There were many more manufacturers at the last show back in 2019. They occupied a good portion of the exhibit hall. I like that it's isolated from the rest of the show now, but the numbers sure were down.

I need to go check out the room but if they are the big monos they are either the MRE220 for $20k a pair or jubilee and they are north of $40k a pair.
Although it's extremely difficult to compare apples to apples since the rooms and playback material (never mind amplification, cables, etc.) are all different, these sounded better to me than a pair of $185k speakers I heard earlier on. I will say the Dynaudio rep. was very knowledgeable about different genres, which showed he's as interested in music as he is audio. That's a company I want to buy from. Ya know, one day when I have that kind of budget.

Apr 23, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #28 of 32
Heard Aries Cerat speaker (ribbon tweeter with horn mid). Mind blown on horn spkrs. What are other horn speakers at the show?

Rant: I started measuring average listening volume around the various rooms and these old dudes like to listen at 85-90db which is like ear splitting for me. No wonder everything seems to sound good them - probably half deaf.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #29 of 32
So...what's everyone damage to their wallet now that the show is over?

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #30 of 32
So...what's everyone damage to their wallet now that the show is over?

Nothing for me yet. It did help me make some decisions on a DAC/Streamer though. I spent $9000 at the CAMJAM in NY in February! Still not 100% on what I want to buy yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back