Best sound configuration; AKG K702 with Traktor Audio 10. Do I need a headphone amp
Dec 29, 2013 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Kohli

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. New here, I am a music producer and dj and as such bought myself the audio 10 interface. This move was primarily for djing, however I have been using this sound card to produce with also. I have recently acquired some Akg K702s and was wondering what I should do. I have read everywhere that these headphones really need a good headphone amplifier. My question is will I need one despite already having an (for me, a student) expensive sound card. If so what is an inexpensive solution? Of course I am hoping that running the headphones out of my audio 10 will heed great results, however as a producer I really am looking for the best possible sound.

Many thanks in advance! I would be so grateful for any advice as my technical knowledge of sound is limited.

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 13
Out of my Kontrol 1 the K702 sounds good and is a great start for any music productions. With the time I've got the SPL Phonitor for the K702, as well I upgrade my DAC for a better result.

I'm assuming the Audio 10 interface have the same hps amp unite as the old Kontrol 1, but I'm not sure you'll need to check this out.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the help man, yeah I'm sure it does as its the most high end sound card they do! So u reckon even with the sound card I may in the future need to get a DAC too? Or even professionally will the K702s work fine out of the audio 10? Thanks in advance for any replies!

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 13
As I said, this combo probably will work more than fine. I'm under the impression of the Audio 10 having the same headphones amp unit as the NI Kontrol 1sound card. Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/393139/k702-in-the-studio

As well you'll need around 200 hours of burn in for the K702 to sound the best. A better cable can help a bit too, http://www.head-fi.org/t/378255/akg-k702-build-your-own-cable

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #8 of 13
Yeah I got krk rokit 6s bruv, definitely agree with u there I'm always banging stuff out but just thought i do need some good studio cans for mix downs and stuff! What makes you say I should invest in a headphone amp? Will the audio 10 not be good enough?

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 13
With regard the burn in time I'm just gonna leave them on playing through my tunes for a couple days. Reckon that will suffice? Should they be full volume or lower?? Any help appreciated

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 13
Ok cheers for your help. That's good to know! Have you changed your cable and found discernible differences?

Not day and night, more like 10-20% audible differences with better focus sound separation and a bit more air in between the instruments. 

In my experience acoustic treatment for your room will be very important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back