Best dynamic phone/cable combo to replace my dead R-10's
Aug 13, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #32 of 50
Get an Ergo AMT and plug it into your K1000 amp. Go on, do it
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by msjjr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Vicki. I will do so, but it will take quite a few weeks before I get them back now. Maybe I'll try to arrange a comparison between the real and faux R-10's. Could even be a spoiler.

Torpedo:

(too bad, I like Cool T) I've read about an upcoming Denon MD7000! Maybe I'll wait for that one to come out first.

Thanks.

I agree with the D7000's. If they end up truly fixing and surpassing most of the D5000's shortcomings, this might end up being one of the best headphones ever made.

I personally think the stock D5000's sound great now, with only a few flaws. Can't wait to hear the D7000's!

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #34 of 50
I can't honestly think that the CD3000 would sound too close to the R10. If so, then the R10's are grossly overrated(which I doubt). The CD3000's are a great headphone due to their soundstage, but in regards to realism they just don't do it. Their is a slight veil to them that is artificial(this has been stated various times too).

As stated earlier, I think you try another up-scale phone such as the L3000 or HP1000. I think their signature will be closer in nature than the K1000 if you are looking for a replacement.

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #35 of 50
unfortunately and as some others have mentioned, there is nothing to adequately replace the R10 except for another pair. there are other great headphones but they are good for different reasons.

whatever you decide on, good luck.

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #36 of 50
How about finding a CD3000 and sending it in along with your HP1000, to Larry at Headphile to Franenheiz them into an HP3000. Now that would be a special headphone. I beleive there only to be 3 or so in exsistance. And it is one of my favorite headphones. esspecially considering you could work with larry to customize the sound to your liking- bigger/smaller openings, different cables, etc.

Just an idea. It's also nice to keep those HP1000's stock.

Also, I think you should listen to Duggeh
floatsmile.png

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get an Ergo AMT and plug it into your K1000 amp. Go on, do it
biggrin.gif

yes, do iiiiiiit!
floatsmile.png

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #38 of 50
I have a spare set of HP-1000 drivers. Gotta CD 3000 shell?

I use a SET amp to drive the AKG-1000. Isn't the K1000 amp solid state?

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #39 of 50
i have a pair of r10, that has a blown up driver on one side. the seller didnt tell me about it and he was in asia. he vanished from the site for a while and recently he had come back to the site, to sell some of his gears. a jerk..

anyways, ive balanced it with resistors and it seems somewhat balanced now. of course, i dont know how long it will last but for now, it plays..

oh yeah, i recently found out that the serial number on the booklet doesnt match the serial number on the headphones........ what the...........

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #40 of 50
I wish you would have stated that you had an extra pair of drivers. I just sold the CD3000 and I would have given you dibs and a discount because of your situation.
frown.gif

The HP3000's are the best headphone I've heard to date. I sold them because the mids are ever so slightly recessed. I had Paduak and Purple Heart woodies.

One good thing is that it will be easier to find a shell than a new pair of R10 drivers.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #41 of 50
I believe that Hart at Audio Advancements was the North American importer for the R10. If you have not contacted him, you might want to try that route in attempting a repair. He may well have contacts in Japan who can do the repair. North American Sony won't have a clue. I had one R10 that had a bad driver. Since that one was imported through EIFL, I was able to send it back to Koji and he arranged the repair. That was still under warranty, though. Still, he may have contacts in Sony Japan that can do the repair. Expect a long delay in any repair sent to Sony Japan, though, if they'll do it at all.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #42 of 50
Has anyone thought of perhaps doing Markl style mods to the JVC DX1000 to tune down the bass?

I actually preferred the DX1000's compared to the MD5000's at the recent meet. The MD5000's certainly had a clean edge to them, but nothing that struck me as "organic" like how the DX1000's did the vocals. The regular Markl D5000's seemed to be more organic than the MD5000's. There could be some cable experientation there.....maybe an APS, Equinox, etc. would be able to add to a more natural presentation.

Please mind that I am not a bass person and I think the DX1000 would be too bassy for me to use regularly.
The DX1000 could probably use a silver cable and some damping to bring the bass down a bit and refine it a bit more in the rest of the spectrum.

Unfortunately, I do not own either -only heard them on a few occasions (MD5000's once).
You can bet that they would have been modified already
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone thought of perhaps doing Markl style mods to the JVC DX1000 to tune down the bass?

Yes, in fact I am working on elm cups (close genus to what was used on the R-10), where the L3000 (another bass heavyweight) used cherry and the DX1000 uses walnut. I am noticing the harder woods seem to accentuate bass, so perhaps the softer, more sound resonant wood will calm the bass - without affecting the other registers.

It also looks like walnut is used everywhere except the sound chamber, where there is a tube of a lighter hard wood (alder, maple, or cherry are my guesses, due to the grain renderings in the marketing images) which is the primary sound wood, so who knows? Looks like the primary issue was machineability, though these are traditional sound woods in guitars and headphones.

So, yes, we'll see.

Aug 16, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #45 of 50
Oops - I am just looking at using the drivers, and a CD3000 housing. At least on this go round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back