Bad Experience with Elusive Disc (with a good outcome)
Mar 2, 2009 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jsaliga

Headphoneus Supremus
Since October of last year I have been buying a lot of audiophile vinyl. Of particular interest to me are the 45RPM 180g Blue Note reissues from Music Matters and Analogue Productions. These are remastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman. These reissues are not cheap at $50 per title. But my experience with them thus far suggests they are worth it.

For a time I was buying all of my vinyl from Acoustic Sounds. But I started to have problems with a lot of defective records (upwards of 20% or more). However, they never once refused a return, and in every single case except one a replacement was shipped out promptly. In the one exception no replacement was available and a refund was issued. So I was always satisfied with their customer service.

I decided to spread my orders around. And began ordering from Elusive Disc. Things were going fine for a time. But in December I ran into a problem with a 45RPM Music Matters reissue of Kenny Drew's Undercurrent. The first LP was fine but the second disc was bad. A considerable section of side 3 had loud recurring pops that ran through two of the tracks.

I called Elusive Disc to report the problem and request an RMA. Instead, they said they would contact Music Matters and ask them to replace the LP. This was a week or two before Christmas and Elusive Disc suggested it could take a few weeks. I had no problem with that. On Jan 7th I contacted ED to ask for an update, and was told that Music Matters has not received their shipment from RTI. Then a month goes by and on Feb 11th I contact ED for an update. I was told that ED would take another LP out of their existing stock and send it to me (which is what they should have done in the first place).

Well, here we are into March and I still have nothing. I sent them a note yesterday letting them know that I have already written the LP off. I just don't understand why Elusive Disc would poision a customer relationship over a simple RMA of one damned record. It might be one thing if I was returning a lot of orders and inundating them with calls...but this is the first time I have asked for a return with them so I just don't understand why I am getting jerked around like this.

In any event, I am not suggesting that you should or shouldn't buy from Elusive Disc. I just wanted to share this experience and note that I will not be ordering from them again.

--Jerome

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since October of last year I have been buying a lot of audiophile vinyl. Of particular interest to me are the 45RPM 180g Blue Note reissues from Music Matters and Analogue Productions. These are remastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman. These reissues are not cheap at $50 per title. But my experience with them thus far suggests they are worth it.

For a time I was buying all of my vinyl from Acoustic Sounds. But I started to have problems with a lot of defective records (upwards of 20% or more). However, they never once refused a return, and in every single case except one a replacement was shipped out promptly. In the one exception no replacement was available and a refund was issued. So I was always satisfied with their customer service.

I decided to spread my orders around. And began ordering from Elusive Disc. Things were going fine for a time. But in December I ran into a problem with a 45RPM Music Matters reissue of Kenny Drew's Undercurrent. The first LP was fine but the second disc was bad. A considerable section of side 3 had loud recurring pops that ran through two of the tracks.

I called Elusive Disc to report the problem and request an RMA. Instead, they said they would contact Music Matters and ask them to replace the LP. This was a week or two before Christmas and Elusive Disc suggested it could take a few weeks. I had no problem with that. On Jan 7th I contacted ED to ask for an update, and was told that Music Matters has not received their shipment from RTI. Then a month goes by and on Feb 11th I contact ED for an update. I was told that ED would take another LP out of their existing stock and send it to me (which is what they should have done in the first place).

Well, here we are into March and I still have nothing. I sent them a note yesterday letting them know that I have already written the LP off. I just don't understand why Elusive Disc would poision a customer relationship over a simple RMA of one damned record. It might be one thing if I was returning a lot of orders and inundating them with calls...but this is the first time I have asked for a return with them so I just don't understand why I am getting jerked around like this.

In any event, I am suggesting that you should or shouldn't buy from Elusive Disc. I just wanted to share this experience and note that I will not be ordering from them again.

--Jerome

Isn't there supposed to be a "not" in there?

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 12
Yes, already fixed before I saw your post. If you want to pick my grammar apart or point out typos then please PM them to me instead of cluttering the thread with corrections. You certainly didn't need to quote my entire post.

--Jerome

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 12
Rob,

Yesterday I received an apologetic email from the general manager at Elusive Disc and a promise to get a replacement out to me right away. I did receive a USPS shipping notification this morning.

But I think I am going to sit tight for now until I have something in hand, at which time I will update the thread.

--Jerome

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #7 of 12
I have also had good service from Elusive Disc and was disappointed to see this thread. I hope you get the replacement disc and please let us know how this turns out.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 12
A replacement LP arrived in the mail today. I put it on my turntable and gave it a spin. It sounded great, and I am a happy camper. So in the end it turned out well, and I appreciate Elusive Disc making the situation right, even if it took a long time to get it done.

I don't want to dwell on this too much, as I am in a profession that emphasizes customer service and satisfaction. But the lesson here, and hope they learned from this experience, is that when something goes wrong and there is a customer complaint it is important to follow up with that customer. And that is where things fell apart here.

I will be sure to send a note to the general manager thanking him for stepping up to the plate and resolving my issue.

--Jerome

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 12
BTW, Jerome, I asked this in a different thread, but since you are more likely to see it here (though OT): if you were to recommend a single album of Ella Fitzgerald's, which one would it be?

Thanks.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #11 of 12
That's a difficult question since her recorded legacy is enormous and most of it is must have material. My personal favorities are the song books and the work she did with Louis Armstrong. I say that's a pickem' situation so I will give you two recommendations:

Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Irving Berlin Song Book

Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Porgy & Bess

The only bad thing about buying one of the Song Book CDs is that once you listen to it you will end wanting the Complete Ella Fitzgerald Song Books 17 CD boxed set. It retails for $265 but it is often discounted and you can usually catch it on Amazon.com for about $160.

The good news for vinyl fans is that Speakers Corner has reissued most of the Song Book albums on 180 gram virgin vinyl and they are terrific.

--Jerome

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 12
Much thanks. Yes, I have seen the boxed set on Amazon. I love the songs that I have heard, but I still don't feel like I can jump in with the 17 CD's until I sample more of her work.

I will start with the ones you reference above.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back