Best neutral IEM's under $50 (CKM33 or A151?)
Mar 16, 2012 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

5370H55V

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a lady friend of mine a pair of iems (and hopefully infect her with the bug
wink.gif
). She mostly listens to classical and C-pop with a lot of vocals, so I'm not looking for anything bassy or with a V-shaped sound. Rather, I'm looking for a detailed phone with slightly emphasized mids to neutral. My budget is $50, and the top two iems I'm considering right now are the Meelec A151 and ATH CKM-33. From reviews the ckm33 appears to have better bass and treble extension and is more detailed than the a151, but judging by my ckm50's I would say the a151 have better build quality. The short cable+extension for the ckm33's might also be an annoyance for my friend.
So out of the two, which iem would you suggest I buy,  or are there other phones which would fit my criteria better?

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 3
The new Sony XBA-1 has gotten great reviews. It is now over $50 since it is new. The list price is $80, however soon it should be discounted. It is balanced armature, however based on what I have read, it seems like it probably is much better than the A151. I plan to get it eventually when the price drops. There were some sellers on Ebay in Japan selling it new with shipping to the US for $54. It was released in Japan a few months ago. When US dealers have ample inventory, it might be around $55 from some US dealers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back