Budget headphones for general audio use
Dec 26, 2005 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Reputator

1000+ Head-Fier
We're talking around $50. These would be used for everything, music, movies, gaming, used on the computer, on CD players, other portable players and portable handheld games, you name it. I'd like them to sound good especially for music, because although I'm not constantly listening to it, I do enjoy good-sounding music of all kinds and genres.

My last pair were some $30 Phillips HS900 headphones, but the arms (not the headband holding them) broke, a little too easily, which was disappointing cause I liked them, I'd never bought anything close to enthusiast headphones before, and I liked the clarity and bass. I don't plan on going back to no-cup designs anymore, I'd like those with cusions that cover your whole ear. So nothing like Sennheiser's PX or PXC series, street style, Koss's KSC series, etc. Um, no wireless, definitely no earbuds... You get the idea. Full size, or close to it. Closed or open, it doesn't really matter.

I have some ideas I got from reading this forum, and looking around. Here's a list of the ones I've been considering:

Sennheiser
-HD201
-HD202
-HD457
-HD477
-HD497
-HD212 Pro
-EH150
-EH250

Beyerdynamic
-DT231

AKG
-K24P
-K26P

Sony
-XD200

SR60s and XD400 are just out of my price range. I really don't want to go any higher than $60. I'm sure there are a lot more than those so feel free to suggest anything else. I won't be doing any modding, and would prefer not to pay extra for modded versions unless it's really worth it and is within my price range. Because my last pair broke so easily, durability has become much more of a concern for me, so if any of those have an issue with that, do tell me about it. I don't suspect many of them do though.

I realize this question gets asked very often, and I apologize if it's become a nuisance. If you've answered this question before, PLEASE don't burden yourself answering it again, just simply link to a similar thread and I'll be happy to read over it thoroughly. I've been running searches but unfortunately the engine omits certain words so I end up with hundreds of irrelevant topics. I have found a couple though and they helped me come up with that list.

Any questions or more info you need don't hesitate in asking. Thanks for reading! (sorry for the long post, lol
tongue.gif
)

Dec 26, 2005 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 31
Welcome to head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif
. You're asking quite a bit for such a limited budget, but there are a few full size circumaural cans under $50 that are good (glad you didn't list Sennheiser HD280 pro, which IMHO really suck, although someone will be sure to dispute this).

I'd suggest taking off after getting help on this, if you value your wallet at all
tongue.gif
. Seriously, this place is a wrecking yard for wallets everywhere. I thought I was immune to that effect with my limited budget, but nope... 2.5 years and quite a few purchases later, I still haven't upgraded my PC (which badly needs it) and have no savings. Ah well...
evil_smiley.gif

P.S. no specific recommendation, just wanted to say "welcome" ...

Dec 26, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 31
Thanks, I appreciate it. Yeah I'm sure people here look at "$50" and say "well let's see if we can work on that
very_evil_smiley.gif
", lol. I'm jobless though, and definitely not an audiophile who can notice a lot of differences. I have an Audigy 2 Value in my PC, to put things in perspective. So my sound card will probably become the limiting factor before my budget does.

Dec 26, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 31
I found a really helpful post on another topic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
That, of course, is a problem. These graphs show the amount of isolation in dB (decibels) plotted over a logarithmic frequency axis as that is pretty much how we hear. I guess they played back some sine sweep over an external speaker once with cans on the measurement head and once without them. Integrate over the whole audible freq range, and you'll get the total isolation.

Anyway, to summarize:
Open or very little isolating closed cans: Unsuited for noisy environments unless you're already semi-deaf, but usually best sounding in quiet ones.
Decently to well-isolating closed cans: Better suited for noisy environments, but typically more expensive given the same sound quality. May already provide sufficient isolation.
IEMs: Best suited for noisy environments as they can isolate extremely well, plus very small and unobtrusive, but again, more expensive for the same SQ and not for everyone.

With the models of the first group removed from the list, it shrinks down to:
K26P
eH250
HD212 Pro
HD25-SP
HD215
HD280 Pro

Now which of these to choose boils down to your preferences.
Want the best isolation w/o going to IEMs, and rather good sound at that? HD280 Pro.
Ditto, but you don't want to run around with big cans? HD25-SP.
Don't want to pay as much, but still good isolation and basshead appeal (possibly to partly make up for a bass-weak player)?
basshead.gif
HD212 Pro.
Ditto, but with a flatter frequency response? eH250.
Want something very compact/foldable with decent isolation and/or stay under $50? K26P.

And if you're a fan of "ghetto mod" variants, find some extreme isolation hearing protection earmuffs and use some decent earbuds (e.g. MX500 or whatnot) with these.
biggrin.gif

Now obviously the HD280 Pros are out of my price range, so the HD212 Pro or K26Ps are looking good. Don't care about noise canceling or isolation though.

Dec 26, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 31
I would avoid the K26P unless you can listen to the actual pair you're planning to buy before buying: they've got good reviews in the past but I recently purchased a pair which sounds terrible!
I purchased it for half-decent isolation and portability and it delivers although the microphonics are annoying... but they are so unbalanced that I could only listen to a few specific types of music with it. They will at least allow me to listen to speech (talk radio, audiobooks, etc.) at a lower volume than earbuds in a noisy environnement... but I'm already planning to purchase other closed portables to replace them so I wouldn't recommend them, especially if you can't afford to go wrong.

Oh, and the K26P won't cover your whole ears! Actually, most of the Senns you listed might not do the job as well... The HD201 seem to be your best bet if you can't check the fit before buying.

Dec 26, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro Point
If I were you, I would try to test each headphone out in a store. See which one you like the most for comfort, durability, sound quality that fits your taste.

so uh, how do I check for durability? Bang them around and see which one cracks?
tongue.gif

Anyway I was planning on ordering it online, since I really don't know of any places in my area that would let you test them, and that sell them below MSRP.

Dec 26, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reputator
so uh, how do I check for durability? Bang them around and see which one cracks?
tongue.gif

Anyway I was planning on ordering it online, since I really don't know of any places in my area that would let you test them, and that sell them below MSRP.

Oh ok.
For durability you inspect the material, how thick it is, if it flexes around easliy and whatnot. Not bang it against the wall.
tongue.gif
lol
But what are you really looking for in the sound of the headphone?
Like an overall flat frequency with nothing overpowering? Lots of bass? Clarity in high notes?
Edit: nevermind. So you want clarity in all of the frequency and good bass punch out of the cans right?
Hmm, I would go for the HD201 or the HD497.

Dec 26, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 31
Have a look into the Koss UR-40 too.

Dec 26, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #10 of 31
HD497s are pretty hard to find now that they're discontinued. Is there much difference between the HD201 and HD212 Pro?

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #12 of 31
I'd check out the UR-40 and for something more expensive, a HD465 or used SR-60 from the FS/FT forum (the guys/gals here tend to treat their stuff well). Also look out for deals on NOS items (you might find those on eBay, and I obtained both a HD535 and a HD420SL as such) or refurbs.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 31
I wouldn't go for the K26P too. I recently purchased a pair. It's funny, but before the purchase I was afraid they would be as good as my DT880's or at least more fun - with all the praise for KSC35's etc lately. Not the case at all - very muddy sounding highs and mids, decent although in comparison to DT880's somewhat bloated bass not going into the most lower regions. Despite your remark and although I haven't heard them I would go for SR60's.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 31
Where should I start looking to obtain some SR60s for $60 or less?

Not seeing any in the FT/FS section.

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reputator
Where should I start looking to obtain some SR60s for $60 or less?

Not seeing any in the FT/FS section.

You almost certainly won't find any new, with the possible exception of eBay (and even there, I doubt it). They're $69 virtually everywhere, at least here in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back