Burson Audio Fun (2w pc Class A Headphone Amp)
Jun 7, 2018 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 719

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
Just announced:

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/fun/

Burson-Fun-S1-2.jpg

Fun is a dual mono Class-A head amp and preamp. Its symmetrical circuitry is powered by four sets of Max Current Power Supply (MCPS) developed by Burson. The revolutionary MCPS is far superior to traditional transformers delivering instant, clean, and maximum electric current to the Fun. Like an engine with unlimited torque and zero latency, Fun delivers a rock solid performance regardless of demand. It will put most 4W and even 6W amplifiers to shame.

The heart of Fun is our fully discrete Burson Conductor V2 amplification stage. The same circuitry we have been refining since 2008 and famed for its incredible micro details and musicality. All that, delivered with incredible power and control.

Burson-Fun-S4.jpg

At Burson, we don’t believe one size fits all. So, once again, the Fun facilitates and encourages opamp rolling. Audiophiles can live happily with our pre-installed opamps or customise its sound with countless 3rd party opamps.

With added mic-input. Fun is also the missing link that unleashes the full potential of both the PC sound card and the headphones. Fun completes the gaming experience with mesmerizing audio performance.

As a proud member of the Burson family. Fun is top quality with high-end components selected and matched for performance. That includes ELNA Aluminum Electrolytic, Vishay Professional MELF resistors with a top-notch precision of 1% tolerance and ± 50 ppm/K and an ALPS volume pot for smooth and noiseless control.

With 5 years worldwide warranty*, Fun never ends!

PC-100a.jpg
PC-100b.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 719
Got this from @Asahi Templar on the Play thread, for those wondering if the Fun is actually Play without a DAC board:
I asked Burson some quick questions about the differences between them which I thought would be useful for everyone to know and might save the people over at Burson some work answering the same questions!

The Burson Fun is a better amplifier than the Play, it is a dual mono amplifier and is more powerful clocking in at 2W into 32 ohms, which is crazy powerful TBH. The Fun offers no Mic amplification, the mic port on it is just a pass-through wheras the Play actually amps the mic. The Fun offers better channel separation and lower noise due to the dual mono setup.

The Fun only has 2 single-channel OP amp slots so you cant roll nearly as many parts but that makes it ideal for testing OP amps I would say as you can attribute any differences in sound or measurements to one set of op amps much easier.

I think the Play is a much better value for the average person as getting a super powerful AMP/DAC combo for 299 with a Mic input is crazy good value, but if you want the best amplification or already have a solid DAC the Fun is quite an interesting product.

I have to say based on Raoultrifans findings, getting a play basic and picking up a set of Muse OP amps might be the way I go. I can get 3 Muses 8920 and 2 Muses 03 for about 78 bucks (Yay Japan), seems like quite good value for a AMP/DAC that performs as well as this one does.

Jul 3, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #7 of 719
Lets have some Fun! :D

(also got a Bang to test with my bookshelf speakers)

IMG_20180703_113136.jpg

Jul 3, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #9 of 719
Jul 3, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #11 of 719
Jul 4, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 719
I will also be getting a Fun. I see you are also using a Topping D50, Ostewart, that is the same combo I went for!

Looks to be a good way to get a dual mono setup at a reasonable price.

I just went for the basic version of the Fun, but will pick up some Muses 03 if it seems to be good ( and perhaps some Vivid V6s in the future)

Jul 4, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #14 of 719
Curios on how many have ordered the Fun?

I am considering upgrading my Play's DAC chips to the Classic V6 but wondered whether the Fun would be a better way to go?
Personally I'd prefer Fun with some DAC of my own choice. There's nothing wrong with the Play's DAC, but I think it's just a typical sub-$100 DAC. I believe if paired with better (more expensive) DAC then the amp will realize its full potential.

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 719
Personally I'd prefer Fun with some DAC of my own choice. There's nothing wrong with the Play's DAC, but I think it's just a typical sub-$100 DAC. I believe if paired with better (more expensive) DAC then the amp will realize its full potential.

I spoke with Burson and the fun is not just a play without the DAC. I also personally prefer having separates so you can upgrade one part over the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back