Balanced amps for IEMs
Apr 7, 2024 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

username643827

100+ Head-Fier
Apr 7, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 9
choose the the one with the most power, i know lots of people say that high power amps make iems hiss but the higher the power the lower the harmonic distortion, generally the higher the dynamic range and damping factor, for better detail and control over the sound, especially the bass. a Ifi IEMatch or similar can help with hiss.

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 9
Check audiosciencereview to see the reviews for amplifiers with the 50mv test, which is how quiet they are with things like sensitive IEMs. A 95 or higher on the test are the best ones, and there's several models. The best value would be the Topping L50/E50 combo or SMSL SH-8s or the SMSL HO200 has been on a big discount on Amazon for a while now. I currently use a Topping E30 Light/L30 II for IEMs, but there's plenty of whisper quiet, balanced amplifiers out there. The Topping A30Pro is excellent, but runs pretty warm if room thermals are a concern, and makes a faint buzz noise when main power is on and the front panel is switched off. Otherwise go for it and have enough power for anything. I agree with Willjs, a more powerful amplifier lets you run in low or medium gain and still have headroom to equalize or get a demanding pair of headphones in the future.

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 9
I have an EarMen ST-Amp.

It is hiss free with every IEM I own except Campfire Solaris but they are sensitive enough to pick up hiss from just about anything. Even then it is minor and doesn’t intrude on even low volume music.

The volume pot has a very slow ramp beyond the initial bottom end increase which provides plenty of volume control with IEM.

Beyond about 3 oclock the ramp increases rapidly with enough power available for most normal headphones.

It has a decent built in DAC and RCA and 4.4mm line in and 1/4 inch and 4.4mm balanced headphone jacks.

It is exceptionally well priced for what it offers and is hugely discounted from its original price of $600.

https://earmen-shop.com/products/earmen-st-amp

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earmen-st-amp.966571/page-4

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 9
Check audiosciencereview to see the reviews for amplifiers with the 50mv test, which is how quiet they are with things like sensitive IEMs. A 95 or higher on the test are the best ones, and there's several models. The best value would be the Topping L50/E50 combo or SMSL SH-8s or the SMSL HO200 has been on a big discount on Amazon for a while now. I currently use a Topping E30 Light/L30 II for IEMs, but there's plenty of whisper quiet, balanced amplifiers out there. The Topping A30Pro is excellent, but runs pretty warm if room thermals are a concern, and makes a faint buzz noise when main power is on and the front panel is switched off. Otherwise go for it and have enough power for anything. I agree with Willjs, a more powerful amplifier lets you run in low or medium gain and still have headroom to equalize or get a demanding pair of headphones in the future.
I'll probably get the topping E30 + L30 II combo or the A30pro as it is only 200 euros in my local audio shop. :)

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 9
Questyle M15i

Apr 23, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 9
choose the the one with the most power, i know lots of people say that high power amps make iems hiss but the higher the power the lower the harmonic distortion, generally the higher the dynamic range and damping factor, for better detail and control over the sound, especially the bass. a Ifi IEMatch or similar can help with hiss.
I'm troubled by this.
First, I am one to feel like the priority is pretty much always hiss with IEMs, and indeed, higher gain tends to mean higher noise(although noise could have several origins so it's just barely at the level of rule of thumb, and people should look for a voltage value of the noise).
I have no idea where you got the idea that higher power means lower THD? I'm not saying it's false, but I've been thinking long and hard and can't come up with a reason why it would be a general rule at all. Are you thinking of changing the class and type of amplifier as you look for an increase in power? Anyway, if you have relevant intel on that, please share, so I can understand where this comes from.
About damping factor, that just seems wrong to me. The amp will have electrical damping that relates to its impedance output and the load's own impedance, what is power doing about that?

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 9
I'm troubled by this.
First, I am one to feel like the priority is pretty much always hiss with IEMs, and indeed, higher gain tends to mean higher noise(although noise could have several origins so it's just barely at the level of rule of thumb, and people should look for a voltage value of the noise).
I have no idea where you got the idea that higher power means lower THD? I'm not saying it's false, but I've been thinking long and hard and can't come up with a reason why it would be a general rule at all. Are you thinking of changing the class and type of amplifier as you look for an increase in power? Anyway, if you have relevant intel on that, please share, so I can understand where this comes from.
About damping factor, that just seems wrong to me. The amp will have electrical damping that relates to its impedance output and the load's own impedance, what is power doing about that?
Hi,
i did not mean to mislead, but it was my belief that, as higher power amps will begin to clip at far higher volumes, then logically then THD would be lower.
as for damping factor, this was simply based on the fact that with all of my amplifiers, damping factor increases correspondingly with power output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back