Best upgrade from KSC75s in the sub-$150 price range?
Dec 14, 2013 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Heyyoudvd

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I haven't posted here in a long time, but I've been stricken with a case of upgradeitis, so I thought I'd ask for advice. I'm looking for a new pair of everyday headphones to use on the bus/subway. Here are a few details:

1. My current portable setup consists of the Koss KSC75 (which I love) and Koss PortaPro (which are good, but a big step down from the KSC75, in my opinion). I'm using an iPhone 5S as my DAC, most of my music is comprised of 256-320kbps AAC and MP3 files, and I don't plan on using an amp.
2. For home use, I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A900 and a pair of Grado SR60 (the pre-'i' version). My source is an Asus Xonar DX sound card playing iTunes files.
3. I want something primarily for portable use, with the occasional home use. They have to be comfortable, durable, and resistant to the cold (ie. able to survive the Canadian winters, unlike the 2-3 pairs of KSC75s that I've gone through over the years). Of course sound quality is key. I listen to all sorts of genres (indie, rock, alternative, electronic, etc...) and bass is important, but I'm certainly not a basshead. Also, I have no interest in IEMs. Circumaural (or supra-aural, if they're really comfortable) is preferable.

The most recommended pair I come across online seems to be the Audio Technica ATH-M50. I've seen people praising them everywhere, and considering how much I love my A900, I'm tempted to stay with Audio Technica. Also, the M50 is currently only $103 on Amazon, which is mighty tempting. What do you think? Should I go for them or is there a better alternative?

(P.S. One last thing I should mention, is that that most headphone connectors won't fit through the cutout on my iPhone case. Is there some sort of small adapter I can use for this?)

Thanks!

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 5
Just Google for the adapter. Can be found for a few bucks.

M50 is durable. Amperiors are pretty durable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back