Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Sep 27, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #676 of 1,833
Interesting.
I always wanted to own a pair of Beyers, so this one may be the one to get. (Note to myself: you've got plenty headphones right now, no need for another pair)
Very curious if these Beyers will receive similar hate as the NightHawks or if people are willing to give these some time to get used to (a favor the NightHawks in most cases didn't receive).

Honestly I get the feeling they will get a lot of hate like the Nighthawk did especially since Beyer is a bit of a controversial brand to begin with, but I feel those who like these headphones will absolutely love them. And these headphones take time to fully appreciate.

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #677 of 1,833
Honestly I get the feeling they will get a lot of hate like the Nighthawk did especially since Beyer is a bit of a controversial brand to begin with, but I feel those who like these headphones will absolutely love them. And these headphones take time to fully appreciate.
That is true, especially on a forum which name is not meant to be mentioned over here.
But I think Beyer will do get more credit beforehand than AudioQuest ever got, because Beyerdynamic is by origin a well respected headphones brand while AudioQuest by origin is a suspicious cable company :)

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #678 of 1,833
That is true, especially on a forum which name is not meant to be mentioned over here.
But I think Beyer will do get more credit beforehand than AudioQuest ever got, because Beyerdynamic is by origin a well respected headphones brand while AudioQuest by origin is a suspicious cable company :)

That is true, I think it's because Beyers do their own thing in terms of tuning. I've come across more overall variety in terms of sound signatures from Beyer than a lot of other brands. Beyer is my favorite brand overall when it comes to headphones, they do have their hit or misses of course. While I often show some mixed feelings about Senns, I generally do overall like them and appreciate their midrange focus. I haven't heard a lot of the newer headphones outside Beyers and Senns so I mostly talk about these two brands for that reason. Beyers I often like as my main headphones due to how they handle decay, transients, imaging, etc. True so it may not get as much flak as AudioQuest did. Honestly wish Audioquest stayed in the headphone game would of been interesting what they would come out with.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #679 of 1,833
I totally agree with your comment. Since I have the T1 v3 I have thought several times about returning them... But giving them time and getting used to their sound register, I have learned to value them more and more and now I love them and it does not occur to me to return them... I am surprised because this has never happened to me with any headphone (For example, I like very much Amiron and 1990 Pro from the very first listen).

When I was 16 (now I'm 41), I was a inveterate Metallica fan... I'm rediscovering their almbus now with T1 v3... and I'm really surprised. Even in games like Risk of Rain 2 this HPs give me pint-point image and I always know where enemies appear.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #680 of 1,833
Many times the headphones that I did not like at first listen were the ones that lasted the longest. I think the T1.3 is a headphone that after a while just open up and keeps giving those goosebump experiences. But you have to give them time.

Sep 27, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #681 of 1,833
Many times the headphones that I did not like at first listen were the ones that lasted the longest. I think the T1.3 is a headphone that after a while just open up and keeps giving those goosebump experiences. But you have to give them time.

Very true. The headphones that got me interested immediately became tiresome quite soon. Those that were a bit indifferent on first contact often showed their full potential after quite some time... Plus one gets used to a signature, which makes every model that is simply tuned differently sound wrong on first contact.

I've not heard either T1 or T5 and will most likely pass on them -- I recently acquired the SRH1540, am very happy with it and simply still own too many headphones -- but I think its a very interesting turn to differentiate consumer and pro models this way. The Amiron Home was the first Beyerdynamic model that sported a warm tuning, and it seems to have been quite successful. I also have to admit that over the years I came to appreciate slightly warmer signatures more... they don't overwhelm me with perceived details that are presented just too intensely. A slightly warmer tuning does not mean the details are missing... its still there if I want to get to it, but I can also easily decide to just enjoy the music. Which simply became much more important to me than analyzing.

And yes, I did like the Nighthawk (not the Nightowl though). I wish Audioquest would have continued their headphone business while cancelling the dubious cable offerings (the lower priced cables are OK, but the rest... nvm).

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #682 of 1,833
Not sure why this thread has devolved into nothing more than justifying and rationalizing the product under discussion. I think there have been about a 200 posts to the effect of "give the headphone time" at this point.

Why not cover music or gear synergies? Talk about the sound in more detail, what the headphone does well, does not do well. This endless lament about how Beyer is controversial and misunderstood really has no value in the scheme of things, unless you're so insecure as to worry about liking something panned by a select few.

Sep 29, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #683 of 1,833
Hello head-fi'ers.. I am back after a very long break from this forum, though I have been lurking every now and then. It warms my heart to hear folks still talking about the Nighthawk every now and then, it is by far the headphone I now regret selling the most. Anyways, I am very excited about this gen 3 launch of T1 and even T5. I have owned a few beyers in the past, but the DT1990 is as high up the chain as I ventured and I was never comfortable with the treble spikes, and given that never interested in the higher end models after that. But this gen 3 is a game changer for me. I just bought the Tygr 300r a few days ago, I think it arrives tomorrow. I am going to let that break in with a new Dragonfly Cobalt and continue to watch the feedback here on the T1 gen 3. If it plays out the way I think it will, I will be picking up a T1.3 and a new amp, probably an Element II by the end of the year.

Sep 30, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #684 of 1,833
I need to audition the new T1. I’m in the minority as I absolutely adore the 32 ohm version of the DT880. In fact, I prefer it over the 600ohm version.

Sep 30, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #685 of 1,833
I need to audition the new T1. I’m in the minority as I absolutely adore the 32 ohm version of the DT880. In fact, I prefer it over the 600ohm version.

It's definitely different than the previous Tesla Beyers. But honestly I'm struggling to listen to other headphones after having this headphone for a few weeks. Never heard the 32 Ohm DT 880 before.

Sep 30, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #688 of 1,833
Yep 👍

When I switch from the T1.3 to a Denon d9200 or Focal Clear, I felt like I was switching from a “Dynaudio Contour 30i” to a “Rogers ls3/5a”. The comparison may be limp, but a basic content of the music is contained in the lower mids and bass ranges, these ranges seems not adequately represented in other headphones.

The T1.3 does not lack any high-frequency ranges, but these have to fit into the entire musical process and are therefore not emphasized. That’s how I feel when listening and that’s how I describe the main difference to the competition.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #689 of 1,833
Yep 👍

When I switch from the T1.3 to a Denon d9200 or Focal Clear, I felt like I was switching from a “Dynaudio Contour 30i” to a “Rogers ls3/5a”. The comparison may be limp, but a basic content of the music is contained in the lower mids and bass ranges, these ranges seems not adequately represented in other headphones.

I think people forget how much bass and lower midrange there really is in real life listening, I always felt headphones should be darker, bassier, and warmer than the majority out there, the challenge has been getting a headphone to achieve this type of tuning without sounding like a muddy mess. The bass and lower mids actually sound proper now and the shoutiness the vast majority of headphones has is gone now as well and honestly I don't find the upper mids lacking. There is an urge by many to put most of the headphones energy in the upper mids and treble. I wonder what type of R&D and testing Beyer did to come to the conclusion to use this tuning, the company can tune the headphones however they want but they went against convention, this isn't some hack job, but rather a deliberate tuning decision they made and I personally agree with it. I feel this headphone is the best representation of this type of tuning I've heard so far and I definitely understand people not liking this sound and I do keep other headphones around for different moods.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #690 of 1,833
I think people forget how much bass and lower midrange there really is in real life listening, I always felt headphones should be darker, bassier, and warmer than the majority out there, the challenge has been getting a headphone to achieve this type of tuning without sounding like a muddy mess The bass and lower mids actually sound proper now and the shoutiness the vast majority of headphones has is gone now as well and honestly I don't find the upper mids lacking. There is an urge by many to put most of the headphone energy in the upper mids and treble. I wonder what type of R&D and testing Beyer did to come to the conclusion to use this tuning, the company can tune the headphones however they want but they went against convention, this isn't some hack job, but rather a deliberate tuning decision they made and I personally agree with it.
There's nothing to add.

Respect for Beyerdynamic's great job 👏

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back