Can our ears get trained?
Aug 19, 2017 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ahmadfaizadnan

1000+ Head-Fier
In the past year, I always have an issue with treble. Most of the time, I can't tolerate with the hot treble coming from headphones like TH900 and T90 even HD800. I used to play with EQ to reduce the 6k and 8k peaks. Lately, I sent my T90 for balanced recable and buy a balanced cable for my HD800. After getting both of them, listen to them for more than 100 hours now, I realize that I can tolerate with the hot treble without EQ. All the songs that I heard piercing my ears before, can now be listened with ease. I am not saying the headphone treble is rolled off now; everything that I heard before is still there but listenable. I am confuse if it's because of the cable or my ears are trained to listen to the pierced treble now. Do anyone have a thought in this?

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 23
There is a difference in frequency range sensitivity with different age-groups. The younger you are, the highs extend much greater than somebody older, but the treble we typically refer to when it comes to brightness of sound, it isn't very high, but around 6k or so. For example, people complain about the HD800 6k treble, and my experience is that I cannot tolerate it. It sounds very dry/analytical to boot.

Typically, the auditory system adjust to the sound signature over time, and later on it may either sound better over time or worse I think. Although up to some extent I can get used to brighter signature, there is a limit to my tolerance and the HD800 6k was just too much! Some people prefer smoother, recessed highs, and one of the reasons is it doesn't amount to hearing fatigue.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 23
There is a difference in frequency range sensitive with different age-groups. Younger you are, the highs extend much greater than somebody older, but the treble we typically refer to when it comes to brightness of sound, it isn't very high, but around 6k or so. There are lot of complaints about the HD800 6k treble, and my experience is that I cannot tolerate it.

Typically, the auditory system adjust to the sound signature over time, and later on it may either sound better over time or worse I think. Although up to some extent I can get used to brighter signature, there is a limit to my tolerance and the HD800 6k was just too much! Some people prefer smoother, recessed highs, and one of the reasons is it doesn't amount to hearing fatigue.

I can never tolerate to HD800 6k and for that reason I go for the SDR mod. As for my T90, I never do any significant mod except move the foam to the back of the driver but the treble is still hot at times. After the balanced recable, I realize that it is not as pierced as I remember it was. I used to not believe in cable could change any sonic performance except for cleaner sound that leads to a better clarity; but now, I am curious if the cable do really change the sonic performance or FR even by bit.

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 23
I dunno why people even try! Sadists? LOL.

It maked no reasonable sense for me. You pay that much to correct the damn thing? That is so wrong. Why should you get use to the sound?

As you can imagine, I really dislike what HD800 is about.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 23
I dunno why people even try! Sadists? LOL.

It maked no rrasonable sens for me. You pay that much to correct the damn thing? That is so wrong.

Right. That's what I thought at first. I always wonder why people spend on cable that sometimes even more expensive than the headphone itself. But, I am so confused with what I am hearing right now.

As you can imagine, I really dislike what HD800 is about.

IMO, the HD800 SDR mod is quite good, never had any problem with the 6k peak anymore. I love everything about the HD800 except the 6k and since it's gone now, the headphone is a keep for me.

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 23
The T90 is terribly bright. Maybe it sounds good when I'm 90. :)

Biologically you cannot train the ear. You can however relax the ear.

You sent you headphone away. How long where they gone? Your brain is awesome. It remembers the "this headphones sound".

You can train your mind. With science, listening experience and lots of reading. That makes you an educated listener. In my mind a better listener. (Of gear)

Can cables be built to roll of the treble?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 23
The T90 is terribly bright. Maybe it sounds good when I'm 90. :)

I agree. But, thing's changed now :nerd:

How long where they gone? Your brain is awesome. It remembers the "this headphones sound".

Probably my brain is awesome :laughing:
About a month. I did remember how bad it pierced my ears before that results in EQ-ing the T90.

Can cables be built to roll of the treble?

I don't think so and now, I would not say that the treble is rolled off; everything is still there but somehow they are listenable. I still remember that I can only listen to 'Billy jean' by Michael Jackson for 30 seconds at most through my Liquid Carbon (volume knob at 10 o'clocks on high gain). But now, as I said, thing has changed.

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 23
Perhaps you've incurred hearing damage and you can't hear loud treble any more.

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 23
Right. That's what I thought at first. I always wonder why people spend on cable that sometimes even more expensive than the headphone itself. But, I am so confused with what I am hearing right now.
I think the condition of how you feel you hear or generally hear change at different times(as we biological beings are not in consistent conditions). Have you notice at a certain points many things can sound good? I realized that this can apply to whatever quality level of gear, and thus I think it's the auditory system or the brain at condition to hear it very well. Can it be analogous to how we see? Don't we have times our vision doesn't seem optimal or tired?

So, I think the conditions of how you hear changes at times. Perhaps your ears maybe sensitive to certain ranges more so than other times(we are after all biological, not machines, and our brains are really not consistant. LOL.)

So, there are things you have to keep in consideration that are likely on the biological side.

IMO, the HD800 SDR mod is quite good, never had any problem with the 6k peak anymore. I love everything about the HD800 except the 6k and since it's gone now, the headphone is a keep for me.
Good riddens! LOL.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 23
In the past year, I always have an issue with treble. Most of the time, I can't tolerate with the hot treble coming from headphones like TH900 and T90 even HD800. I used to play with EQ to reduce the 6k and 8k peaks. Lately, I sent my T90 for balanced recable and buy a balanced cable for my HD800. After getting both of them, listen to them for more than 100 hours now, I realize that I can tolerate with the hot treble without EQ. All the songs that I heard piercing my ears before, can now be listened with ease. I am not saying the headphone treble is rolled off now; everything that I heard before is still there but listenable. I am confuse if it's because of the cable or my ears are trained to listen to the pierced treble now. Do anyone have a thought in this?
you think there is no change in signature but you don't know that for a fact. also balanced cable IMO means a change of amp specs more than different cable. not that a cable cannot change the sound compared to another cable if the specs are different enough, it's just less likely to be an audible change in a relatively fine setup.
and of course at least some elements of getting new stuff, and your expectations of it, must play some part in all this. after all if you didn't think it would improve your sound, you wouldn't have sent a headphone to be recabled to balance in the first place, or probably bothered getting a balanced amp.
without measurements of your rig before and after, you will get opinions you like and want to agree with, and opinions you don't like, but no answer based on facts. if you're happier now, congrats. that's all I can say.

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 23
Perhaps you've incurred hearing damage and you can't hear loud treble any more.

I guess I should check just in case :ksc75smile:

I think the condition of how you feel you hear or generally hear change at different times(as we biological beings are not in consistent conditions). Have you notice at a certain points many things can sound good? I realized that this can apply to whatever quality level of gear, and thus I think it's the auditory system or the brain at condition to hear it very well. Can it be analogous to how we see? Don't we have times our vision doesn't seem optimal or tired?

So, I think the conditions of how you hear changes at times. Perhaps your ears maybe sensitive to certain ranges more so than other times(we are after all biological, not machines, and our brains are really not consistant. LOL.)

So, there are things you have to keep in consideration that are likely on the biological side

I have been using the same setup (wyrd - matrix X-Sabre - Liquid Carbon) since the last time I heard the headphones. I guess my brain process the sharpness of the sound at certain ranges differently than how it was.

you think there is no change in signature but you don't know that for a fact. also balanced cable IMO means a change of amp specs more than different cable. not that a cable cannot change the sound compared to another cable if the specs are different enough, it's just less likely to be an audible change in a relatively fine setup.
and of course at least some elements of getting new stuff, and your expectations of it, must play some part in all this. after all if you didn't think it would improve your sound, you wouldn't have sent a headphone to be recabled to balance in the first place, or probably bothered getting a balanced amp.
without measurements of your rig before and after, you will get opinions you like and want to agree with, and opinions you don't like, but no answer based on facts. if you're happier now, congrats. that's all I can say.

Yeah, this might also be the case. The only reason I sent the T90 for recable is because I want to utilize the balance out from my amp and that same reason justify why I ordered the balance cable for my HD800. To be completely honest, I do expect a better clarity but that's it. Maybe those cables helps in picking up more warmness coming from my LC. Like you said, the hype of getting new stuff and my expectation might be the other reason to it; Of course, a rig measurement is a better way to verify the case but the thought just came and I am quite new to the audio world myself (I don't really know how to measure my rig but I'll definitely learn how to do it :beyersmile: ). I never had any intention to hear and accept only the opinion that could satisfy my case. I just want to hear the thoughts from those who might have experience the same thing. But yeah, as compare to before, I am happier now.

Thanks for the reply though. Appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back