Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #4,741 of 7,916
  the problem with LG V20 is that its internet surfing time is just about 7hrs 30mins before battery runs out completely.

about LG G5, the problem is with "HiFi Plus" plugged into the phone, the Bluetooth audio function is affected.  *It's quite complicated to how to set up the BT connection with the HiFi module connected.

I don't understand why bother you the bluetooth issue if you use the hifi modul. Pointless to use bluetooth cans for any quality sounding source gear.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #4,742 of 7,916
Update on Mi max. 

If the battery matters for you... I have used it for 2 days now, and it's at 53%... It's amazing!~

Though I haven't used it heavily, I did play some games, read some emails, FB messenger, wifi active and mobile data active almost all the time, had some phone conversation (~1-2 hours). 

I also do have screen brightness on max while using it. 

Still a big phone, and without large pants / big pockets, you feel it. Can't really use it one handed, and I have ~big~ hands. 

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #4,743 of 7,916
Portability aside, as I wouldn't mind using a small headphone DAC/AMP from Fiio, Oppo or Mojo, if I were to use any of those DAC/AMP with an iPhone 7, would I get better sound than using an LG V20 without any external DAC/AMP? I've read that the LG V20 comes with four! DACS that not only makes music sound better and louder but also significantly reduces the noise, so I don't know if any of said small DAC/AMPS I mentioned can compete or provide even better sound and noise reduction? 

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #4,744 of 7,916
  Portability aside, as I wouldn't mind using a small headphone DAC/AMP from Fiio, Oppo or Mojo, if I were to use any of those DAC/AMP with an iPhone 7, would I get better sound than using an LG V20 without any external DAC/AMP? I've read that the LG V20 comes with four! DACS that not only makes music sound better and louder but also significantly reduces the noise, so I don't know if any of said small DAC/AMPS I mentioned can compete or provide even better sound and noise reduction? 

DACs only reduces noise from other electrical components (eg cpu) if they are isolated, external DAC/AMPs usually have a better design to isolate noise. It's not about the number of DACs but the quality of the hardware and software. In this case there is very little chance V20 will sound better than the Mojo, both in sound quality and noise isolation.

Personally I don't use an external DAC/AMP because i can't use the inline mic and music control + the extra bulk and charging.

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #4,746 of 7,916
Ok so today i was browsing Lenovo forums and while searching i came across the thread mentioning how to use the turbo hi-fi properly.

Apparently lenovo has provided an option to choose headphone type which goes by the name "headset settings" and made it inaccessible to users for some odd reason. I downloaded the app called "quickshortcutmaker" from play store. It searched me that setting and created a shortcut for easy access.

Now this is a full fledged control panel hidden from users. It has options to select headphone type from hd650 to ie800. What it does is open up the soundstage to a level that is unheard off. I mean it is night and day difference between the preselected stock headphone type which was flat and dull and hd650 which opened up the soundstage to a new level.

Let pictures do the rest of talking.

Yes. I think the headphone settings is similar to Low/High gains. 

And I find out that the first one, AKA “auto adjust", doesn't work automatically.  If if someone doesn't like the sound from Turbo-fi, maybe try a little bit headphone settings. Because the auto adjust doesn't work sometimes. 

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #4,747 of 7,916
  for the price of V20, spending on a MOJO may be a better decision.

But you don't get the phone! 

And yeah... Mojo is really good for a portable DAC / AMP if you like it's sound.

In the meanwhile, I'm just entering the world of ESS Sabre DACs and I think I need more of those, with bright OP-AMPs 

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #4,748 of 7,916
Oh wow, the Hifi Mode on the V10 really compliments the Hifiman RE-00.  Adds just a little bit of weight to the sound, which can be helpful with some orchestral music.  I'm really quite impressed with this pairing.  Currently listening to Nobuo Uematsu's Distant Worlds album.

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #4,749 of 7,916
so, has anyone heard about DAC in Oppo R9s or Xiaomi Mi5s?

​I don't know about the Oppo, but the Mi 5s unfortunately doesn't have a dedicated DAC.

From the FAQ at en.miui.com:
Q. Does the Mi 5s has built-in HiFi DAC chip?
A. No, Unlike the Mi Note/Pro which have external HiFi DAC chip, the Mi 5s does not have. However, its embedded onboard the SD 8210 SoC which make use of the latest 'Qualcomm Aqstic' audio codec built in. It has supports up to 192-kHz/24-bit lossless audio playback.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #4,751 of 7,916
Yes. I think the headphone settings is similar to Low/High gains. 

And I find out that the first one, AKA “auto adjust", doesn't work automatically.  If if someone doesn't like the sound from Turbo-fi, maybe try a little bit headphone settings. Because the auto adjust doesn't work sometimes. 

Yes i confirmed it again, gain is lowest on default and highest on hd650. On hd650 settings i can reach comfortable listening levels on low volume levels whereas on default i have to raise volume quite significantly. Best option for me is somewhere in between those two as long listening sessions becomes uncomfortable for me on highest gain.

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #4,752 of 7,916
thanks! bummer though...
5-5.2'' and good sound is really hard still.
and LG V34, I mean really, are they trying to let us non-Japanese audiophile guys hate them purposely?

​In the same boat as you. Having a hard time finding a phone with an acceptably small footprint, good audio without a stratospheric price tag.

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #4,753 of 7,916
​In the same boat as you. Having a hard time finding a phone with an acceptably small footprint, good audio without a stratospheric price tag.

Axon7 mini

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #4,755 of 7,916
Actually, smartphone with Snapdragon 820 or higher already has built in audio decode function.
Even without the dedicated DAC, they play at lease CD quality audio files now.

so far, 
Moto Z seems to be standing out with all the modules accessories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back