Call to all Head-Fi members - I need help / guidance please
Feb 3, 2016 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33
Hello fellow Head-Fiers

Most of you know me - mainly through my reviews, or my help on the forums.  I can be a hot-head at times.  I can also be a bit pedantic. But underneath it all, I have tried to be forthright and maintain a pretty high moral standing.

With my reviews - I started about 5 years ago, first reviewing my own gear, and then slowly - as I became more known, taking the opportunity to review manufacturers gear when the opportunity rose (threads on Head-Fi with audio companies reaching out for volunteers), and lately it has been mainly the companies coming to me.

Especially in the last 2-3 years, I've lived by a few simple rules - and I'm pretty sure I've explained these to everyone who sends me product:

1. I don't usually ever solicit review samples - the only company I've actually asked for a sample recently has been 1964Ears - I asked for a sample of their U10 (I own and will be reviewing shortly my own U6), but also stated I was happy paying freight there and back.
  2. With every review sample sent - every company knows that I am willing to return the product following the review - as long as they are OK paying the freight.
  3. If they choose to leave it with me - then I regard it as their property, and available for return whenever they require it
  4. Most audio companies are happy to leave me the product - so I can answer people's questions on it in the forums, do follow up comparisons, and generally continue to assist users of their products.  I enjoy doing this so it is no burden.  And because of my location (New Zealand), many manufacturers don't want to pay freight back for an item they have already had written off in their budget.
  5. I never regard the product as mine - unless I pay for it.  And I have bought a lot of products - either the review samples themselves, or direct retail - over the years.  I also make a policy of trying to buy (as I can afford it) anything that I use regularly for my own pleasure. The last product I purchased was the q-Jays review sample.
  6. I have also turned down approaches from review sites offering payment for what I do. The reason I've done this is simple - if I'm paid, how can you trust me to be unbiased?

In my reviews - I have previously openly stated a disclaimer on how the product was provided.  Usually this took the form of:

I was provided the [name of product] as a review unit. I have no other association or affiliation with [name of company].  I do not make any financial gain from this review – it is has been written simply as my way of providing feedback both to the Head-Fi community and also [name of company] themselves.

I've been told by an individual on this forums that this is misleading, and deliberately trying to obfuscate the truth.  So in my last review I modified it slightly to read:

The [name of product] was provided to me gratis as a review sample.  I have made it clear to [name of company] that I still regard any product they send me as their sole property and available for return any time at their request. But I thank them for the ability to continue use of the [name of product] – both for follow up comparisons and also for my own personal use.

Again I have been told by someone that I am being dishonest, that I should be setting a better example, and one commenter even said I was weaseling.  If you go to this thread - you can probably catch the mood a little.

I want to make it clear - I am totally in favour of disclosure - I always have been.  But the gear is not "free".  I don't own it.  I can't sell it, or give it away (unless I had the express permission of the manufacturer first anyway).  The sole reason I have my own set of rules is so that I don't get caught up in the cycle of writing reviews to get the product.  It's not why I do it. Believe it or not, I review because I genuinely enjoy the process.

I will use the word gratis in future simply because the real meaning is closer to what I am doing.  Receiving the products without payment or recompense.

So please help me.  The poll is easy.  What are your views?  Am I deliberately trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes?  Am I weaseling?  I probably should have ignored the few who are determined to turn this into an issue - but I can't.  My own sense of ethic won't allow it.

Please help me with your own view point, and comment in this thread if you'd like to.  One way or the other I will abide by the community's decision.

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 33
Paul, simply by taking the time to ask, starting a poll, and willing to adjust speaks volumes. Some people just want to see the world burn. Sounds like jealousy to me and it is a powerful emotion and obviously some simply let it rule. Actually, I've found that your disclaimers and 'about me' sections have been more than enough disclosure. You are putting in a lot of time, far and above what most reviews on this site entail, and I am glad if a manufacturer wants to leave their gear with you.

Your time is valuable but the benefit to the manufacturer is exponentially so. The exposure they get from your detailed and in depth reviews is worth a lot and above and beyond. Advertising costs a lot of money and leaving a piece of gear with a reviewer is simply a small drop in the manufacturers budget considering the exposure they get. The fact that this is even an issue with some people grates on my nerves. Compared to most reviews on this site (and others outside this site) I don't think I've read more unbiased and straight shooting comments in a review, with facts to back up your statements.

My recent review of the Mojo has above 30K views and it's the fifth hit in a Google search. A few months after my review Chord has reached out to me and allowed me to keep the unit (I'm very appreciative) and they are more than happy to do it because of the 'work' I put in. Before this I was waiting for a response to send the Mojo back. You my friend do so much more than I do in my reviews and if the manufacturer wants to leave their gear with you that's up to the manufacturer, but your reviews never reflect any sort of expectation of this. I just don't get some people.

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 33
I slightly edited the above post - because I had wrongly stated that the proponents of using the word "free" - were inferring that I was reviewing for the "free" gear.  This was a conclusion I should not have jumped to - and I have edited the post accordingly.

My apologies.

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 33
Thanks Craig - I just don't want there ever to be an expectation that I'm doing this for the freebies.  I don't think people realise how strongly I feel about this.

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 33
Thanks Craig - I just don't want there ever to be an expectation that I'm doing this for the freebies.  I don't think people realise how strongly I feel about this.

I'm not sure what more you could do. I mean, you could express how strongly you feel about not soliciting reviews for gear, or even your stance on ownership, but others will believe what they want to believe. I feel bad for this type of situation because I know you are coming from a genuine place with a strong moral compass. It's hard to trust but it is what it is.

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 33
Brooko...big hugs...dun sweat those detractors..
N go down a bottle of the best NZ sauvignon blanc !!

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 33
So I've read the thread you linked and the issue of reviewing free 'sample' gear vs purchased gear is absurd in my opinion. Yes, if you are a shill for a company and gloss over glaring faults then yeah.... but you aren't, and you don't.

How else can you get to your review level without a large sample size of different gear unless you're independently wealthy with nothing but free time? The amount of gear you review is a benefit to the community as you have a broad base to draw from for comparisons and a lot experience to share. Without this exposure I wouldn't trust the reviewer to know what they are talking about.

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #9 of 33
Paul,

I think it's important to explain how we got the product in the review. That's it. Let people draw whatever assumptions they would like.

There's been times I've written reviews and been accused of hyping a product because I got a review sample, when the truth is I actually paid for it or offered to mail it back at my own expense. Other times I've been accused of bashing something because I have "special interests" when that isn't ever the case. I've lost review opportunities because I chose to be honest. That doesn't bother me because at the end of the day I have a clear conscience. Sadly these assumptions are drawn because there are politics in this hobby we share. It's the thing I dislike the most about it.

It's the writing of the review that shows our integrity and honesty about a product. I can usually tell right away if someone is gushing about something because they got their hands on it for free.

Technically, all review samples are not ours because we can't sell them like they're our property. I see them more as tools to help fix people's situations when in the market for a particular product. As a reviewer, the more tools I have the better I can help someone find the best product for their budget. If a company wants to send me a product because they feel it is a well performing item, and I have the time to review it and am curious to try it, I will. My reviews will be honest and my recommendations will be based on how well it performs.

We don't only write reviews, we also are audio enthusiasts. I don't know about you but the way I see it, this is an opportunity to find out what is good/better/best at each particular price range that goes beyond my means of income. Being able to recommend products based on my experience is an honor and a pleasure. Our knowledge based on our experience with lots products is a valuable resource to manufacturers and potential customers. We do a service for both. The sad reality is that some people are driven to kiss butt and hype products for no other reason than they got it for free. It's a sad reality but something that almost always works itself out in the end.

I think for some people it's about getting their hands on as many products as they can, and doing it out of greed. For others it's about experiencing as many products as possible in an effort to share our experience with the Head-Fi community, and for them to have something to base their next purchase off of.

As for the disclaimer, I say let them think whatever they want. If you know you're doing the right thing you're going to get whatever results were meant to be. Worrying about what someone says about your disclaimer is inheriting someone else's anger.

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #10 of 33
Another BIG thing I'd like to point out. There comes a time in this hobby of reviewing where you have enough earphones and DAPs to retire and ride off into the sunset LOL, that's just being honest. Truth be told, I continue to review because I enjoy this hobby and love reviewing, not because I need more earphones and gear. I get excited when I hear about new products that look promising. I want to be the guy that evaluates them for all those who are also curious, and let them know if it is a worthwhile purchase.

Reviews are A LOT of work. For me it takes about 5-7 hours, sometimes more. This doesn't include the time we spend listening, taking notes, comparing them to other models and so on. Sometimes we're doing this knowing that the product isn't all that good, but still we do it because we said we would. Think about that for a minute. If anybody thinks we're just slapping these things together, they should think again.

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #13 of 33
Brooko,

Let's face it, no matter what you do there will be:-

1. fans after your autograph,and,
2. feral fanatics after your hide, and,
3. those who don't even care that you even exist.

Heck, there those who complain that the ten commandments are:-
1. too brief,
2. too longwinded,
3. too specific,
4. not specific enough,
5. not written by the specified author,
6. not translated properly,
7. not relevant for today,
8. not relevant in any historical time period,
9. etc, etc, ad hoc, ad addendum, ad nauseum, ad infinitum.

That's to say, there will ALWAYS be those who misunderstand your position due to various personal issues in their small brains.

At the end of the day you can only state your position as clearly as you can to answer your critics.

This does not stop them from:-
1. misunderstanding your motives,
2. disbelieving your motives,
3. be envious/jealous of your talents and service here on Head-Fi

So, do what most successful and honest people in your position do.

i.e. look at the criticisms in the light of their context as expressed, and,
1. take the valid criticisms on board and improve your product,
2, ignore the false accusations as dwelling on them wastes your valuable time, and,
3. keep enjoying this great outlet for your talents here on Head-Fi for the education of those others who wish to avail themselves of your wisdom and knowledge.

Just because the carping critics may not go away does not mean that you have to.  
wink_face.gif

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #14 of 33
  Brooko,

Let's face it, no matter what you do there will be:-

1. fans after your autograph,and,
2. feral fanatics after your hide, and,
3. those who don't even care that you even exist.

Heck, there those who complain that the ten commandments are:-
1. too brief,
2. too longwinded,
3. too specific,
4. not specific enough,
5. not written by the specified author,
6. not translated properly,
7. not relevant for today,
8. not relevant in any historical time period,
9. etc, etc, ad hoc, ad addendum, ad nauseum, ad infinitum.

That's to say, there will ALWAYS be those who misunderstand your position due to various personal issues in their small brains.

At the end of the day you can only state your position as clearly as you can to answer your critics.

This does not stop them from:-
1. misunderstanding your motives,
2. disbelieving your motives,
3. be envious/jealous of your talents and service here on Head-Fi

So, do what most successful and honest people in your position do.

i.e. look at the criticisms in the light of their context as expressed, and,
1. take the valid criticisms on board and improve your product,
2, ignore the false accusations as dwelling on them wastes your valuable time, and,
3. keep enjoying this great outlet for your talents here on Head-Fi for the education of those others who wish to avail themselves of your wisdom and knowledge.

Just because the carping critics may not go away does not mean that you have to.  
wink_face.gif

some just do it for fun.........trolls.............. 

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #15 of 33
"Don't build a bunker Brooko.
Walk over to theirs and throw a grenade in it.
Then walk away."

LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back