Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Dec 3, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #3,061 of 3,132
This is indeed true, but I assumed the questioner is not using bitperfect.
guys
i am interested in a 3XP despite the above.
but i do have a query regarding this.
i notice that the unit has been revised (ver 2.2 being the latest, i think), does anyone know what improvements/fixes are now remedied?

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #3,065 of 3,132
Has anyone compared the Soloist 3xp versus the Soloist mk2? I see the Mk2 at $200 but the 3xp at $580 online. If I'm driving planars like HE1000, is it worth the bump up at nearly 3x the cost of the mk2? What are the differences?

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #3,066 of 3,132
I'm looking to get the Soloist 3xp. Now for the DAC, I have just bought an SMSL D1se 2nd hand for £480 from eBay (yeah I know), before looking at Burson gear tonight

But I can get an ex demo Burson Composer 3x for £590.

Should I just buy it and see how it goes and flip the SMSL? "Better" DAC chip in the D1, but I assume less optomised? I like the abilty to adjust the sound (for free) as I've read the OpAmp classic goes a bit too far in softness and detail loss.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #3,067 of 3,132
I'm looking to get the Soloist 3xp. Now for the DAC, I have just bought an SMSL D1se 2nd hand for £480 from eBay (yeah I know), before looking at Burson gear tonight

Should I just buy it and see how it goes and flip the SMSL? "Better" DAC chip in the D1, but I assume less optomised? I like the abilty to adjust the sound (for free) as I've read the OpAmp classic goes a bit too far in softness and detail loss.
I can't speak to the D1SE, but the 3XP has great synergy with an R2R DAC. You can get the Musician Draco for around the same price as the D1SE, or for a few hundred more you can get the Musician Pegasus.

I ran the 3XP and the Pegasus for a couple of years before upgrading to Holo Audio for my main system, and I still use the 3XP and Pegasus office use.

Jan 13, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #3,068 of 3,132

Agree- the 3XP is a great entree for the Burson line - it has an added feature in its ability to be used in power amp mode, bypassing the volume control, if say you wanted to use it with, say a tube pre-amp to give some colour. It has good dynamics, some find it a bit bright in the treble region but I never did. In the end I sold mine to buy the next step up Burson 3XGT, which is great and is better for use with harder to drive headphones (Susvaras)- but the 3XP can itself be used as a preamp as it has balanced pre-outs, so for instance to feed a Benchmark AHB2. What will you be driving with it headphone or speaker-wise?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #3,069 of 3,132
Agree- the 3XP is a great entree for the Burson line - it has an added feature in its ability to be used in power amp mode, bypassing the volume control, if say you wanted to use it with, say a tube pre-amp to give some colour. It has good dynamics, some find it a bit bright in the treble region but I never did. In the end I sold mine to buy the next step up Burson 3XGT, which is great and is better for use with harder to drive headphones (Susvaras)- but the 3XP can itself be used as a preamp as it has balanced pre-outs, so for instance to feed a Benchmark AHB2. What will you be driving with it headphone or speaker-wise?
I have just bought a HifiMan Serenade but returning it due to a fault, but I was never 100% happy with having an AIO system.

I saw the 3XP and despite the amp alone costing as much, I can’t stopping thinking it’s what I want inc getting on the separates upgrade path.

Headphones I have Audio Quest Night Owls (which sounded amazing on the R2R Serenade), HifiMan Arya Stealth, Senn 660s, Fostex TH-X00, TinHifi P1 and Xenn Mangrid Top IEM.

later I will want to hook up my active speakers (Sony La Scala electrostatics, old but I love them), but may replace at a later date.

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #3,070 of 3,132
I have just bought a HifiMan Serenade but returning it due to a fault, but I was never 100% happy with having an AIO system.

I saw the 3XP and despite the amp alone costing as much, I can’t stopping thinking it’s what I want inc getting on the separates upgrade path.

Headphones I have Audio Quest Night Owls (which sounded amazing on the R2R Serenade), HifiMan Arya Stealth, Senn 660s, Fostex TH-X00, TinHifi P1 and Xenn Mangrid Top IEM.

later I will want to hook up my active speakers (Sony La Scala electrostatics, old but I love them), but may replace at a later date.
What will you use for a DAC?- I would recommend something in the Schiit audio stable, perhaps with your gear and stage a Bifrost 2/64?

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #3,071 of 3,132
I'm almost close to pulling the trigger on the 3X as I feel it'll provide some of my difficult to drive planars a boost in warmth & musicality. The one I'm holding most of my hopes on are the Dan Clark E3...I'm sure they'll drive them fine but would appreciate if any could share how they did on the 3X seeing that they're very technical?

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #3,072 of 3,132
I'm almost close to pulling the trigger on the 3X as I feel it'll provide some of my difficult to drive planars a boost in warmth & musicality. The one I'm holding most of my hopes on are the Dan Clark E3...I'm sure they'll drive them fine but would appreciate if any could share how they did on the 3X seeing that they're very technical?
I’ve not checked the specs between the two, but I have just bought an open box soloist 3X GT at a newly discovered hifi shop near me and good god, this thing has enough power to power a flux capacitor. Think the GT is 10w?

I’m flabbergasted how good it is…..in my very limited knowledge.

I asked about a none silly priced closed back and the Aeon 2 Noire was very enthusiastically recommended, “just don’t listen to the E3’s tho” he said. Now the Noires are already ruined lol.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #3,073 of 3,132
I asked about a none silly priced closed back and the Aeon 2 Noire was very enthusiastically recommended, “just don’t listen to the E3’s tho” he said. Now the Noires are already ruined lol.
With EQ the Noire are still great and lively. And they're pretty light so you can wear them without trouble.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #3,074 of 3,132
I’ve not checked the specs between the two, but I have just bought an open box soloist 3X GT at a newly discovered hifi shop near me and good god, that thing has enough power to power a flux capacitor. Think the GT is 10w?

I’m flabbergasted how good it is…..in my very limited knowledge.

How do the HD800S sound with the GT - few have said it sounds a bit too bright?

Yeah you gotta have your wallet ready if you're wanting to get near the E3 lol

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #3,075 of 3,132
With EQ the Noire are still great and lively. And they're pretty light so you can wear them without trouble.

How do the HD800S sound with the GT - few have said it sounds a bit too bright?

Yeah you gotta have your wallet ready if you're wanting to get near the E3 lol
I tried a pair of E3’s, unplugged so as to not walk out feeling sad lol.

They are very light indeed. As I said I’m new to the higher end of this, but compared to my Arya Stealths they were weightless, equal to the Nightowls

I don’t have the HD800’s, so wouldn’t know if the 3xGT could tame them, I would guess so a little?? It might be defeating the object a little, but adjusting the crossover obviously closes the sound stage and from what I heard brought down the highs a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back