Can the fiio Q1 power DT-990 Pro
Dec 13, 2015 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Durza

Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi, this is my first post so thanks ahead of time for any replies! 
The title is pretty self explanatory i want to know if the new fiio Q1 is enough to power the 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro's. As it is a fairly new amp there are few helpful reviews on this topic. I read that the Q1 replaced the E07k, but there seemed to be mixed opinions on if the E07k could power the DT-990 Pro's. Any relevant info on any DT-Pro's and the E07k-Q1 is greatly appreciated. I am a fairly mobile person and a desktop amp just isn't an option, and my budget is sub-100 for an amp(hopefully dac/amp combo). If there is a better option than the Q1 I'd like to know of it! Thanks so much!!!

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 5
Bump - Getting the Q1 as a mobile amp and it might be my only decent amp for a couple of weeks in which time I plan to purchase a pair of HD650s. Will it do?

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 5
The Q1 could push both of headphones you each have, but it may not to their full potential.  Unless you need a DAC, I would look at the A3 (more powerful) or the E12 (even more powerful).  I know the Q1 will work, but you'll be on high gain and perhaps close to max volume depending on how hard those headphones are to drive.

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 5
With 190watts at 32ohms and 75watts at 150ohms specs from Fiio it's hard to tell how the power and distortion develop as impedance rises (the THD at those output levels aren't stated either, so we don't know how much is in each or if one of them is higher and by how much, etc). Basically, there's no way to guess if it will have difficulty driving 250ohms.

What I can be sure of though is that the D-Zero can drive the HD600 well, and then there's the Mk2 which is even more powerful. AFAIK the output of the Q1 seems more comparable to the old version, so if it can drive the HD600, the higher sensitivity (I think) of the Sennheiser will be offset by the closed earcup of the DT770 which will keep more ambient noise out. Still, this is just the best kind of guess at this point, very far from a guarantee that it'll work well enough, and we haven't factored in your expectations in there (ie what might be loud enough and clear enough to me might not be the same for you).

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks to both of you for your helpful comments!!! I'm still leaning towards the q1. I reread the q1 review by twister6 and he claims it powers the Audio Technica R70x(470 ohm) and also another 300 ohm headphone pretty well, so I'm sure I'll be fine with the q1. I know impedance doesn't mean everything when it comes to powering headphones, but his review was enough to convince me of the q1's value. Even if it doesn't do well with the dt 990s I'll still have fun with it with my hd 598s and it's dac capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back