Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth In Ear Monitors - Discussion Thread
May 13, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #16 of 85
One thing i can tell is that, its really cheap!! man!! look at the price!!

May 13, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #17 of 85
  One thing i can tell is that, its really cheap!! man!! look at the price!!

Agreed, it really doesn't have much competition here 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Brainwavz has always been great at attacking a niche that most companies ignore. Glad to see a quality company making a bluetooth headset at this price point, it's been no name re branders here mostly. 

May 13, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #18 of 85
One last point to be made by me on the BLU-100's regarding battery life from what I'm starting to see in the initial reviews:

Folks will tend to try to look on the bright side of a product they are reviewing to try and place it somewhere where it might be of most use, despite it not being made for said segment, like in this case gym/workout use. I'm guilty of it myself. But is that really doing the product being reviewed justice? Is it telling the company it needs improvement? Nope, not really. 

My point? Simple really. The BLU-100's are wireless headphones meant to be used all or most of the time, not just for short periods of time. So far even the cheapest bluetooth headsets I've used have had at least 8 hours of battery life, as wireless headsets are of limited use if they can't be used for at least an amount of time equal to a good commute combined with some in between use like lunchtime and the like. The BLU-100's can't cut it here, and that's a real shame. This is making all of the reviewers so far make it into something I do not believe it was meant to be, a gym/workout headset(READ: LIMITED USE), and really nothing more....and I think that's doing them an injustice. As a wireless headset, it needs a good sized battery to be of all or most of the day use, it doesn't have that and that's all I'm saying here.

That's all I'm gonna say on this subject on here, and I hope that Brainwavz sees this and makes either an improved version of the BLU-100's with a larger battery so it doesn't get pigeon holed as it's getting now, or the next ones in the lineup are better equipped to go the long haul use wise. Oh, and once again I'm not saying the BLU=100's are a bad buy, not at all, I really like 'em and simply feel that limiting it to short term use is really doing them an injustice. Brainwavz are a good company know for listening to their customers(and reviewers), so here's hoping for the best 
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #19 of 85
  One last point to be made by me on the BLU-100's regarding battery life from what I'm starting to see in the initial reviews:
Folks will tend to try to look on the bright side of a product they are reviewing to try and place it somewhere where it might be of most use, despite it not being made for said segment, like in this case gym/workout use. I'm guilty of it myself. But is that really doing the product being reviewed justice? Is it telling the company it needs improvement? Nope, not really. 

My point? Simple really. The BLU-100's are wireless headphones meant to be used all or most of the time, not just for short periods of time. So far even the cheapest bluetooth headsets I've used have had at least 8 hours of battery life, as wireless headsets are of limited use if they can't be used for at least an amount of time equal to a good commute combined with some in between use like lunchtime and the like. The BLU-100's can't cut it here, and that's a real shame. This is making all of the reviewers so far make it into something I do not believe it was meant to be, a gym/workout headset(READ: LIMITED USE), and really nothing more....and I think that's doing them an injustice. As a wireless headset, it needs a good sized battery to be of all or most of the day use, it doesn't have that and that's all I'm saying here.

That's all I'm gonna say on this subject on here, and I hope that Brainwavz sees this and makes either an improved version of the BLU-100's with a larger battery so it doesn't get pigeon holed as it's getting now, or the next ones in the lineup are better equipped to go the long haul use wise. They are a good company know for listening to their customers(and reviewers), so here's hoping for the best 
biggrin.gif

Well, the thing with batteries is - people always want more up time and have complaints but there are limitations. Everyone can say - "put a bigger battery inside" but where is that bigger batter supposed to be put? Bigger battery means bigger housings or bigger and heavier control pod and such or reducing the drivers and/or chamber of the iem itself, so there is more place left for the battery in the housing. Then there are the people who say - "that housing is too big and needs to be smaller and more ergonomic, which is even harder unless you go with the pendant type of bluetooth receiver. It's just hard to cater to everyone and I think Brainwavz went with a middle ground solution. 

May 13, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #20 of 85
  Well, the thing with batteries is - people always want more up time and have complaints but there are limitations. Everyone can say - "put a bigger battery inside" but where is that bigger batter supposed to be put? Bigger battery means bigger housings or bigger and heavier control pod and such or reducing the drivers and/or chamber of the iem itself, so there is more place left for the battery in the housing. Then there are the people who say - "that housing is too big and needs to be smaller and more ergonomic, which is even harder unless you go with the pendant type of bluetooth receiver. It's just hard to cater to everyone and I think Brainwavz went with a middle ground solution. 

Couldn't agree more...but this design should have been made with a bigger battery in mind to begin with, and that's my point. I wish they would have thought of that beforehand and designed accordingly. There's no point in going the middle ground if it's going to hurt the reason for making the product in the first place(in this case, wireless, which needs at least decent battery life to be of any use first and foremost), and Brainwavz isn't usually the sort of company to do that. I just wan't to make sure they get that and that they don't make the same mistake twice.

May 13, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #21 of 85
  Couldn't agree more...but this design should have been made with a bigger battery in mind to begin with, and that's my point. I wish they would have thought of that beforehand and designed accordingly. There's no point in going the middle ground if it's going to hurt the reason for making the product in the first place(in this case, wireless, which needs at least decent battery life to be of any use first and foremost), and Brainwavz isn't usually the sort of company to do that. I just wan't to make sure they get that and that they don't make the same mistake twice.

Well, maybe they did and decided to still go with this one for other reasons like sound quality. Yeah, bluetooth needs decent battery life but the iem itself shouldn't be an afterthought like let's design in with battery life in mind and afterwards we'l just cram some small driver in the small chamber left and hope it turns out well sound-wise". It's the same with non-bluetooth iems - people complain about size of the housings and fit issues but designing things like that is not as simple as "do this or that and design accordingly".

May 13, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #22 of 85
  Well, maybe they did and decided to still go with this one for other reasons like sound quality. Yeah, bluetooth needs decent battery life but the iem itself shouldn't be an afterthought like let's design in with battery life in mind and afterwards we'l just cram some small driver in the small chamber left and hope it turns out well sound-wise". It's the same with non-bluetooth iems - people complain about size of the housings and fit issues but designing things like that is not as simple as "do this or that and design accordingly".

Yep, all this talk about battery isn't meant to belittle the entire design of the BLU-100's, it's a great IEM all told. I love it's EQ-able sound signature for sure. But I also like the sound of the other, cheaper still re-brands I've been using, and they thought of battery life just enough to make them usable for a good period of time. It starts at the beginning, and with wireless, the battery, like it or not, is the beginning. All else should be built around that, and it could, and has been done already, by even no name companies out there. I just wan't Brainwavz to do better next time, and I'm sure they will 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #23 of 85
May 13, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #24 of 85
Good review Alex.  I'd probably disagree on the button comments (I personally found them very easy to navigate/distinguish) and the last thing I'd want is a bulkier cable (mind you - my preferred wearing style is over-ear), but agree on everything else.  Just wish I had more of the experience you have with alternative head-sets.  Because I don't, I have very little idea of how far Bluetooth has come with other offerings.

Anyway - enjoyed your insights
beerchug.gif

May 14, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #25 of 85
  Good review Alex.  I'd probably disagree on the button comments (I personally found them very easy to navigate/distinguish) and the last thing I'd want is a bulkier cable (mind you - my preferred wearing style is over-ear), but agree on everything else.  Just wish I had more of the experience you have with alternative head-sets.  Because I don't, I have very little idea of how far Bluetooth has come with other offerings.

Anyway - enjoyed your insights
beerchug.gif

With buttons, I don't mean a much bigger ones, but something more "bumpier" like Meelec implemented with X7 would be great (this is a macro zoom which looks big in the picture, but for the reference a remote is the same size is BLU-100).  Again, just a matter of a personal preference
wink.gif

May 21, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #29 of 85
I just received another review unit (first one has some problems) And this one comes in a box, might be the retail box, but This one too shows BD-120.

( Just ignore the news paper.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back