Burson V7 Classic Pro and V7 Vivid Pro - Hi-Fi audiophile solid-state op-amps
Mar 27, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #151 of 189
With this golden front you had to go for the classic!:raised_hands:

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #153 of 189
Hey guys clocking in, long time first time here. I can only echo the same sentiments.

I purchased 4x V7 Vivids and 2x V7 Classics to put into my Soloist 3X GT 2023 (w/SP-02's and 5A supercharger) on the advice of raoultrifan and others. Fed by Gustard R26 and listened to on LCD-X 2021 EQ'ed.

The Vivids arrived a week earlier than the classics and so far around 30 hours burn in total. I first listened to the V7 Vivids in the Gain and Input stages with the V6 Vivid in the volume. There is a definite smoothness and refinement over the V6, lessened the harshness of highs, while bass was more dynamic and punchy. Separation of sound and details seemed slightly enhanced.

Putting the V7 Classics in the input stage and the V7 Vivids in the Volume and Gain stages took that refinement further. The harshness of the relatively "V'shaped" soloist was gone but resolution and detail remained. Mids were pleasantly enhanced. Female vocals and instruments became smooth and sweet. More accurate timbre. A very enjoyable and effortless listening experience without worrying about adjusting the volume during certain parts.

The bass was completely cleaned up of any bloat (I thought was not there in the first place) and instead produced a deep extended bass punch only when the song demanded it. This is a common feeling I experienced, thinking that it was already refined and then unlocking another level of refinement. The depth of stage, layering and holographic effect is also further enhanced I assume from cleaning up excess harshness and bloat.

I agree that the synergy of the 4 Vivids and 2 Classics is very enjoyable and musical. With the spec'ed out Soloist 2023 and R26 together I was already very impressed with the clarity, air, dynamics,layering, depth and dark background this setup revealed on the LCD-X I thought was not possible on these cans. The V7 combo takes that a couple steps further.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #154 of 189
I appreciate you homey for this...I just ordered the V7 vivids
Just replaced a V6 Vivid by the V7 Vivid in my Little Dot mk1 with Mullard tubes.
First impression: Stage is much bigger and deeper, separation is better, dynamics too. Very detailed. The Tago Studio 3 is more controled.
Bass is tight, more real. I am really surprised about this cheap combination!
If you are sensibel on highs, take the classic. For my old ears the Vivid in combination with tubes is just right.
Don't need the adapter of the V6 anymore. V7 fits in the Little Dot perfectly without.
thanks for this...just ordered the V7 vivids. Cant wait to see how they scale up in my D10 and D10s

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #156 of 189
I received my pair of V7 Vivids and V7 Classics. A lot of you were wondering how the new Vivids compare to the Sparkos SS2590. I will begin my testing and come back at some point in the near future with impressions.

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #159 of 189
Yes, SS2590 vs V7 please! 😮👍
My very early impressions after trying a lot of different configurations with my Burson Soloist 3X GT is that the SS2590 is still king. But the V7 Vivid is pretty close. If size and money are considerations, V7 Vivids are a great alternative.

I will caveat to say that A/B testing op amps is really difficult. I have to first get a good listening session in on my baseline configuration, then unplug everything, open up the case, plop in the op amps, close the case, plug everything back in, and fire up the same songs, by which point my memory of what I heard is likely compromised. Rinse/repeat.

What I can get from rolling op amps is the overall tonality shift. Kind of within the range of bright and airy to heavy and muddy. My hearing isn't sophisticated enough to pick out a ton of subtlety. Sorry!

That said, here are my first impressions. In the voltage gain stage where my SS2590 has lived for months, the V7 Vivids provide impressive resolution, soundstage, imaging, and dynamics. The attack is about equal on both, but the V7 Vivids seem slightly less precise. The SS2590 has more weight and texture, better decay, and overall wins in detail retrieval.

I'm splitting hairs. Both are really good.

My favorite configuration so far has been the following:

• Voltage Stage: SS2590
  • Input Stage: V7 Vivid (replacing the SIL994)
  • Volume Stage: SS2590

Where the SIL994 gave me loads of weighty, impactful (but slightly boomy) bass, the V7 Vivids makes up for it with resolution and tighter, faster bass.

My second favorite configuration, which I'm going to stick with for a while to get used to the sound long-term before experimenting more:

• Voltage Stage: V7 Vivids
  • Input Stage: SS2590
  • Volume Stage: V7 Classics

I don't like the Classis in the voltage or input stages; it heavily colors the sound signature, IMO. Not my cup of tea (for now). But in the volume stage, arguagly the least impactful stage for the amp, it does a nice job of smoothing out the edges of the music and giving a sense of cohesion and holography.

So far, it's not about the V7 Vivids replacing the SS2590, but rather finding combinations with it.

If I were subjectively to rank the op amps I have:

1. SS2590
  2. Tie between V7 Vivids and SIL994, with the former providing more air/space/faster bass and the latter providing more weight/bass impact. Both seem equal in terms of detail retrieval.
  3. V7 Classics
  4. Tie between SS3602 and Muzg Audio
  5. V6 Vivids

More to come...

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #160 of 189
post some pic's...
soon...just got them, and I need to get an extender for them. These are too big for the Toppings I have unfortunately. I though they'd be short enough to fit the case...nope.

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #161 of 189
My very early impressions after trying a lot of different configurations with my Burson Soloist 3X GT is that the SS2590 is still king. But the V7 Vivid is pretty close. If size and money are considerations, V7 Vivids are a great alternative.

Up to this point I've owned V5 and both of V6. All of them changed a lot for the better with burn-in. I remember SS2590 sounding let's say 80% out of the box, and the Burson 60%.

So given the fact that you've been using the 2590 for quite some time inside the GT, perhaps the gap (if any) in the end will be so small it won't be worthy to be even mentioned...

Apr 1, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #162 of 189
I completed 130 hours of burn in with opamps in the position I left from the previous post: with the V7 Classics in the Input stage and V7 Vivids in Gain and Volume stages of the Soloist.

I then tested the combos in order for several hours after:

(1) V7 Classic in Input, V7 Vivid in Gain & Volume
(2) V7 Classic in Volume, V7 Vivid in Gain & Input
(3) V7 Classic in Gain, V7 Vivid Input & Volume
(4) V6 Vivids

When first listened to (1) after the burn in I immediately noticed elevated warmth compared to before. I EQ my LCD-X 2021 (bass shelf and elevate the recessed upper mids) and for a darker can this was now a tad too warm. I turned down the bass shelf a couple db and it was much better. Decay and trailing tones bumped up a notch, making for a more airy and acoustic presentation.

When I switched to Classic in Volume (2) and then back to (1) I noticed more dynamics and punch of the Vivid in (2) that seemed enjoyable on the LCD-X. In (1) the mid range focus became apparent. It was like the lead vocal/instrument took 2 steps forward and the band/background took 2 steps back. This disparity jarred me slightly as I was not used to a mid forward sound. I found I was increasing the volume to hear more of the background only to be hit by a loud center vocal.

I was ready to accept that the Classics were a tad colored for my liking as CFGamescape alluded to in his early impressions. I then thought what the heck, lets try the Classics in Gain (3). That should sound even more overly mid-focused and unbalanced, after hearing (2) shouldn't it?

I was shocked to be proven wrong. What I heard was an amazing combination of the punchy dynamics, speed, resolution and detail retrieval the Vivids brought, with a golden, lush mid-range elevated to just the perfect level with the Classics. The Classics opened right up. It's like the band came back 2 steps toward the lead, was put on steroids along with the lead and they were placed in an pro treated auditorium with the audience sitting 10 seats back. The V7 traits of both Vivid/Classic shined with this combo - refinement, control, clarity, space and layering of sounds.

Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer has always been a tough yardstick of mine for harsh sibilance, dynamics and depth. The (3) combo knocks it out of the park. I have never heard that song with such ease and enjoyment. Toto - Rosanna comes alive, while in Diana Krall - Temptation, bass, guitar, percussion and vocals are in total harmonic balance and richness.

How did this happen? I suspect it was further burn in (many of you guys have said the more burn in the better with burson opamps) And/or actually physically rotating the opamp positions. I said before I received the Vivids a week earlier and they slotted in easily like the V6's. Some of you said it was hard to insert the V7's on the board and I has this difficulty with the Classics. I had to stop myself from bending the pins - you just need to position it bang on top and firmly guide in. After going back and forth between the combos several times, the Classics became easier to slot in after being 'devirginized'.

I now hear the differences between the combos are now nuanced. The dynamics of the Vivids are always there, while the influence of the Classics on mids and depth is slightly affected by the stage. And perhaps that's the just the general signature of the ratio of 4 Vivids-2 Classics. If it was 2 Vivids-4 Classics or 6 Vivids/Classics then it would make greater difference.

After all that I went back to the original V6 Vivids and boy is it a step down. The edges were harsh, dynamics were flatter, vocals and instruments at the same level of depth and they lacked clarity. I found that the previously EQ'd LCD-X lows compensated for the lack of natural dynamics and how different those two sound. Funny how what I was impressed by before now sounds lacking.

I'm pleasantly surprised after this further burn in. I would say it is very much worth it for the Soloist and my setup. I had my eye on the Sparkos and SIL opamps while you guys were enjoying them last year and then Burson announced the V7 so I waited. Look forward to reading more of your comparisons.

Apr 1, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #163 of 189
I'm now at about 400 hours... I noticed several times during burn-in - sound shifting to overly warm, diminished details and lost sparkle from first several days....then another day more balanced...now at the end it's neutral and excessive warmth has been lost...so it's shifts up and down until it's cooked...IMHO.

I also got two V7 Vivids to test combos 2+1, but I feel sorry to remove Classics as they sing so seductive :)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #164 of 189
Yes, I noticed the same thing. The pins might be thicker and maybe attached to the circuit board a fraction wider than with V6, so you need to line them up perfectly on the socket to even have a hope of inserting them.
this is true... can confirm. You have to be very careful and mindful in lining up the pins

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #165 of 189
I've now replaced the V6 Vivids with V7 Classics in my Playmate 2. The sound is... different, I'm not sure if I like it yet and the op-amps are still fresh. The sound seems more relaxed (slower?), some sounds are less sharp and fatiguing (old jazz brass) and overall everything feels larger, but sometimes treble sounds feel like I have Pop Rocks in my mouth, I guess that's the "sparkly highs" Burson is talking about? I pay attention to singer's saliva more lol. Honestly though, I'm not sure the price I paid was worth it, but who knows, I might get used to this.

[edit] Bass definitely hits harder and deeper! There's more texture and life (movement?) in the bass too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back