Best volume settings in the chain for best results.
Apr 23, 2019 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Palartemis

Head-Fier
As a Noob to headphones , tube amps, DACs etc I was looking for advice as to ow to set up my audio chain with regards to volume settings. Which elements in the chain should be set to high volumes to get the best results.

My equipment will be :-

Windows 10 Laptop using Musicbee which will connect to SMSL M6 via USB, this will connect headphone out to SMSL T2 tube headphone amp to Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 On Ear wireless (HD1's in the States).

So to repeat the question, should the overall system volume be set using the Laptop as the variable volume, with the DAC and Headphone amps both on full beans, or laptop full output volume into DAC as variable volume and tube amp at full volume to drive tubes harder?

Same system also plugs via SMSL M6 RCA outs to a seperate tube preamp/buffer and then into an Arcam 8R/8P amps driving bipowered Monitor Audio Silver 6 speakers, be interested in anybody who wishes to suggest how to configure for a non headphone listening system, or is that Taboo on head-fi :) .

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 21
I lock the volume to max in Windows through ASIO/WASAPI Exclusive playback, and control the volume with my preamp. Never drive an amp to max as its noise floor increases substantially reducing dynamic range.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 21
As a Noob to headphones , tube amps, DACs etc I was looking for advice as to ow to set up my audio chain with regards to volume settings. Which elements in the chain should be set to high volumes to get the best results.

My equipment will be :-

Windows 10 Laptop using Musicbee which will connect to SMSL M6 via USB, this will connect headphone out to SMSL T2 tube headphone amp to Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 On Ear wireless (HD1's in the States).

So to repeat the question, should the overall system volume be set using the Laptop as the variable volume, with the DAC and Headphone amps both on full beans, or laptop full output volume into DAC as variable volume and tube amp at full volume to drive tubes harder?

Same system also plugs via SMSL M6 RCA outs to a seperate tube preamp/buffer and then into an Arcam 8R/8P amps driving bipowered Monitor Audio Silver 6 speakers, be interested in anybody who wishes to suggest how to configure for a non headphone listening system, or is that Taboo on head-fi :) .

OS software volume at max, use the potentiometer on the amplifier to control the volume.

And why does your DAC have a potentiometer? You should be using the fixed voltage output to feed the amplifier, otherwise the higher noise level the higher you crank up the active preamp will be part of the signal that will get amplified, worse if you're using the headphone amplifier output built into the DAC. There are two RCA jacks in the back of that DAC to hook up to the amp. Same thing whether that DAC is going into the speaker amp.

And how exactly are you connecting both amplifiers to that DAC? It only has one line output. Hook up the M6 RCA line output to an input on the 8R, then run its Tape Out to the T2.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 21
OS software volume at max, use the potentiometer on the amplifier to control the volume.

And why does your DAC have a potentiometer? You should be using the fixed voltage output to feed the amplifier, otherwise the higher noise level the higher you crank up the active preamp will be part of the signal that will get amplified, worse if you're using the headphone amplifier output built into the DAC. There are two RCA jacks in the back of that DAC to hook up to the amp. Same thing whether that DAC is going into the speaker amp.

And how exactly are you connecting both amplifiers to that DAC? It only has one line output. Hook up the M6 RCA line output to an input on the 8R, then run its Tape Out to the T2.
Hi, thanks for that advice. I haven't received the M6 as yet, this was just asking advice in readiness of receiving it. Yeah, Tape out would be good except I am using that for an AVID Mbox 3 I use to digitize my vinyl, have to try the headphone out on that, just noticed it has one.

It was my intention to insert a valve preamp/buffer between my record deck and amp, but I might try and insert it into the tape return after the Mbox then everything benefits from the valve sound.

I have my headphone setup close to my chair, the hifi is 4 yards away, is this too far to use a headphone extention, never really liked using cables any longer than I need to.

How bad would a switch be on the tape out to direct to either the T2 or the Mbox, would that just ruin the sound path?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 21
Hi, thanks for that advice. I haven't received the M6 as yet, this was just asking advice in readiness of receiving it. Yeah, Tape out would be good except I am using that for an AVID Mbox 3 I use to digitize my vinyl, have to try the headphone out on that, just noticed it has one.

It was my intention to insert a valve preamp/buffer between my record deck and amp, but I might try and insert it into the tape return after the Mbox then everything benefits from the valve sound.

I have my headphone setup close to my chair, the hifi is 4 yards away, is this too far to use a headphone extention, never really liked using cables any longer than I need to.

How bad would a switch be on the tape out to direct to either the T2 or the Mbox, would that just ruin the sound path?

That set up is just really, really, too complex.

What I'd do if you're going to use a tube preamp anyway is to buy one that has a buffer or even just a total bypass output that way you can hook up the headphone amp there. Use longer cables and put the headphone amp near your chair.

Otherwise if your power amp has Speaker A and B output with a switch I'd just hook up the headphones to the speaker output using a speaker to headphone converter box, with longer speaker cables going into the converter. You'd still have the volume control farther out from you though.

Apr 24, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #6 of 21
That set up is just really, really, too complex.

What I'd do if you're going to use a tube preamp anyway is to buy one that has a buffer or even just a total bypass output that way you can hook up the headphone amp there. Use longer cables and put the headphone amp near your chair.

Otherwise if your power amp has Speaker A and B output with a switch I'd just hook up the headphones to the speaker output using a speaker to headphone converter box, with longer speaker cables going into the converter. You'd still have the volume control farther out from you though.
OK, for now, till the SMSL M6 arrives I have just found a 10m OFC cable 3.5mm to RCA and plugged that into the headphone out on the T2 into the 8R, because the real comparison was long cable versus Bluetooth and subjectively, the long cable sounds better than bluetooth.

Apr 24, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 21
It's not going to make a whole lot of difference if your headphones are wireless ...
Using them wired, better sound than APTX even. I also use HD280 Pro for a change of pressure on the ears and different sound.

Apr 24, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 21
OK, for now, till the SMSL M6 arrives I have just found a 10m OFC cable 3.5mm to RCA and plugged that into the headphone out on the T2 into the 8R, because the real comparison was long cable versus Bluetooth and subjectively, the long cable sounds better than bluetooth.
Sound check straight out of Cyrus S|oundkey or through SMSL T2, my preference with T2 in path, soundstage wider, much clearer separation of instruments, tighter bas and more high trebles, cymbals etc.plus generally more integrated sound, warmer and funnily enough, reverb/echo on vocals instruments seems more effective. But all of this is my subjective taste.

Apr 24, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 21
20190425_015938.jpg

Is yours looks like this ?
(Dont have any "2.0" on the box, idk mine is 1.0 or 2.0).

If yes, it is same of mine - I have one.

This hp I find it very bad (sorry for plain worth) sounding on WIRE use.
When use blutooth way, it is better and much better after correc eq 2k4 to 3k range.

My comment on this hp is to use with iphone6, wireless, reduce 2k4-3k range at -7 or 9 db. That spike kill the sound.
After eq, got a quite balance and detail level (compare to wireless hp).
For wire use, I cant comment on the sound even eq, bcs very blurry and muffle

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 21

Is yours looks like this ?
(Dont have any "2.0" on the box, idk mine is 1.0 or 2.0).

If yes, it is same of mine - I have one.

This hp I find it very bad (sorry for plain worth) sounding on WIRE use.
When use blutooth way, it is better and much better after correc eq 2k4 to 3k range.

My comment on this hp is to use with iphone6, wireless, reduce 2k4-3k range at -7 or 9 db. That spike kill the sound.
After eq, got a quite balance and detail level (compare to wireless hp).
For wire use, I cant comment on the sound even eq, bcs very blurry and muffle

Those are my HP, I use them wired but with the noise reduction/power on, which seems to improve the sound, I have used them on Nokia 7 plus, which has APTX and using the wire and using the Cyrus Soundkey on an OTG Cable wired to HP and this is by far the best sounding solution from the phone.

I am surprised you prefer the HP on an iPhone6 using Bluetooth as AFAIK iPhone6 does not have APTX and only connects using SBC, so wired should be better from everything I have read on the shortcomings of the SBC Codec. Try them wired but powered on, you should find an improvement.

I prefer the overall sound of the HD 280 Pro, for some music the Sony MDR-!R's seem to sound better, I cannot make a conclusive decision.

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #13 of 21
Those are my HP, I use them wired but with the noise reduction/power on, which seems to improve the sound, I have used them on Nokia 7 plus, which has APTX and using the wire and using the Cyrus Soundkey on an OTG Cable wired to HP and this is by far the best sounding solution from the phone.

I am surprised you prefer the HP on an iPhone6 using Bluetooth as AFAIK iPhone6 does not have APTX and only connects using SBC, so wired should be better from everything I have read on the shortcomings of the SBC Codec. Try them wired but powered on, you should find an improvement.

I prefer the overall sound of the HD 280 Pro, for some music the Sony MDR-!R's seem to sound better, I cannot make a conclusive decision.
Even my worse ear/headphone is ibasso it01s which is much better sounding. So momentium wireless (as in prev pic)is not a thing I can say good sound.
I tried drives momentium - a gift shop, which couldnt exchange to $ - by some good audio stuffs and found the hp is not good itself.
Therorically Wireless will not a tie or better than wired but for only good stuff. I believe momentium has a not good driver (to much of weakness ) so wireless will have a chance, or a dap/amp must have some strange responding to match/compensate for the cans.
My galaxy note8 have multi b.t code than outdated iphone6. But wire and wireless it sound far better than note8 (and may be 99% samsung phones).
Theory and actual may have gaps

Apr 24, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #14 of 21
Even my worse ear/headphone is ibasso it01s which is much better sounding. So momentium wireless (as in prev pic)is not a thing I can say good sound.
I tried drives momentium - a gift shop, which couldnt exchange to $ - by some good audio stuffs and found the hp is not good itself.
Therorically Wireless will not a tie or better than wired but for only good stuff. I believe momentium has a not good driver (to much of weakness ) so wireless will have a chance, or a dap/amp must have some strange responding to match/compensate for the cans.
My galaxy note8 have multi b.t code than outdated iphone6. But wire and wireless it sound far better than note8 (and may be 99% samsung phones).
Theory and actual may have gaps

Which is another example of subjective experience in audio, you know what you think is best for you, I know what appeals to me, as demonstrated throughout this site.

Apr 24, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #15 of 21
Actually, I have a question regarding volume. Tidal on a laptop: volume at 90% or 100% in Tidal via usb to a benchmark dac2?
I put all of my computer volumes to max and adjust my amp for volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back