Best Wi-fi DAP?
Jul 16, 2010 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Maxvla

Headphoneus Supremus
Been using my 8GB flash Zune for a few years, but recently found out the iPod touch has built in Wi-fi, which surprised me and got me thinking about a new device with wi-fi built in.

I'm not entirely anti-Apple, but would prefer a different company if possible, and not loyal to Zune at all.

1. Price is not an issue up to $500
  2. 16GB or better internal storage (or ability to add via micro storage cards)
  3. 6-8 hours of constant, not necessarily all Wi-fi, use in a battery charge
  4. Flac would be nice, but not a deal breaker
  5. Likewise, sound quality should be good, but I'm not expecting perfection
  6. Don't need EQ or fancy settings. I would leave them flat/off anyways
  7. Touch screen a huge plus with easy zoom/expand for browsing
  8. Screen size up to 5"
  9. Zune HD or iTouch form factor a plus, but also not mandatory
  10. Will be used for light video playback, mostly music/web browsing

Thanks for your suggestions!

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 29
That's what I'm seeing in my searching, though I can't find hardly any comments on the Zune HD browser experience. I've seen comments on some of the other wifi daps with less than stellar browsers.

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 29
I agree with the above post, a friend of mine has a Zune HD and I have a iPod Touch and the browser is just a little bit better on the iPod. This is just where apple excels (in the accessory features department) in their devices. If I were you though, I would wait a couple months for the next gen of touch to come out just to see what they change or make better/worse. Just my opinion.

Jul 17, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 29
New touch in a couple months? Is that already announced or could a couple months turn into 4+? I was really looking to get a new DAP right away.

My friend has a 2G touch but his battery life is terrible when using wi-fi. He'll have bought an album on iTunes download it then have only enough power for about 3 hours of music from a fully charged battery at the start. Granted his battery might be getting weak since it's older.

Is the 3G any better with battery life?

Jul 17, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 29
Yeah the iPod Touch is your best bet and the next generation should be announced this September. I am hoping for a 128GB version
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 29
Yeah I just saw several sites showing September release, also one of them mentioned a significantly longer battery life on the 4G. I'm guessing the 4G iPod will probably use the same casing as the new iPhone which is a big plus. The 3G iPod is ugly, but the new iPhone looks far better.

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 29
The Sony X-1000 series has wi-fi and touch screen. The Youtube application works OK but its worthless for web browsing. On the other hand, its great as a music player.

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #10 of 29
I'd go for an iPod touch, although it's almost certain that a new one is around the corner in September (usual time they update all the iPods). The app store alone makes it heads above the other wifi players, if you're looking for something that can do a lot of things well.

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #11 of 29
Currently own both the Touch and the ZuneHD, and the Touch remains the king of wifi browsing. I also owned the Sony X (worthless as a wifi machine). I do like both the HD and the Touch, but for the web, no real contest.

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #12 of 29
I have to chime in with the recommendation of the iTouch but with a caveat: if you are a PC guy, be prepared for a headache or two in dealing with iTunes.  I've been longing to replace my 64gb iTouch because I'm tired of dealing with Apple's ecosystem within a PC environment.  I have a ZuneHD which I feel offers better sq but to be honest, the browsing experience is rather poor.  The screen is as responsive as the iTouch but it just sorely lacks in apps and accessing the 'net.

Therefore, currently, I would have to say the iTouch is awfully hard to beat.

Jul 17, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 29
What problems do you have, just out of curiosity? This is my third Touch (had a 16, then an 8, and now a 64, 3G), and while I am not in love with iTunes, for sure, it seems to work okay doing what I want, that is getting music on the Touch. I have 40GB filled so far. Creating some Genius playlists, some of my own. Do you mean like it doesn't work all the time? Again, just curious. Also, I believe you can use Media Monkey to manage the music/data on a Touch, but I could be wrong. I just never tried, though I might.

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #14 of 29
I've tried other interfaces to keep my iTouch up to date in regards to the media files I want on it but I have found each of them to be flaky in one way or another.  More than once has the database got corrupted and had to go back to iTunes to restore.  I gave up and decided to stick with iTunes.

The problems I have had is trying to keep things auto updated like my podcasts and the like.  I had also had a knock down drag out fight with it in regards to my audio books.  I hadn't touched my audiobook setting and after an evening where I put some new music on, the next day when I went to listen to my book - it was gone.

I also can't stand how I can't sync my Touch on multiple computers.  My hope is to one day replace it with a MTP or MSC device that is similar to the Touch.

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #15 of 29
Yeah, not perfect for sure. And why can't a music management program tell you when you have dupes in your music folder? I seem to have to search by name to see/find the duplicates, with all of them (WMP12 as well).

I don't use Podcasts or audiobooks, and hardly any video, so that may be why it's easier for me. I will be wary should I start getting those media.

Of course, I never auto-sync anything, complete manual management for me. So I can plug the Touch into either my netbook or desktop (both Win7) and move music onto my Touch. I actually backed up the itunes folder and moved it to my netbook so they would be close.

Anyway, I agree the ZuneHD SQ is superb, but the browser not so much. But I find it better than the Sony X at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back