Best bang for the buck headphone (~80$)
Nov 8, 2010 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Ahzuz

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm looking for basic headphones in the 80$ range.
I basically want the best bang for the buck headphone availalble.
I know I won't get pro sound with that kind of price but it's just for listening to music on iPhone\laptop at school.

Thank you guys

Tom

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 22
I can't imagine a headphone offering better bang-for-the-buck than the Sony MDR-V6's. You can find them online for ~$70, but if you get them just make sure you're buying from an authorized Sony retailer, since there are tons of fakes floating around (For the same price even, so you'd have no reason to NOT buy from an authorized retailer).

Some people don't like the really aggressive highs though. I'll admit they are pretty unpleasant at high volumes, but at lower volumes they sound just fine. Alternatively, if you DO want to listen at high volumes you can EQ some of the highs down and they become much more pleasant. The mids even come out a LOT more. No one ever mentions how good the mids are, but they really are great once you've EQ'd away some of the treble.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 22
There's also the Grado SR60s or maybe a used pair of ATH-M50s.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 22
Best bang for the buck headphone is the Fostex T50rp.  It's $74 brand new, and in it's stock configuration is sounds like crap.  If you spend about 20 minutes modding it the sound becomes amazing.  I don't have a frame of reference to provide input on how well it sounds, but some people say that after modding these sound like much MUCH more expensive headphones.  

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
Best bang for the buck headphone is the Fostex T50rp.  It's $74 brand new, and in it's stock configuration is sounds like crap.  If you spend about 20 minutes modding it the sound becomes amazing.  I don't have a frame of reference to provide input on how well it sounds, but some people say that after modding these sound like much MUCH more expensive headphones.  

I agree though an amp is very highly recommended for them. A grado or the M50 are great without an amp.

What kind of music do you listen to? Do you need isolation? I guess you want a relatively neutral sound? Would you consider going amped?

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 22
Thanks alot everyone for this warm welcome!

Can anyone recommend me LEGIT Ebay sellers at ~70$ a  piece for the Sony MDR-V6s please ?
All I see is 50$ cheap chinese knock off.

I want them as light as possible

Keep the suggestions coming, i appreciate alot!

Thanks.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 22

Quote:
Quote:
I agree though an amp is very highly recommended for them. A grado or the M50 are great without an amp.

What kind of music do you listen to? Do you need isolation? I guess you want a relatively neutral sound? Would you consider going amped?

I listen to all kind of musics except rap hip-hop and such beat sounds.
What's "going amped" ? 

Thanks

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 22
Newegg has the v6 for $72 shipped. 

Amping is plugging in your headphones into an external amplifier so the headphones would be adequately powered, some phones needs more power to drive than others.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
Newegg has the v6 for $72 shipped. 

Amping is plugging in your headphones into an external amplifier so the headphones would be adequately powered, some phones needs more power to drive than others.

I live in Canada, newegg.ca doesnt care the MDR V6
frown.gif

Oh... well I don't need to be amped, it's gonna be plugged directly in my laptop or iphone.

I really like the MDR V6 even tough i'm not a Sony fan.
Looking for some decent places to buy online from Canada where I won't get raped by customs (needs to be USPS shipping).

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 22
From what I remember, there is a CAL! in the F/S forums for $55 shipped. It'll probably be the best choice for you.

If you want more isolation, then maybe try tracking down an used m50 for around $90ish.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 22
Thanks mootookang.

I also found this seller, 86$ shipped from USA isnt bad BUT the pic looks like the chinese knockoff, can anyone confirm ?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SONY-MDR-V6-Studio-Monitor-Professional-Headphone-MDRV6-/110609336131?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c0d48743

Thanks guys!

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 22
Welcome to Head-Fi. 

You need closed, portable headphones. None of the headphones mentioned so far will work well for you if buying new - unless you can find the CAL! which is discontinued. And I do not suggest buying it used or without a good return policy. I owned 3 of them - low quality control. The Sony V6 has a 10' long cable. I suggest posting in the portable headphones forum. 

Quote:
I'm looking for basic headphones in the 80$ range.
I basically want the best bang for the buck headphone availalble.
I know I won't get pro sound with that kind of price but it's just for listening to music on iPhone\laptop at school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back