Best Headphones for Ambient/Space Ambient/Downtempo Electronica $1500-2k
Apr 9, 2022 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JollyGreen

Head-Fier
Source: PC
DAC: Schiit Modius
Amp: Schiit Valhalla (NOS Tubes)

I dig Ambient/Space ambient/downtempo electronica/modern composers/etc and I also enjoy the occasional SynthWave (GUNSHIP, The Midnight, etc)

For headphones, I mean upper Mid-fi lower hi-fi. $1500-2k range, I'm currently using the Focal Clear MG Pro and they are NOT what I'm looking for, for this use case. I'm considering switching to the Sennheiser HD800s for this as this is my home office and I listen all day at work and while on the PC after work so comfort is also a factor. I love detailed airy highs, getting lost in synths, detail detail detail, etc.

Looking for ideal phones (or if the 800s would be a good fit) for artists like:

-Biosphere
-Thom Brennan
-Nils Frahm
-Astropilot
-Between Interval
-C418
-40 Winks
-Carbon Based Lifeforms
-The Cinematic Orchestra
-Enigma
-GAS
-Heathered Pearls
-Hollan Holmes
-il:lo
-Joep Beving
-The Last Atlant
-Solar Fields
-William Basinski

(I'm sure you get the vibe I'm going for here)

Please do also use this as a catalyst to listen to some new artists you may find that you love. :)

Apr 9, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 13
Check the Hifiman Arya, it has more low end that the 800s and I found the Arya fit well for every type of music.

Apr 9, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #4 of 13
I do have a playlist which I call "Spheric/Space". For that kind of music I take the 800 and boost him a little bit in the bass. HD800 still has the most space, but positioning is not the best. All Focals have rather small stage. That's why I don't like them.

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 13
I've heard the Arya and planar in general can get a little artificial sounding in the highs but regardless I want to try them out and see what all the hype is about
In my experience that artificial sound, go away with burn in, after a couple of day the headphones has a more natural sound.

Apr 9, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 13
I've heard the Arya and planar in general can get a little artificial sounding in the highs but regardless I want to try them out and see what all the hype is about
I loove my planars (400i & Edition XS) with this genre. I gotta ask though… what exactly is artificial sounding when the music is mostly created with synths? I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but I've always wondered how somebody would gauge the natural sound of something like a Minimoog.

<forgot to toss some reccys>
Check out Lisa Bella Donna and the Dark Side of the Moog box by Klaus Schultz & Pete Namlook if you haven't already

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 13
No Dreamstate Logic? Love his Era 3 stuff especially. Aleks Michalski, Stellardrone, Terminus Void would be a few more recommendations.

I have the HD800S and that would be my choice for sure.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 13
I loove my planars (400i & Edition XS) with this genre. I gotta ask though… what exactly is artificial sounding when the music is mostly created with synths? I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but I've always wondered how somebody would gauge the natural sound of something like a Minimoog.

Check out Lisa Bella Donna and the Dark Side of the Moog box by Klaus Schultz & Pete Namlook if you haven't already
I can't take that question seriously. Even a 4th grader playing a recorder would sound like crap on headphones that play a certain range that sounds like it's playing inside of a porcelain bowl, or vocals of a 2nd chorus singer would still sound like crap if he had his hands around his mouth the whole time he was singing.

Apr 9, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #12 of 13

You want to not so subtly (or intelligently) take a dig at a genre bounce that crap somewhere else, chief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back