Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 25, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #15,196 of 19,143
Having fun right now hanging out in my basement watching Sunday Night Football and spinning some Jethro Tull on reel :)

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #15,198 of 19,143
Ha! No the TT isn't as high up as it looks :wink:

The tape is MU: The Best of Jethro Tull

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #15,199 of 19,143
Quote:
Nice man! Two questions, which Tull album, and do you use a ladder to get to that turntable? Lol

Ha! No the TT isn't as high up as it looks
wink.gif

The tape is MU: The Best of Jethro Tull

I don't know about that...seemed high up to me. Skylab is just tall.
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #15,205 of 19,143
Shouldn't those speakers be the other way around so that the tweeter/midrange units are on the outside edge?  That would give you almost 2 feet more separation at the frequencies that matter.

That's how I always did it too, but maybe it works better in his room to have them in.

Right...I tried them outside but in spite of how the room may look from the pic that meant they were too far to the outside and there was no stable center image. The listening position isn't as far back as I would like but not much I can do about the foundation wall :D

I'm 49 years old and have been at this a while...

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #15,206 of 19,143
Right...I tried them outside but in spite of how the room may look from the pic that meant they were too far to the outside and there was no stable center image. The listening position isn't as far back as I would like but not much I can do about the foundation wall
biggrin.gif

I'm 49 years old and have been at this a while...

What kind of speakers are those?  I've been thinking about building a dedicated listening room and wanted to upgrade my speakers.  I don't know if I should go for vintage or new with some RAAL ribbons.  I've always wanted to try Ascend Acoustics, so they are at the top of the list.

I was also thinking of building my own speakers with some raw drivers but I'm not to good at reading schematics, so putting together the crossovers is kind of intimidating.

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #15,207 of 19,143
They are B&W DM-16's. I like them a lot, although I do prefer the Pioneer DSS-9's in my attic rig. My "best" speakers of course are my B&W Nautilus 800's, but it's nice to have variety :D

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #15,208 of 19,143
I'm actually considering picking up a pair of Golden Ear Triton 7's. Awesome sounding speakers for 1400. They have a folded ribbon tweeter. Heard them last week and was impressed. I hate to get rid of my Dahlquist dq-20's, but they are just too big for my room.
I went out last week and listened to B&W, Paradigm, Martin Logan, Focal and Golden Ear models under 1500, and the Golden Ears were in another league. The Focals were pretty nice, and were in the lead until I heard the Golden Ears, then it was game over. I may pick them up next month. I'll let you guys know

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #15,210 of 19,143
They are B&W DM-16's. I like them a lot, although I do prefer the Pioneer DSS-9's in my attic rig. My "best" speakers of course are my B&W Nautilus 800's, but it's nice to have variety
biggrin.gif

If i had a set of 800's I think I would like them best too 
wink.gif

Wait.. so you have a basement rig, an attic rig, and I bet the 800's are in the main listening room...

I'm actually considering picking up a pair of Golden Ear Triton 7's. Awesome sounding speakers for 1400. They have a folded ribbon tweeter. Heard them last week and was impressed. I hate to get rid of my Dahlquist dq-20's, but they are just too big for my room.
I went out last week and listened to B&W, Paradigm, Martin Logan, Focal and Golden Ear models under 1500, and the Golden Ears were in another league. The Focals were pretty nice, and were in the lead until I heard the Golden Ears, then it was game over. I may pick them up next month. I'll let you guys know

Yup, thats the same budget that allowed for myselft. How are the Golden Ears?  I'm looking for something on the warmer side with great imaging and staging.

Looks like I'm going to have to go visit all the high end audio shops to audition everything....bummer...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back