Best Portable DAC amp for the Xenon 6
Apr 18, 2024 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cachedbrown

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I’m looking for a good portable DAC amp combo to pair with my Xenon 6. I know most people here would recommend a DAP, but after the hefty purchase I just want something cheap and light. I’ve currently got a qudelix 5k which I’m not sure will pair well with it. I’d say the most expensive I’d be willing to go would be the chord mojo 2 used, but that’s still pushing it a bit. Given those constraints, what would be the best pairing? Thanks for the help!

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 8
I just bought a used Mojo 2. From all my research, you simply cannot beat it for the price and size, and that's at FULL price. At used prices, absolute steal.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 8
I just bought a used Mojo 2. From all my research, you simply cannot beat it for the price and size, and that's at FULL price. At used prices, absolute steal.
Yeah, I only read great things about it. My only concern is since the Xe6 isn’t a neutrally tuned IEM, and from what I understand the chord mojo is neutral, that it might make the Xe6 sound a bit flat

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah, I only read great things about it. My only concern is since the Xe6 isn’t a neutrally tuned IEM, and from what I understand the chord mojo is neutral, that it might make the Xe6 sound a bit flat
A wise philosophy you'll often see is to pair complementary sounds together. This helps avoid the "too much of a a good thing" dilemma. The rich, warm tones of the Xe6 won't be neutralized by a cleaner DAP, but it will help it shine all the more. Whereas it's entirely possible you could push the FiR into overly dark, veiled territory, with a source which leans heavily on the warm side.

For instance, I will be pairing mine with the warm and lush Pietus Maximus amp, and the warm and lush ZMF Atticus headphones. When I used the warm iBasso DX220 with AMP9 tube amp, it all felt a little "too smooth" and lacking detail. But the Cayin N6ii with E01 amp, sounds much better. Still warm and musical, but the details come out to play again.

Also, from my reading, the Mojo 2 isn't a bright source, not at all. Just less warm than the Mojo 1.

I'll know for sure when mine arrives later this week. :)

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 8
A wise philosophy you'll often see is to pair complementary sounds together. This helps avoid the "too much of a a good thing" dilemma. The rich, warm tones of the Xe6 won't be neutralized by a cleaner DAP, but it will help it shine all the more. Whereas it's entirely possible you could push the FiR into overly dark, veiled territory, with a source which leans heavily on the warm side.

For instance, I will be pairing mine with the warm and lush Pietus Maximus amp, and the warm and lush ZMF Atticus headphones. When I used the warm iBasso DX220 with AMP9 tube amp, it all felt a little "too smooth" and lacking detail. But the Cayin N6ii with E01 amp, sounds much better. Still warm and musical, but the details come out to play again.

Also, from my reading, the Mojo 2 isn't a bright source, not at all. Just less warm than the Mojo 1.

I'll know for sure when mine arrives later this week. :)
Awesome, I guess I’ll try the mojo 2 then. Portability and light weight is definitely a big thing for me, and it checks both off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back