Brainwavz M100 Earphones - New Release
Dec 13, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #31 of 46
I finished up my main listening session with the M100. After three-hours of non-stop listening, the amount of internal pressure the M100 had developed was pretty ridiculous. Taking them out of my ears damn near caused me pain.

I sincerely wonder what Brainwavz was thinking when the okayed the release of the M100.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #37 of 46
Because of driver flex?

I'll have to try more, but I'm not getting driver flex that bad...

Driver flex is largely dependent on how good a seal you can get. You may just be lucky anatomically. 

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #39 of 46
My M100 review is up!​
http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-m100-iem-noise-isolating-earphones-with-remote-microphone-headset-for-iphone-ipad-ipod-android-devices/reviews/17577​

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #40 of 46
I just uploaded a video overview for M100 to my YouTube channel. Enjoy it in all its "lo-fi production values" glory, lol.

The short and skinny from me on these is...

PROS: The usual Brainwavz build quality and a great case. Cable is a bit stiff certainly feels rugged, with a nice 45° 3.5mm plug, good strain reliefs and a chin slider that stays put. Straight-entry aluminum earpieces are durable and ergonomic, with no problems achieving a comfortable fit. Meant to be worn down but can also be worn up without resorting to using ear guides. Attractive, stealthy design, with matte black finish and high-contrast L/R markings. Remote works perfectly with my OnePlus 3 (although I really could care less as I don't use remotes).

CONS: The cable could stand to be more supple, especially the section above the y-splitter.

SOUND: Okay, many would have put this in the CONS section, but I'm going to just describe the basic sound and let you decide for yourself. M100 has a warm, dark, relaxed bass-forward sound that tends towards the overly-polite (some might say "dull") side of things.

SUMMARY: I've always been a fan of Brainwavz. They've got a good track record of providing a lot of bang for your buck. With M100, Brainwavz gave us an IEM that's well-built, comfortable, and attractive. However, many (myself included) would say Brainwavz went a bit overboard on the tuning and could've (should've?) retained a bit more upper mid and treble presence. That would've helped liven-up the sound, provided increased clarity, and given a better sense of space and soundstage. I found using a brighter source and short, wide-bore tips helped even the sound out a bit, but there's no getting around the fact that their basic tuning just isn't what most headfi'ers are looking for. And ultimately, that's okay. As my man @Takeanidea recently said about the RHA CL1 (and I'm paraphrasing here) - "Wouldn't it be a boring place if all audio gear sounded the same, if there was no variety?" And that is exactly what Brainwavz have done here. It may not be for me, and it may not be for you - but somebody out there will enjoy them. 

Thanks again to Brainwavz for providing me with a review sample!

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #41 of 46
http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-m100-iem-noise-isolating-earphones-with-remote-microphone-headset-for-iphone-ipad-ipod-android-devices/reviews/17685

These are my thoughts on the M100. I took a bit longer than other people but I still think my opinion resonates with the usual idea about these in here: too much potential, bad tuning.

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #42 of 46
   It took a while for the M100 to make it's way to me.  I've only had it in my ears for 6 songs so this is the earliest of early impressions: I'm think I'm going to be going against popular opinion.  So far so good.  I'm hearing a rounded full bass, a somewhat rich sound and really good female vocals.  It's not bright but I don't feel as if it's as ridiculously unbalanced as others have described it.

I'll be doing some very critical listening and comparisons before I post my review.  Usually it's the movies/TV/dialogue that reveals unnatural or poor tuning; we'll see how I feel after a film or two.

Remember, early days.

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #43 of 46
It helped me reconnect with my teenage self... My M100 review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-m100-iem-noise-isolating-earphones-with-remote-microphone-headset-for-iphone-ipad-ipod-android-devices/reviews/17922

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #44 of 46
  It helped me reconnect with my teenage self... My M100 review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-m100-iem-noise-isolating-earphones-with-remote-microphone-headset-for-iphone-ipad-ipod-android-devices/reviews/17922

Nice review. I agree in that they have their positives though I seem to be somewhat alone in this thought; when EQ'd to address the bass bleed and add a bit more life to the upper end they sound amazing. 

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #45 of 46

Nice review. I agree in that they have their positives though I seem to be somewhat alone in this thought; when EQ'd to address the bass bleed and add a bit more life to the upper end they sound amazing. 

I didn't try EQ because for the purposes of a review I want to tell the reader what they'd be getting from the stock experience.  I do believe you're likely right; it's obvious the driver used is high quality and a little experimenting might yield interesting results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back