Best closed Headphones within $300- $450
Apr 12, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #136 of 156
Quote:
hey everyone,

i know i have closed this forum but i wanted to let you know that the Sony MDR-1R's i have ordered, arrived today. they sound really good. their soo comfortable, its ridiculous. Comfort wise comparing to the my brother M50's, the M50 are a little heavier and quite tighter on my head and im not able to listen to the for a long amount of time. The ear cups are noticeably harder than the 1R's, the 1R's feels like you resting for ears on a set pillows. 

sound wise i don't really have the expertise to be able to compare however the only way i can explain it is that the 1R's are more open than the M50's and that's probably becasue of the angled. drivers. bass wise, after listening to Daft Punk- Random Access Memories on repeat, the 1R's appears to me, to be more tight and have more impact than the M50's, however at times the bass can be a bit a bi too much to my ears. 

unfortunately theirs a nasty scuff mark on my 1R's right ear cup, thankfully the seller is more than welcome to replace them fro me. i bought them for $247 at a Sony Clearance Store in Brisbane.

amp wise, i bought the Fiio E07K, i think it improves the MDR-1R's all around, their isn't a huge difference however it's substantial. 

i'm really glad to hear that you like em! :)

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #137 of 156
Nice to hear from you. It is quite annoying when people don't write a couple of words about their experience with the products they have bought in the different threads

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #138 of 156
It's the least i can do for taking so long to decide :) 

could anyone who owns the MDR-1R's suggest a good EQ setting on a fiio amp (E07K), becasue from the short amount of time i've listened to the 1R's, even though the bass is superb it can be a little bit over powering to my ears at times.

Watching movies with the 1R's is very good, you can hear everything. It's as if your in a room rather than 2 speakers firing at your ears. 

for a first headphone, the MDR-1R's is a very good headphone to start with imo. i don't know whether the 1R's are better than the M50's but the only way i can explain it is that the M50's are more neutral and the 1R's have more of a punchier sound.

i really like the H-400's and i nearly pulled the trigger however the reason why i didn't go for the HE-400's is that i don't have my own computer in my room, i use my family's computer which is located in the dining, living, lounge room, its very open. once a have my own computer in my own room, ill consider getting the HE-400's or by the time i have my own computer their might have something new. 

i don't have my 1R's anymore, iv'e sent them off to get a replacement, unfortunately it might take as long as 2 weeks to till they arrive, shipping is surprisingly unreliable in Australia, buying stuff from Amazon can sometimes be faster than buying it from Australia. :frowning2: 

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #139 of 156
I received my new 1R's which are in way better condition but still those little imperfections is the finish but you can't help that, however oddly enough this pair is having rattling jack/plug issue, however my first pair did not have it. 

I can hear the rattle when i listen to music at low volumes but It's more noticeable to me when im watching movies at a moderate volume level. 

should i request for another replacement?

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #140 of 156
^I have seen Tyll from innerfidelity mentioning that problem.

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #141 of 156
Quote:
After talking to dweaver, who is really kind in helping me make my final deccission. 

after a little one on one, i think we've narrowed it down to 2:

Sony MDR-1R
Sony MDR-7520

I don't really know what the differences are between the 1R and 7520, but if someone would be so kind in telling me which pair would be more suited to my taste in music and/or which ones are "better" it'd be much apprecaited. 

I know I'm reviving a semi dead thread but just wondering what may you swing with 1R over 7520. The reason I am asking is because I just paid for a pair of 7520. I've always kind of avoided Sony headphones because the only pair I heard had muddy and over exaggerated bass. From what I read, I don't think the 7520 will be the case, but I won't know till I hear them.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #142 of 156
That's a good question

As you know I was looking for closed headphones within the $300-$399 bracket with detachable cables. The 7520's fitted in that price range gloriously.

I asked around and hifiguy528 suggested the 7520's and claimed that they were 10x better than the 1Rs. At the time I was in joy, but then I asked around and a_recording including some others said that the 1Rs are better sound wise over the 7520's with just not as good build quality.

So I ended up going for the 1Rs. However I do love the materials used on the 7520's and the screw in detachable cables.

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #146 of 156
From my understanding, the 7520 is more neutral than the 1R. By not as good sound wise, was he/she referring to "fun" when listening to the headphones?

a_recording said that the MDR-1R's are very much the better headphones in terms of technical performance it out does the 7520's handily.

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #147 of 156
Quote:
From my understanding, the 7520 is more neutral than the 1R. By not as good sound wise, was he/she referring to "fun" when listening to the headphones?

umm I'm not completely sure sorry all a_recording said was that the MDR-1R's are very much the better headphones in terms of technical performance it outdoes the 7520's handily.

He also said that the 7520's are massively over priced because of it's magnesium build.  

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #148 of 156
Quote:
umm I'm not completely sure sorry all a_recording said was that the MDR-1R's are very much the better headphones in terms of technical performance it outdoes the 7520's handily.

He also said that the 7520's are massively over priced because of it's magnesium build.  

Quote:

a_recording said that the MDR-1R's are very much the better headphones in terms of technical performance it out does the 7520's handily.

Have you actually heard both the 1R and 7520?

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #149 of 156
Sennheiser Momentum are the best closed headphones.

Buy them used like new off seller adgtron on Amazon. They will run you about $240.

No box will be included but all the accessories are and you can't beat the Momentums at that price.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #150 of 156
Quote:

Have you actually heard both the 1R and 7520?

He's quoting another headfi'er. From what I've read, I would think that the 7520 should technologically be able to outperform the 1R and should be more neutral. I have no idea as I have not heard either one before. I will have the 7520 tomorrow and I can give my impressions on that. I'm not trying to defend the 7520 just because I have it but I picked it over the 1R based on what I've read and just restating what the consensus seem to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back