Best (in terms of isolation) N/C cans for gun range
Oct 22, 2009 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

monoblocks

Head-Fier
Okay, so this is a weirder one...

Normally I use a dedicated n/c hearing protection headset (rated effective for 12ga buckshot), but lately I've gotten the hankering to actually listen to music while I'm blasting away. Nothing like the having the right music to get one's brain into the right destructive mood in order to correctly blow large holes into things, I say.

I've taken my A-T ANC7 to both the regular indoor and outdoor ranges I typically shoot at, and they sort of work to shield out the report (outdoors better than indoors). While I mostly shoot 9mm Luger, I occasionally will use larger caliber pistols (.44 mag or .45 ACP) and I've found that my ANC7 isn't all that effective dampening out the louder shot (heck, they're not all that great at dampening the 9mm shot when I get down to it). I think a big part of the problem is the relatively small size of the ANC7's ear cups to my largish ears; harder to get decent isolation because of the way the cups sit on my ears, rather than covering over them.

Anyone have a recommendation for a n/c set with decent SQ but great noise canceling abilities? I don't expect these to try to imitate my home speakers or my HD-800, nor do I want them to since I do need to keep the music volume in the low to moderate range in case someone is trying to get my attention. Serviceable SQ is all that I really want, though good comfort would be nice too, but not mandatory. Any 411 would be appreciated.

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 20
Rather than full-sized headphones, there's nothing like IEMs for blocking out noise. They're basically glorified ear plugs, and as ear plugs, they do a damn fine job. And as earphones, they also do very well at that too.

Something like this: Etymotic Research, Inc. - hf5â„¢ Earphones

Probably wear your hearing protection on top of a pair of IEMs, and you'll probably not hear a grenade going off. Maybe.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 20
Lorentz is right. I can't hear anything with my IEM in. People have to shake me to get my attention. haha

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 20
Why not double muff?

Use the IEMs that people recommend and then put some muffs over top of that.

I do that with just regular ear plugs when I go to an indoor range just because shooting next to someone with an AR15 at an indoor range is freakin loud!

Outdoor skeet/trap shooting I just use ear plugs cause I do not like the weight of heavy ear muffs on my head when swinging a shotgun and the noise is not nearly as loud.

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 20
IEM's + Closed-back headphones = What
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 20
Active noise cancelling doesn't work well with soundbursts. The technology is designed to suppress continuous background noise.
You'll have to rely on passive noise cancelling, which brings you to in ears.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 20
I wouldn't trust any full sized headphones to isolate well enough. I don't shoot, but I know guns are loud. I'd use IEMs under ear muffs. That's what I do when using power tools, lawn mower, etc.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #10 of 20
On another note, how well do those earplugs and earmuffs that only block impulse noise work? Do they muffle too much to be used in combat?

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 20
Thanks for the suggestions. Double muff...don't know why I didn't think of that before; guess that's why this place is The Source to guide ones like us who've apparently suffered a bit too much tinnitus and managed to lose our way... :bowdown:

While surfing Amazon this morning I also found an active earmuff with a built-in mini jack that might work; at least most of the shooters posting there think it's great from a sound suppression standpoint:

Amazon.com: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff: Home Improvement

Cheap enough that I might give these a try. But I can always dig out my old ER-4s (or just use my IE8) and double muff with my Peltor for the time being.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #12 of 20
Note most if not all electronic shooting earmuffs actually work the OPPOSITE of how noise-cancel headphones work. Instead of trying to actively cancel the noise they rely on passive isolation but allow certain noises through usually tuned for VOICE so that a shooter can hear instructions.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 20
Also look into the Silencio React. They are designed to let in ambient noise, but react to sudden bursts of loud noise, like gunshots. Pretty trick technology.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #14 of 20
I've never used an ER4, but my im716, Shure E3c and Klipsch X5 don't work too well under my 30dB Peltor ear muffs. They stick out to far and get pushed in a little. It's not comfortable. You're better off with a low profile IEM. I use my UM1. It may not sound as good as the others, but I'm not doing critical listening anyway. The IE8 looks low profile, but I've never seen one other than pictures.

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never used an ER4, but my im716, Shure E3c and Klipsch X5 don't work too well under my 30dB Peltor ear muffs. They stick out to far and get pushed in a little. It's not comfortable. You're better off with a low profile IEM. I use my UM1. It may not sound as good as the others, but I'm not doing critical listening anyway. The IE8 looks low profile, but I've never seen one other than pictures.

Yeah i think it is safe to assume critical listening is not a requirement in this thread
beyersmile.png

Note I have a pair of electronic ear muffs, they actually have a line in jack so that you can plug in either a DAP or Walkie Talkie. I actually have not used that feature since I use them mostly so I can hear people around me. That maybe something you might like, however note that the audio quality of these muffs is well into the piss-poor quality. I would link the one I have but for the life of me can not think of the name of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back